Motor Trend--15 Camaro 1LE PP vs 15 Mustang GT PP--Randy Pobst - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Motor Trend--15 Camaro 1LE PP vs 15 Mustang GT PP--Randy Pobst

Good comparison review, however, Camaro 1LE takes home the win!!

Motor Trend Head to Head: 2015 Camaro 1LE vs. new 2015 Mustang 5.0 GT PP - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Randy Pobst: "The Camaro is just plain more fun on a racetrack" and "Camaro is 90% of a Z28."

Jedi D.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	3117
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	387617  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

Garage
As I've said in two other threads, the 1LE is a great car. In other comparisons the 1LE was significantly faster than even the Boss 302. No surprise that it still bested the 2015 Mustang.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
As I've said in two other threads, the 1LE is a great car. In other comparisons the 1LE was significantly faster than even the Boss 302. No surprise that it still bested the 2015 Mustang.
Your historic comparison data is useful. Randy Pobst really knows how to get the most out of a car on the track.

2013 Camaro 1LE 1:22.70
2014 Camaro 1LE 1:22.81
2015 Mustang GT Perf Pack 1:24.32
2013 Mustang GT Track Pack 1:25.77
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 1:27.65
2011 BMW M3 1:27.67
2011 Mustang GT Brembo 1:27.76

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

BOSS Member

Garage
Some of the times are interesting. I wonder how much of the difference in some of the times has to do with different equipment and how much have to do with weather and track conditions. i.e. Brembo GT being two full seconds slower than a Track Pack GT...
PONY Member

Swing and a miss for the Mustang. Well thanks Ford for not making me want to sell my '13 for a '15.

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
Your historic comparison data is useful. Randy Pobst really knows how to get the most out of a car on the track.

2013 Camaro 1LE 1:22.70
2014 Camaro 1LE 1:22.81
2015 Mustang GT Perf Pack 1:24.32
2013 Mustang GT Track Pack 1:25.77
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 1:27.65
2011 BMW M3 1:27.67
2011 Mustang GT Brembo 1:27.76
According to fast laps Randy did not post your last two times.

Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, AED Tuned, Corbeau CR1 seats with Harness, Koni Yellows, Steeda Sport Springs, Strano F/R adjustable sway bars, BMR LCA & PHB, Lethal O/R H, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Goodridge SS lines, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill. Mustang Dyno 379 HP & 371 TQ
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-15-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
My analysis is that the 15 Mustang carries the torch forward with some new features and technologies, along with refined engineering, but the package stops short of "groundbreaking" by not increasing performance to the degree necessary to stay up/eclipse the competition. For those reasons, among others, Ford doesn't offer marketable reasons for Mustang enthusiasts who own 11-14 Mustangs to trade up, especially the Shelby owners. The move to the 15 Mustang makes more sense for those who own older Mustangs (03+04 Terminator owners not withstanding) or are new to the Mustang arena.

For my situation, the 15 Mustang doesn't offer me one compelling reason to take a depreciation hit to trade into a 2015. Besides, I like my "simplified" interior better!

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1679 View Post
According to fast laps Randy did not post your last two times.
According to Motor Trend he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

Also looks like I typo'd the Ecoboost. Time was 1:27.85
Apprentice

I am not too worried about it . . . since I drive on the Interstate every day, I am not exactly one of those people who arrives at the office with brake dust on his glasses.

I bought my car for the looks, acceleration, sound, and somewhat obnoxious attitude - all of which are loads of fun for someone who works at a consulting firm where the ride of choice is a Lexus.

Arguably, I could get all of those things with a Camaro, but I have always been partial to Mustangs. Plus it ticks off my die-hard Chevy disciple of a brother-in-law, haha

Black 2013 Mustang 5.0 MT82 w/401A package and 3.31s

Black 2000 Mustang GT (owned 2001-2013, sold at 177,000 miles)

Brown 1971 Triumph TR6
PONY Member

I'm not very surprised. Seems like they we're aiming to improve the car itself with the 2015 rather than focus on it roasting the competition. Though, the Mustang fanboys are po'd about this. It really doesn't bother me.

It's kinda funny though. I'm reading on Mustang forums on the net and now everyone is saying "Well, the Mustang's interior is much better than the Camaro and a much nicer place to be so who cares"....reminds me of when the 11 GT kept up with the 11 M3 a few years ago and the BMW fanboys would use that argument to justify their car lol.

If anything, this is a good thing to me. It's going to wake Ford up for the 2016/2017 model.

2012 Mustang GT Premium
BLACK on BLACK 401A. A6, HIDs, Security, Rear Camera+Reverse Sensing, Remote Start, Comfort.
-Roush Axle-backs
(Planning on CAI/Tune then I'll be good)
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkandgud View Post
If anything, this is a good thing to me. It's going to wake Ford up for the 2016/2017 model.
+1 on this. I think the Mustang engineers are already working to ramp things up for 2016. The Pony Wars continue....

2011 GT Premium 6M convertible. Sterling Gray w/401A package, charcoal seats w/grabber blue stripe. Security package. Roush front fascia, splitter and rear wing. Black bullit wheels with 18x9 front, 18x10 rear. FRPP suspension. FRPP x-pipe. Roush axle-back exhaust w/square tips. JLT carbon fiber CAI with custom tune. Carbon fiber engine cover & coil pack covers.
BOSS Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryk View Post
+1 on this. I think the Mustang engineers are already working to ramp things up for 2016.
I think this is probably correct. I'm not dissatisfied with 435 hp, and it ended up being rated at exactly what I thought it would be rated, but with the changes that were made to the engine there surely has to be more on the table.

The old tri-power Corvette 427s were rated at 435 hp. Now, a little 302 has the same rating and probably gets three times the fuel economy. NOBODY should be complaining about that.

I think there is a good chance that consumers will see close to, if not more than, 450hp in GT trim within the next few years.

Last edited by Blazin72; 10-16-2014 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Clarification
Apprentice

It's an interesting world when 435hp isn't good enough......

2014 V6 Manual
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryk View Post
+1 on this. I think the Mustang engineers are already working to ramp things up for 2016. The Pony Wars continue....
I thought the last comparison would have been a wake up call.
2013 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE vs. 2013 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack - Motor Trend
Ford had ample time to prepare a GT that could take on the 1LE for roughly the same price

2013 GT, automatic, Brembo brake package
Apprentice

The 2015 Mustang is faster in the 1/4 albeit a small margin. A win is a win. Everyting else the Mustang came in 2nd. Either way I will always be a Mustang guy...period. The Camaro is a great car and this time it beat the Stang. But also remember the Mustang is the one of the most modded cars with the aftermarket. It would not take too much $$ to be better.

But overall, competition makes both cars better for us. Detroit Muscle all the way!!

CJ
2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack, FRPP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton 2-Post Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Springs, A&M Panhard Rod, Steeda CAI & Tune
Save the Manuals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page