Porsche owner considering a 2015 GT - need opinions - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediDave View Post
Listen, the Mustang is a great car for the price (wow, those 2015's optioned out mid 40's, ouch), but even the PP versions have their limits.

My 2014 GT/CS is a cruiser, handles great for DD, but a track star it is not. I remember back to 1985 when I purchased my new 1985 Mustang GT, I thought I was on top of the world....until my ego got smashed and balls handed to me by a 1986 Fiero GT on the roads of the Hocking Hills in Fairfield County, Ohio. Even the SVO's couldn't out handle those Fiero GT's, especially the 1988 version with suspension co-designed with Lotus.

That Fiero opened my eyes to the fact that I truly was: "a legend in my own mind."

When it comes to handling, the Z28's, Porsche's, and Corvettes rule the road......unless you got a huge bank account to work with. If I had $100,000 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be down at Chevy getting one of those Corvette Stingray Z06's.

Jedi Dave
I have to agree. If you want to understand the "track performance" of the "previous Mustang GT's," then go visit a track on open track day or a scheduled track event and look at the cars participating. Mustangs will be outnumbered at least 8 to one. The big numbers will be BMW's, Porshe's, Corvettes, and a few others. Time will tell on the 2015, but the weight - even with the new suspension - will limit the performance. Even the BOSS 302 - while being a "great Mustang," was just "barely competitive" with the top 3. That's not to say the Mustangs aren't fun on the track. But, they will be passed, frequently, by the "top 3."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S5T...ature=youtu.be

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rookie

I've owned 2 996's one a C4 6 spd and a C4S Auto.
I had a new GT auto for 6 days on vacation. The new GT is just as powerful and better riding in every day use. The shift paddles and steering wheel controls on the GT are quirky in comparison. The seats in the GT are every bit as good. The view from the seat gives you the impression there is a slight rise in the front hood going forward. I suspect that on the track, the non-track pack GT would seem softer and less capable., but you'd have to test that. All in all its a good car and in every day street use would keep pace with any non turbo or non GT3 996 and 997's I would bet. The auto was pretty good. My sense is that the Porsche brakes would win the stopping test.

Rookie

How come you don't keep your cars for more than two years? Just curious.

MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you are a 911 man i advise you to wait for the GT 350. It will cost you more but it may also prevent you from dumping it in dissappointment a year after buying it.

Its relativitly man, i can barely stand to be in a standard GT these days after what i have gotten used to so.....

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentown View Post
If you are a 911 man i advise you to wait for the GT 350. It will cost you more but it may also prevent you from dumping it in dissappointment a year after buying it.

Its relativitly man, i can barely stand to be in a standard GT these days after what i have gotten used to so.....
I just drove an 05 911 last week and to be honest, a GT350 will be overkill. Although I suspect it was the actual car I drove, I found my '12 mustang to be MUCH quieter and smoother (well, at least until any bumps are driven over---then the 911 is much better). Powerwise, the 05 felt decent, but certainly not as wild as my mustang at the top of the rev range.

The GT350 isn't a completely different car than the GT--the chassis is a tweaked version of what's in the GT. Power isn't the issue, but feel is. The GT350 might feel nicer then a GT, but it's still not a 911.

If the OP drives a 15 GT with track pack and hates it, he's not likely to suddenly fall in love with the GT350. If OTOH, he likes the GT but wishes for a bit more of everything, then the GT350 might be a good option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page