Power Bump likely in the 2016 GT?? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Power Bump likely in the 2016 GT??

Hey guys, after reviewing several reviews and seeing their lackluster performance numbers as compared to the editors bashing the Mustang compared to praising the Camaro 1LE SS. This seems to lead me to the conclusion once ford realizes this, I can't help not to think they have a power bump under wraps for the MY 2016. Does anyone remember the 2010 Mustang GT and then in 2011 Mustang GT we have over 100 extra horse power to keep up with the camaro! I was one of those 2010 buyers who wound up buying at 2011 GT. I think I am going to hold off on the 2015 GT and see what Ford might have up their sleeves in the coming year! Anyone else think this could be a possibility?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

i definitely think Ford will up their game in 2016...because they HAVE to. The Camaro will be lighter and will get the LT1 motor. I'm not brand loyal and the new 15 mustang isn't good enough for me to trade in my 12. I'm looking forward to seeing what GM does with the Camaro

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014
PONY Member

I doubt Ford will do that. Ford rarely does any significant changes during product runs.

05-10 saw.....what?.....a 15-20HP increase? 11-14 saw a (supposed) 20HP increase?

Not that it can't happen, just that based on Ford's recent product development, it's not likely.

Ford would be faaaaar better off adding tons of aluminum to the new Mustang's structure, and dropping hundreds of pounds off it.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014
GT Member

The 5.0 block already has direct injection capability it would be easy for them to do it in 2016...direct injection can add up to 30 real world hp...Ford does'nt care about the 1le and its 426 hp...the competition reacts to what Ford is doing not vice versa! Ford threw a power party with the 2010 gt 500 and no one from gm or dodge came! The gt-500 is the reason why the zl-1 was added to the camaro line up. Its also the reason why dodge upped the power in the challenger 2 times. They follow us because we are the leader in muscle car performance! Direct injection fellas, its in the ecoboost now, and coming to the 5.0!!!!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Well I agree with you guys the other 2 brand X's do tend to follow Ford. Although Ford did no changes to 05-09, The body refresh of 2010 saw the same 4.6 for one year in that body and then bam the 5.0 came out. I got suckerd into the new restyle of the 2010, and then wound up trading for a 5.0. I wouldn't be suprised if Ford did some weight reduction and some power bumping, I think it wouldn't take much a extra 30hp from the direct injection and a weight reduction goal of 200 pounds from the car. Reduce the cars weight to 3,600 pounds and bump power to 460 HP I think the mustang will be snuffing out the competition again, oh also stiffen the car up some!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014
Apprentice
5.0L Member

Think the next step will be direct injection with cylinder activation for the V8 and the new 2.7 V6 from the f150 will end up some how in the mustang

2011 Mustang Roush 5XR (SHAMAL)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubyu View Post
Hey guys, after reviewing several reviews and seeing their lackluster performance numbers as compared to the editors bashing the Mustang compared to praising the Camaro 1LE SS. This seems to lead me to the conclusion once ford realizes this, I can't help not to think they have a power bump under wraps for the MY 2016. Does anyone remember the 2010 Mustang GT and then in 2011 Mustang GT we have over 100 extra horse power to keep up with the camaro! I was one of those 2010 buyers who wound up buying at 2011 GT. I think I am going to hold off on the 2015 GT and see what Ford might have up their sleeves in the coming year! Anyone else think this could be a possibility?
Only time will tell, but I doubt there will be an increase in 2016. The 2012's - year after major car change in 2011 - did not see a change in HP. 2016 will be the introduction of the new GT350 - with probable new engine. That will be the "lead" for 2016. We should know in the summer.

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014
Apprentice

Ford possibly has a few tricks up their sleeve, but they blew it on the 2015 so far. I predict them adding direct injection next year to get to just over 450hp so they can edge out the 2016 Camaro. Then they will probably add the 10 speed auto to get a bump in fuel mileage and performance in 2017. If the Camaro does actually drop a few hundred pounds which is probable at this point (due to the ATS specs), Ford can still make the switch to aluminum body panels to drop the weight.

2011 Mustang GT Premium, Black on Black, 6MT, 3.55 Gears, Security Package
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInNY View Post
I predict them adding direct injection next year to get to just over 450hp so they can edge out the 2016 Camaro.
I highly doubt Ford will add DI next year. I agree that they will do it, but it will likely be saved for the mid-cycle update.

What Ford actually needs to do is improve the chassis of the current car. But really, I don't see them doing much for the 2016 MY. The 2011 and 2012 cars are the same, as are the 2013 and 2014 cars. I suspect that for 2017, we'll see some bigger changes to the GT. I think Ford purposely left some performance on the table with the GT, allowing the car some room to be tweaked over the product cycle. Right now the complaint isn't power, it's handling.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If Ford doesn't improve this car the new Camaro will eat it up. The Lt1 is a hell of a motor, and the 1LE beats the new Mustang around the track now. The new platform Camaro will be even better....

2015 Gt with perf pack/Guard Green/MBRP race exhaust/Steeda shifter bracket/ ....... more to come

Originally Posted by cudaman ........
Let's hope you don't have the same problem with your zipper and your fueling rod, should you run into another female in a Camaro that needs genetic gas.
Rookie

I am also holding off, I am interested if the Mach 1 edition is released again possibly 2016? and it has some sort of tiny power bump such as CAI/Exhaust, maybe a shaker for looks too? I really liked the previous Mach 1s of 03/04 and of course the early 1970s

I am also looking into the Scat Pack 392 Charger as well for a sedan, which seems to be the best bang of the buck for performance and options with a durable NA engine.
Apprentice

It would be nice if Ford upped the power of the GT a little bit. I think it's unlikely for 2016 model year but 2017 is probable if its competition ups the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page