Porsche owner considering a 2015 GT - need opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Porsche owner considering a 2015 GT - need opinions

Hey guys,

Current 911 owner (996 C4S) considering a 2015 GT - with premium trim, GT track pack, and the "401 A" equipment pack. Specific interior/exterior color choice too, so I imagine it will be a special order and a significant wait time. So before I went ahead and did it, looking for some informed opinions from folks familiar with Mustangs.

• I have never owned a Mustang. Or any American car for that matter. Long list of M3s, AMGs and 911s. Willing to try the 2015 since I feel like Ford has made the car more refined and less in-your-face looking.
  • Speaking of refinement - any reviews of the independent rear suspension and the "track pack" setup? Good? Bad? Mediocre?
  • 6 speed manual versus 6 speed auto - I have had many 6 speeds and loved some, hated some. Love the Porsche 6 speed in the 911, HATED the BMW 6 speed in the M3, liked the Acura 6 speed way back. On the box in the Mustang - how's the clutch take-up and drive line shunt? What killed it for me on the M3 was how jerky it felt between shifts, and the take-up was abrupt.
  • How's the 6 speed auto? I am comfortable in my manhood to drive a sports car with an auto box. As long as the auto box is refined and modern. Are the upshifts quick? Downshifts seamless? Any reason to absolutely stay away from autos? Particularly as it applies to resale down the line?
  • More practical questions - if I ordered a brand new Mustang for $43-44k, what am I looking at as far as resale values in 2 years? I never keep my cars for more than 2 years/20k miles, and have not had any experience with Mustangs so have no frame of reference as far as depreciation goes. Do Mustangs hold their value? Or do they take a dump similar to AMGs and the big $$ German cars?

I know that's a lot of questions, but appreciate your opinions. None of the dealers near me have a demo unit, so this might have to be done completely on a leap of faith.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Hey guys,

Current 911 owner (996 C4S) considering a 2015 GT - with premium trim, GT track pack, and the "401 A" equipment pack. Specific interior/exterior color choice too, so I imagine it will be a special order and a significant wait time. So before I went ahead and did it, looking for some informed opinions from folks familiar with Mustangs.

• I have never owned a Mustang. Or any American car for that matter. Long list of M3s, AMGs and 911s. Willing to try the 2015 since I feel like Ford has made the car more refined and less in-your-face looking.
  • Speaking of refinement - any reviews of the independent rear suspension and the "track pack" setup? Good? Bad? Mediocre?
  • 6 speed manual versus 6 speed auto - I have had many 6 speeds and loved some, hated some. Love the Porsche 6 speed in the 911, HATED the BMW 6 speed in the M3, liked the Acura 6 speed way back. On the box in the Mustang - how's the clutch take-up and drive line shunt? What killed it for me on the M3 was how jerky it felt between shifts, and the take-up was abrupt.
  • How's the 6 speed auto? I am comfortable in my manhood to drive a sports car with an auto box. As long as the auto box is refined and modern. Are the upshifts quick? Downshifts seamless? Any reason to absolutely stay away from autos? Particularly as it applies to resale down the line?
  • More practical questions - if I ordered a brand new Mustang for $43-44k, what am I looking at as far as resale values in 2 years? I never keep my cars for more than 2 years/20k miles, and have not had any experience with Mustangs so have no frame of reference as far as depreciation goes. Do Mustangs hold their value? Or do they take a dump similar to AMGs and the big $$ German cars?

I know that's a lot of questions, but appreciate your opinions. None of the dealers near me have a demo unit, so this might have to be done completely on a leap of faith.
I think you are going to be hard pressed to get a lot of owner experiences at this point in time since people are just starting to get their cars now. I bet that in 6 months time, you'll get more detailed answers from owners who've had their cars for a little while.

Your best bet at this point in time is to read the journalist reviews and see what you think. If you're interested in a new mustang, I think we'd all advise you to drive one. Most (but not all) reviews have reported that the new mustang is a lot more composed than the previous mustang with a solid rear axle. For whatever it's worth, I own a 2012 Mustang GT with koni yellows (adjustable) and sport springs. What that means to you, is that it's the second year of the coyote V8 that used in the '15 mustang GT (though the engine in the new car has been updated some and has ~25 more hp). It also have the rather crude solid rear axle, but the same 6-speed manual transmission.

I mention this because I just spent 5 days in a C63 AMG (since you mentioned owning an AMG) when I was in Napa last week. As I'm sure you're aware, the C63 has an IRS and a huge (compared with the 5.0) 6.2L engine with 455 or so hp. What struck me the most between the two cars is how hard the C63 rode. The ride was MUCH stiffer/harder than my mustang stock or with Konis. The C63 also had a much more high strung feel to it, especially when puttering around town. The mustang, IMO, is a much more relaxed driver (which doesn't mean it doesn't perform when asked to). Having said that, my car jumps around over bumps much more than the C63 and has less low-mid range grunt.

Based on what I've read, I would suspect that the new Mustang will still not ride as hard as the C63, but it will be far more composed and refined over bumps than the old mustang. The other thing to consider is size. I really liked the size of the C63. Some would call it cramped for a sedan, but I loved the small dimensions. In contrast, the mustang feels its size, whereas the C63 felt smaller the harder I drove it. That the '15 mustang isn't much smaller than the previous car, I wouldn't be surprised if the new car still felt its size. Some like this aspect and others don't. Go drive one and see for yourself.

As far as the transmission is concerned, from everything I've read, both the automatic and the manual are carried over from the previous car. From what I gather, the automatic is very traditional. Solid in function and durability, but certainly not nearly as quick shifting or responsive as a modern dual-clutch automatic like the PDK or even some more advanced torque converter automatics (like that in the C7 corvette). The manual, IMO, remains the best way to go for the mustang if you want a sporty experience.

Resale? Who knows what the new cars will bring. I would say that looking at what the '11-'14 cars are going for will give you a good idea. They are about average, IMO, with regard to resale. They aren't Hondas, but they aren't Saabs or Volvos either.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
Apprentice

I'm also new to the forum and never owned a Mustang before (I am from the UK, living in California).

This is beginning to sound like an AA meeting...

Anyway I just sold my 997 C4S. Having traded up from a Boxster (great handling but image doesn't fit with Hollister - OK in Palo Alto), the problem was the C4S paint was in perfect condition and i got paranoid following all the trucks round here in case i got a paint chip.

So I sold it and bought a used 2014 GT convertible - should have it this week. I drove a 2014 V6 and was pleasantly surprised by the interior quality - wasn't expecting it to be that nice.

Looking forward to modding the Mustang and having some fun driving again after the C4S - it was too expensive, didn't sound good (standard exhaust), and actually didn't feel much different than the Boxster.

Great Forum by the way - a lot friendlier than the Porsche forums...

Hollister CA

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
Apprentice

Coming back to the original questions:

I think you'll find a 2015 V8 a great experience and depreciation on early models should not be bad at all - especially of you pick a good spec and color. They are paddle shift but not double clutch auto so if you want a manual type experience better stick with manual.

I nearly pulled the trigger on a 2015 V6 but decided I couldn't not get a V8, so without wanting to spend much more than low $30K's, I decided on a used 2014 V8 that I can have fun modifying (wife insisted on a convertible).

Dont forget to join the MCA to get access to X-plan pricing - that will get you $2-3K off list on a 2015. Some dealers are also offering $2-3K off a 2015 if you place an order with them.

Hollister CA
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
PONY Member

Garage
My humble opinion is that a Porsche owner would never be happy in a Mustang 5.0....too many trade-offs. I suggest looking at the new Corvette. If someone can afford a Porsche, they certainly can choke up the extra $15,000 for a new Corvette vs the $43-45,000 for a loaded GT. Heck, if the Corvette isn't your style, then go for a pre-owned 13/14 Shelby GT500.....then you're holstered to kick some exotics into the weeds along main street!!

Jedi D.

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
GT Member

^^^word!!!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-27-2014
GT Member

I have owned a Porsche, a 84 Quattro, a slew of BMWs, a couple of Lotus, a couple of Mercedes, a Corvette, an Alfa, mostly Euro trash as the common Mustang owner would refer to them. Now the 2015 PP car I took possession of a week ago. I think you could be very happy with a new Mustang. You definitely want the PP package makes for an altogther tighter more Eropean feeling car. I look at it as a blank canvas to personalize.

Mustangs have terrific resale value by the way one the highest of all domestic cars rivals and many imports.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

2015 White SC, PP, etc....

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908ssp View Post
I have owned a Porsche, a 84 Quattro, a slew of BMWs, a couple of Lotus, a couple of Mercedes, a Corvette, an Alfa, mostly Euro trash as the common Mustang owner would refer to them. Now the 2015 PP car I took possession of a week ago. I think you could be very happy with a new Mustang. You definitely want the PP package makes for an altogther tighter more Eropean feeling car. I look at it as a blank canvas to personalize.

Mustangs have terrific resale value by the way one the highest of all domestic cars rivals and many imports.
Well said!

Hollister CA
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014
PONY Member

Well, I've never owned a Porsche, but I've ridden in them plenty.

I would say that the new Mustang would be a good car, but having realistic expectations is really important. Ford is doing some really good stuff, and the fact that a Porsche owner is considering the new Mustang, is a rather interesting turn in the Mustangs customer focus./appeal.

Anyways, I would think that a Porsche owner would be happy in a new Mustang, as long as the OEM struts/shocks are replaced a.s.a.p. Ford really doesn't do enough with their stock Mustang struts/shocks to control body motions, and I would imagine that is something that Porsche owners would notice right off the bat.

The performance package should be a great value (other than the shocks/struts), with great brakes, good wheel & tire package, and good value.

Please follow up on this thread, should you decide to get a Performance Pack 5.0, and let us know your opinions based on driving a Porsche.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

The actions of the new shocks and struts are greatly improved over what Ford has did in the past. Typically they don't last real long but they aren't bad to start with. Much more rebound damping and the spring rates are stiffer so the high speed damping doesn't make the car feel like it is bottoming out.

Alex
2010 GTRR in 5.0 Magazine [http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/m5lp-1212-2010-ford-mustang-gt-rr-total-fabrication/viewall.html]

PONY Member

Quote:
The actions of the new shocks and struts are greatly improved over what Ford has did in the past. Typically they don't last real long but they aren't bad to start with. Much more rebound damping and the spring rates are stiffer so the high speed damping doesn't make the car feel like it is bottoming out.
Where do you get your conclusions from? Everything I've read about the new PP 5.0s says that the shocks/struts still are not good enough. And what are you basing your conclusions in comparison to?

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Where do you get your conclusions from? Everything I've read about the new PP 5.0s says that the shocks/struts still are not good enough. And what are you basing your conclusions in comparison to?

Driving it and over forty years of cars on the street and race tracks.

Alex

PONY Member

Quote:
Driving it and over forty years of cars on the street and race tracks.
Anyone coming from a Porsche is going to want to switch to Konis, Bilsteins, whatever......the stock units don't have enough damping. Of course that's if they want their Mustang to handle close to as well as their Porsche. If they're buying a Mustang to get a softer, smoother ride, then I would imagine the stock units would be fine.

Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa5.0 View Post
Are you basing your info off the 1LE track comparison that Randy P. did?

Big difference from a world class driver vs. an average person driving the car in everyday situations with the occasional HPDE thrown in.
SHELBY GT 350 Member

from a simple man:

The Coyote engine will make you giggle like a little girl when you floor it.

I will suggest if you do get one to temper your expectations to represent the price. It ain't a rare car 2 years old will suck when you trade it it but you know that.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page