Interior/Exterior Combos - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Interior/Exterior Combos

Good evening AllFordMustangs!

Haven't posted in a while.

I'm just looking for some insight. Am I reading right that you can only get a saddle leather interior with the black exterior? And yellow or red exterior only with a black leather interior?

If so, why in heck would Ford do that? Are they built on a different assembly line? I'm talking about the difference between placing an order and not placing one, because for $40K I should be able to get what I want.

Right now, I'm still pretty happy with my 2010. I had to special order it to get Kona Blue and saddle interior, since there wasn't one on a lot for 500 miles. The dealer told me "it's because black interiors sell best," which I thought was laughable considering they obviously will sell best if it's all you have. I don't get as many compliments now as when it was new, but people notice the saddle and like it...it's worth the trouble.

While they are at it, they should bring back Kona Blue. I might still go with yellow or red for a change, but that was a nice color.

Anyway, I hope I'm missing something here.

Dodgeball

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
PONY Member

Garage
I can't answer the color combo question because I'm not sure about it but if it is that way it's not a good idea on fords part. As for the Kona Blue they did bring it back but only on the 50th anniversary model cars so it's a limited run with that color. Kona Blue is a great color I had it on my old 2011 and loved it to bad it's as bad as Black when it comes to taking care of it.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
Apprentice

I know that you can't order Saddle with Competition Orange. I think that would be a GREAT color combo. Its not the ONLY reason, but it is a contributing reason that I'm not ordering one.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Yeah, Ford -- indeed, pretty much every manufacturer -- has some goofy rules about interior/exterior color pairings. Granted, there are some combinations that would raise eyebrows, and maybe Ford prohibits those because they think it would reflect badly on Ford, but as has been mentioned there are combos that would be harmonious if only they were allowed. But for some reason, they aren't.

I don't understand the reasoning; and it makes even less sense in a car like the Mustang in which the only thing they actually change are the seats and door inserts (and it looks like they don't even change the latter on the 2015s).

EDIT to add: I was just playing with the Build & Price tool, and if you try to pair a Saddle interior to a prohibited exterior color, it does try to force the exterior color to Black. However, if you go back and change the exterior color first, there are other combos that are allowed ... you can get a Saddle interior with Deep Impact Blue, Guard, Magnetic, Oxford White, and a couple others. The Build & Price tool is a little confusing in this regard.

Allez Rouge
2012 GT Premium Coupe | Performance White | 401A Charcoal+Grabber Blue | Comfort Pkg | MT82 | Boss 302 Shift Knob | 18" Pony Pkg Wheels w/Brembo Pkg Center Caps | Boss/CS Front Valance | Scott Drake 5.0/Tri-bar Fender Emblems | FRPP Strut Tower Brace | Redline Hood Struts | GT500 Rear Splash Guards | Rear Spoiler Delete | Sound Tube Delete
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
PONY Member

Interior / Exterior combos:

Ebony (cloth or leather) is available with ALL colors ...
Comp Orange, Yellow, Guard, D-I-Blue, Magnetic, Race Red, Ruby Red, Black, Silver, or White

Ceramic (cloth or leather EB / GT) is available with all colors EXCEPT:
Yellow

Dark Saddle (leather only) is available with colors all EXCEPT:
C-O, Yellow, Race Red, & Ruby Red

Redline (leather only) is available with all colors EXCEPT:
C-O, Yellow, Guard, & Race Red

So basically the Saddle & Redline are available with 60% of exterior color choices.

Doug

My Stangs ...
1969 Calypso Coral 351W 4V 4-Spd 3.50 T-Lok Deluxe GT Hardtop (owned since '81)
2016 Guard 2.3L Ecoboost 6-Spd MT Base Fastback, 641, 66W, 13D, 47AX O-T-T Stripes (ord 2/11 ~ del 5/23 ~ mine 5/26)
past rides:
2011 Kona Blue 3.7L V6 6-Spd MT Prem Coupe, 203A MCA & HID's (0-129k mi)
2004 Comp Orange, 1998 Chrome Yellow & 1994 Bright Blue V6 5-Spd Coupes (0-126k, 131k & 89k mi)
1979 Fairmont Futura w/ '85 HO 5.0L, built AOD, 3.27 T-Lok + more (a Stang w/real back seat & trunk)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs-R-me View Post
Interior / Exterior combos:

Ebony (cloth or leather) is available with ALL colors ...
Comp Orange, Yellow, Guard, D-I-Blue, Magnetic, Race Red, Ruby Red, Black, Silver, or White

Ceramic (cloth or leather EB / GT) is available with all colors EXCEPT:
Yellow

Dark Saddle (leather only) is available with colors all EXCEPT:
C-O, Yellow, Race Red, & Ruby Red

Redline (leather only) is available with all colors EXCEPT:
C-O, Yellow, Guard, & Race Red

So basically the Saddle & Redline are available with 60% of exterior color choices.

Doug
Thanks! That's a great breakdown. I still wish CO was available with Saddle. Makes no sense why it isn't.

2011 V6 Convertible, Premium, Red Candy, White side stripes, Pony badges on fenders, auto headlights, lower fogs coming soon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone with some inside insight know who makes these calls and how? I mean, there's a Chief Operating Officer somewhere and he's apparently said "OK, so we have the car, the paint, and the upholstery, all on the same factory floor, and we can make this without losing a step, but I'd rather have no sale." How does that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page