Porsche owner considering a 2015 GT - need opinions - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
from a simple man:

The Coyote engine will make you giggle like a little girl when you floor it.

I will suggest if you do get one to temper your expectations to represent the price. It ain't a rare car 2 years old will suck when you trade it it but you know that.
You can lose plenty on a Porsche too... in depreciation and running costs

BTW - what happened to the OP?

Hollister CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd03blown View Post
Are you basing your info off the 1LE track comparison that Randy P. did?

Big difference from a world class driver vs. an average person driving the car in everyday situations with the occasional HPDE thrown in.
No, I'm basing my opinons/observations off my own experiences in owning a 2005 GT and a 2012 Brembo PP GT. The shocks/struts are terrible, body control isn't what it should be. And I'm also basing my opinons/observations off of having ridden in Porsches, what their suspensions are like.

There's really no comparison, Porsches are just much better handling cars. If you step out of a current 911, into a current Mustang, you will be sorely disappointed in the handling department. But better shocks, struts, springs, anti-roll bars, etc., can improve a Mustang's handling to a very high degree.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

I pulled a rear shock yesterday these are much better than anything Ford has used before and I have pulled the rear shocks off a 2010 and a 2011 with Brembo package. These have significant rebound damping. A friend who happens to be a certified Ohlins tech was with me and I trust his judgment having rebuilt and tested hundreds of shocks from all the major manufacturers and he said the same thing never has he seen rebound damping like this on a Ford. I think Ford has learned some real lessons and has applied them to the PP package. Now will they last? Only time will tell.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
These have significant rebound damping.
That's good to hear, but with the extra vehicular weight, including larger wheels/brakes, the suspension should be upgraded a bit. Most reviews I've read don't seem to be that enthusiastic with the suspension overall---it's a nice upgrade compared with the SRA, but it's not game changing either.

It sounds like the suspension is still a weak spot on these cars, despite being improved from the previous car.
GT Member

I'll trust my judgement over magizines that want to sell advertising since magazine sales are so poor.

The PP is an aggressive street car. I can improve a Camaro I can improve a Mustang for the track. I wouldn't buy either car and expect them to be track ready.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

PONY Member

Quote:
I'll trust my judgement over magizines that want to sell advertising since magazine sales are so poor.

The PP is an aggressive street car. I can improve a Camaro I can improve a Mustang for the track. I wouldn't buy either car and expect them to be track ready.
Thanks for you 1st hand information, it's appreciated.

As far as the new Mustang's dampers, based on testing numbers released so far there are still opportunities on that front. And while I hope that Ford has really done a good street suspension with the PP cars, I would still believe that a Porsche driver moving to a Mustang should either have realistic expectations, or be prepared for making mods to the suspension.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Thanks for you 1st hand information, it's appreciated.

As far as the new Mustang's dampers, based on testing numbers released so far there are still opportunities on that front. And while I hope that Ford has really done a good street suspension with the PP cars, I would still believe that a Porsche driver moving to a Mustang should either have realistic expectations, or be prepared for making mods to the suspension.
I don't disagree with that I had expectations it would be better than the S197 I am not disappointed. Will I make changes probably, but will a Porsche owner be immediately disappointed? Depends if he wants to be or not. He could be pleasantly surprised at how much better it was than he expected especially when he remembers he paid half as much.

Alex

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishmuscle View Post
You can lose plenty on a Porsche too... in depreciation and running costs

BTW - what happened to the OP?
Can you spell troll?
PONY Member

Quote:
I don't disagree with that I had expectations it would be better than the S197 I am not disappointed. Will I make changes probably, but will a Porsche owner be immediately disappointed? Depends if he wants to be or not. He could be pleasantly surprised at how much better it was than he expected especially when he remembers he paid half as much.
Could even be a lot less than half as much.

I don't know about other areas, but for poops and giggles I checked used Porsche prices in my area. I was looking at used, late-model 911s.

Porsches hold their value incredibly well in this area.

And, of course, new Porsches can be insanely expensive. I priced out a 911 Carrera S, with not too many options, and it was north of $125k.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Could even be a lot less than half as much.

I don't know about other areas, but for poops and giggles I checked used Porsche prices in my area. I was looking at used, late-model 911s.

Porsches hold their value incredibly well in this area.

And, of course, new Porsches can be insanely expensive. I priced out a 911 Carrera S, with not too many options, and it was north of $125k.
Having owned both, and recently switched to a used 2014 GT, IMO a Mustang is far more fun to own.

No 911 ever made sounds as good as a GT with a nice exhaust on it, and even a stock GT has more power than a 911 or 911S.

But of course everyone on this forum already knows that, so apologies for stating the obvious.

Hollister CA
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think it's encouraging for Ford that Porsche owners are considering the new GT.

I would say that with a 2015 GT, you'd be getting a significant upgrade in tech toys and technology over your 911. You didn't say what year your 911 is, but since it's a 996 it has to be 99-04. So you'll be getting a car that's 10 years newer for about 40K, and I'm sure your 911 will fetch good resale value to the point where you might not have to pay much towards the GT.

From the reviews out there, the Performance Pack appears to be a nice upgrade that delivers superior street performance but still lacks a bit on the track compared to something like a Camaro 1LE. But for 99% of buyers, it will be more than adequate. I would get it just for the upgraded front Brembos alone.

Reviews on the 6 speed auto paddle shifters has been mixed, with some saying it's decent and others saying it's a bit laggy. It's certainly not going to be on par with a VW DCT or Porsche PDK in terms of quick shifts.

Current: 2015 Ford Focus SE

Former: 2007 GT, Satin Silver
GT Member

The autos stock are pretty weak when it comes to response and shifting. A tune turns it into a beast. It's a huge improvement for the performance oriented car owner. They have select and paddle shifters I think. Mine doesn't have that but it does have "hill assist" which makes it much more fun to drive but also drinks the gas more too. Not much beats good ole manual shifting though. From what I've read, everyone in the magazines says the new shifter feels really good. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one now

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishmuscle View Post
Having owned both, and recently switched to a used 2014 GT, IMO a Mustang is far more fun to own.

No 911 ever made sounds as good as a GT with a nice exhaust on it, and even a stock GT has more power than a 911 or 911S.

But of course everyone on this forum already knows that, so apologies for stating the obvious.
911 Ss with the optional power pack make 430HP. And they're lighter, and get their power to the ground much better. And their transmissions are better, and their suspensions are better, and......

Well, that's why they cost 3 times what a Mustang does.

PONY Member

Thumbs up

Maybe I can give you some advice, I'm also a prior 996 owner, that steep into a '11 Mustang GT w/. The sport Brembo package, standard transmission and 3.73 gear. I did the change after I readed on MT how this car went head to head with a car costing almost double the BMW M3.
PROS:
-Mustang's have very strong 5.0 engines
-steering is great
-std. Shifter is very acceptable
-brakes are strong
-you will like the street & road handling
-much lower maintenance cost
-you can personalize it to your own way, very good aftermarket
-More comfortable than your 911. People can really seat in the Mustang backseats, compared to the fake rear 911 seats.

NEGATIVES:
-Handling at the circuit. It will not match the 911's at the track. Mustangs are very heavy while taking the curves, the stock brakes, even the Brembos will go away, if you are driving hard at the track.
-You will notice at very high speed the limited aerodinamics of the Mustang compared to the smoth design of 911's.
-You will miss the exotic looks of your 911. Less people will glance at your car.

Recently I test drove an automatic 3.55 geared '15 Mustang GT
Very strong engine/transmission/gear setup. I Did not had a chance to try it on any curves, I was not able to differentiate the rear suspension upgrade. I personally prefeer the prior muscle car look of the '11-'14 edition.

Probably my next car will be a 1LE or ZL1 Camaro present model or maybe the new designed Camaro.

I don't complain about my Mustang, but is time to change.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73 & Std. transmission, Steeda Sport springs & KONI STRT. GT500 strut mounts, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS + ATE DOT 4, Rear CS style pedestal spoiler. Eleanor style side scoops, "C" style side decals, Black AM BOSS style roof vinyl, black hood custom vinyl & Black pony.
PONY Member

Garage
Listen, the Mustang is a great car for the price (wow, those 2015's optioned out mid 40's, ouch), but even the PP versions have their limits.

My 2014 GT/CS is a cruiser, handles great for DD, but a track star it is not. I remember back to 1985 when I purchased my new 1985 Mustang GT, I thought I was on top of the world....until my ego got smashed and balls handed to me by a 1986 Fiero GT on the roads of the Hocking Hills in Fairfield County, Ohio. Even the SVO's couldn't out handle those Fiero GT's, especially the 1988 version with suspension co-designed with Lotus.

That Fiero opened my eyes to the fact that I truly was: "a legend in my own mind."

When it comes to handling, the Z28's, Porsche's, and Corvettes rule the road......unless you got a huge bank account to work with. If I had $100,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be down at Chevy getting one of those Corvette Stingray Z06's.

Jedi Dave

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page