2015 Mustang Gt: Auto Vs Manual - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

I drove a buddy's 2015 auto, and I didn't feel anywhere near as good as I did when driving a 2015 with the Performance Pack. The clutch is very light and easy to deal with, and the shifter is much better than what I've seen in any other factory Mustang. The Performance Pack is a total bargain, compared to what you'd otherwise spend to assemble a package of parts, piecemeal.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
I drove a buddy's 2015 auto, and I didn't feel anywhere near as good as I did when driving a 2015 with the Performance Pack. The clutch is very light and easy to deal with, and the shifter is much better than what I've seen in any other factory Mustang. The Performance Pack is a total bargain, compared to what you'd otherwise spend to assemble a package of parts, piecemeal.

JR
I have the 2015 GT with automatic and 3.55 gear ratio. So far, my encounters with the straight shifts and performace pkg has been watching them in the rear view mirror playing catch up with me................. lovin it!

Rookie

Garage
I was torn between the manual and auto also. After driving both I opted for the auto. Glad I did, bad knee and couldn't notice any performance gains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1444861574954.jpg
Views:	3654
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	471226  

Rookie

Garage
Same here, I have 310 gears and have outrun 2 manuals already by more than a car length
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1444861754552.jpg
Views:	2719
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	471234  
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I think you mean 3:15. An auto should beat manual in a straight line. This wasn't always the case but it is pretty standard now a days. On a road course or on a mountain road try to keep up with that performance package. It will be a different story.

OracleHCR
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium; Performance Package 1:
MagneRide; Active Exhaust
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleHCR View Post
I think you mean 3:15. An auto should beat manual in a straight line. This wasn't always the case but it is pretty standard now a days. On a road course or on a mountain road try to keep up with that performance package. It will be a different story.
Not necessarily true. In todays world the king of the mountain course would depend on driver skill and the nerve of the driver. The majority of races today are short in length . Automatics "RULE" today and they are the future for the Mustang as well as other sports cars. That's why you add for the auto at trade in time and deduct for the handshaker............... Not to mention the comfort!
PONY Member
5.0L Member

With the ability to heel-toe and drive in corners deeper with the Brembo's, a pp GT is the better vehicle for a road course or in the twisties. I'm not a fan boy of either(auto or standard), as I've owned both, but it is what it is.

OracleHCR
Apprentice

Be realistic here.............How many folks know what heel toe means much less how to do it. How many will ever actually do a mountain course or any closed course. The auto rules the day and the stick is the past for the remember when stories................ In the near future a manual transmission will be a special order option.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I am being realistic. Your auto with 3:55 is probably quick as hell in a straight line. You should be able to beat a PP GT 9 out of 10 times in a straight line. It probably handles pretty good through the turns. A Performance Package GT with a beefed up suspension, Brembos, and 3:73 gears is made for road courses and tracks and handles great through the turns. A competent driver will leave you and your auto behind. Being able to press a pedal to the floor and going fast doesn't equate to being a good road course driver.
If you notice, they don't sell the performance package in auto. There is a reason for that. They don't sell the GT350 in auto. There is a reason for that. Even the Focus RS only comes in manual. The auto is definitely the future but we are talking now. And right now, in a Ford Mustang, the manual is better for a road course or track. Period.

OracleHCR
Apprentice

Quote:
I am being realistic. Your auto with 3:55 is probably quick as hell in a straight line. You should be able to beat a PP GT 9 out of 10 times in a straight line. It probably handles pretty good through the turns. A Performance Package GT with a beefed up suspension, Brembos, and 3:73 gears is made for road courses and tracks and handles great through the turns. A competent driver will leave you and your auto behind. Being able to press a pedal to the floor and going fast doesn't equate to being a good road course driver.
If you notice, they don't sell the performance package in auto. There is a reason for that. They don't sell the GT350 in auto. There is a reason for that. Even the Focus RS only comes in manual. The auto is definitely the future but we are talking now. And right now, in a Ford Mustang, the manual is better for a road course or track. Period.
Facts are stubborn things!

The coolest sports cars only come with manual transmissions.
This depends on your definition of "cool sports car." The seventh-generation 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray and many flavors of the 2014 Porsche 911 offer a choice of a manual or automatic transmission. But if your choice is the 2014 Porsche 911 GT3, which Edmunds editors call "the baddest Porsche on the block," you can only get an automated manual transmission. The same goes for the 2014 Jaguar F-Type the 2013 Maserati GranTurismo,2013 Lamborghini Aventador and the 2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta. No manual gear shifting ballet for you. It's no loss, says Ken Hill, a professional racer, driving educator and vice president of operations for Automotive Adventures in Bellevue, Washington. "Some people are stuck on the mindset that a driver is faster with a manual box," Hill says. But there's a reason why some major performance-car manufacturers, including Ferrari and Jaguar, no longer offer traditional manual transmissions, he says. "They just aren't as good."
PONY Member
5.0L Member

So.... Let me get this straight. You are equating your Ford Mustang to a Porshe 911 GT3? That is pretty awesome since it costs almost $100k less. We are talking Ford Mustang. Not Porsche, Jaguar or Maserati. I've already said the auto is the future. Ive said I like the auto. As of now for a road course, in a Ford Mustang, the manual 6 speed is the way to go. How hard is that to understand?
If I were getting a car to race in a straight line, give me the auto all day long.
All of Ford's built for the track cars all come in Standard. Why do you suppose that is the way it is? It couldn't be that Ford's six speed auto isn't as good as Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati or Ferrari's gearbox? Could it?

OracleHCR
Rookie

Garage
Thanks for the correction, they are 3:15.
Apprentice

Quote:
So.... Let me get this straight. You are equating your Ford Mustang to a Porshe 911 GT3? That is pretty awesome since it costs almost $100k less. We are talking Ford Mustang. Not Porsche, Jaguar or Maserati. I've already said the auto is the future. Ive said I like the auto. As of now for a road course, in a Ford Mustang, the manual 6 speed is the way to go. How hard is that to understand?
If I were getting a car to race in a straight line, give me the auto all day long.
All of Ford's built for the track cars all come in Standard. Why do you suppose that is the way it is? It couldn't be that Ford's six speed auto isn't as good as Porsche, Jaguar, Maserati or Ferrari's gearbox? Could it?
2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang to Feature Automatic Transmission

Last week we all enjoyed the video showing the 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 Mustang in action on the famed Nurburgring and while we noted the super aggressive body and the precision handling, we skimmed right past one very important point it sounds very much like the next generation high performance Mustang will feature an automatic transmission.

.torquenews.com/106/2016-ford-shelby-gt350-mustang-feature-automatic-transmission
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Whatever dude. Make sure you don't edit the article to take out the "maybe's" and "might not's". That is a speculative article without any hard facts. If the GT 350 is to come out with an automatic transmission, it will most likely be special transmission made for Shelby just like the manual.
Also, your car isn't a GT350. We are talking about your auto with 3:55 gears compared to a PP GT on a road course. You keep bringing in these articles about other cars to justify your arguement that your car is as good on a track as a car made for the track. That car is made for the track. Bigger brakes with a beefier suspension. But because you have 3:55 gears you think your car will compete on a track. Believe what you want. As long as you are happy with your car, I'm happy for you. Enjoy life bud.

OracleHCR
Apprentice

Quote:
Whatever dude. Make sure you don't edit the article to take out the "maybe's" and "might not's". That is a speculative article without any hard facts. If the GT 350 is to come out with an automatic transmission, it will most likely be special transmission made for Shelby just like the manual.
Also, your car isn't a GT350. We are talking about your auto with 3:55 gears compared to a PP GT on a road course. You keep bringing in these articles about other cars to justify your arguement that your car is as good on a track as a car made for the track. That car is made for the track. Bigger brakes with a beefier suspension. But because you have 3:55 gears you think your car will compete on a track. Believe what you want. As long as you are happy with your car, I'm happy for you. Enjoy life bud.

How far we have to reach to justify paranoia. If I had any intention of editing an article I sure wouldn't post a link to it. Enjoy your handshaker as most likely it is the last of a dying breed.......... I look to the future not the past. See you at the next red light. LOL

Last edited by Driver 501; 10-15-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page