Mustang GT in final 3 for performance car of the year R&T - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

Mustang GT in final 3 for performance car of the year R&T

These guys are singing the praises of the new pony. Pretty awesome to see this kind of positive talk coming from R&T mag.

Also what I found interesting that is not in the online version but is in the printed version (unless I missed it) is the leader board of times around their airport track.

The Mustang beat out a Camaro 1LE. Very slightly but it did. Different days etc can be factored in but still..... It also smoked the time of a 2012 Boss by 1.58 seconds on a track that only takes 52 seconds for the fastest car to get around (A Ferrari 458 Special). I was also surprised how close the Mustang came to a Z28 (just over 2 seconds). In addition, just .95 seconds behind a ZL1.

Also this is my 100th thread. What a good one to do that!

Here is the article.

2015 Road & Track Performance Car of the Year - Decision: Impossible - Road & Track

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Pretty impressive. Bodes very well for the GT350

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
Pretty impressive. Bodes very well for the GT350
Yes! Very good news.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014
F91
GT Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I watched a video of Probst driving the 1LE vs the 2015 GT at Willow Springs and the chevy kind of handed it to the GT. I was under the impression that the Gt had the track pack, but maybe not.

2011 GT | MT82 | 3.73 | Brembos | Barton | Airaid | CDC chin | Corsa X pipe & Xtremes | DSS Aluminum Shaft | BMR Rear loop & LCA relocating brackets | J&M Extreme LCA | Koni Yellows | Steeda Sports | UMI Panhard | SCT & BAMA
"Yo, nutsack! Let me tell you something, man, muscle beats import every time. You know what I'm saying? Every time!" - Dwight
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F91 View Post
I watched a video of Probst driving the 1LE vs the 2015 GT at Willow Springs and the chevy kind of handed it to the GT. I was under the impression that the Gt had the track pack, but maybe not.
You are absolutely correct, but I don't think that was the objective of this article. It was not a race around a track, but rather about all around best sports car.

2013 Boss 302
2012 Mustang GT Grabber Blue (sold)
401A, MT82, Brembo, 3.55, HID & Security, Electronics Pkg
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014 Thread Starter
GT Member

It also won 1st place in Car and Driver against the skat pack Challenger and 1LE Camaro. It was not a race but simply what is the best overall car between the three. Makes me want one even more

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014
SHELBY GT 350 Member
Classic Member
4.6L Member

Wait until next year, the automotive press will be back to slagging the Mustang, as usual. I read the above mentioned C&D article (vs Camaro and Scat Pack Challenger) and it reminded me how Motor Trend gave such great reviews of the S197 in 2005, and by 2006 was back to using the word "antiquated" in reference to handling and interior.

I am however, amazed to see positive press from Road and Track. That publication tends to have a general disdain for American cars that aren't top of the line Corvettes.

The press just likes whatever's new, while it's new. And next year, that will be the Camaro.

2001 GT Convertible
/1967 Coupe
All the usual bolt-on's /200 I6, C4

And a few Explorers too... 2008 4.0 XLT 4x2, 1996 XLT 5.0 4x2, 2003 Sport Trac XLT 4.0 4x4
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2014
Rookie

I wonder why the auto mags never talked about the shifting of the MT-82 tranny... Are shifting issues fixed on the new car?

11' and 12' Spec Race Atom Series Champion

#351 Team Murricuh' Miata Chump Car

12' LS #491, H&R Race Springs, FRPP BBS Wheels, Short Stubby Side Pipes w/QTP, JLT Catch Can, GT500 Mufflers, 302S Grille, MGW Race Spec, Roush UCA, Fays2, Strano Rear Swaybar, Watson Roll Bar, Bob's LCA's, UMI LCA relo brackets, Koni Yellow's
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014
PONY Member

The Porsche won.

Not really a surprise. I don't understand comparing cars of such vastly different price.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
Apprentice

Thanks for posting this, OP. I hadn't seen this one yet. I like the link to their first impressions as much or better: First Drives: 2015 Ford Mustang

Quotes of note:

"The harder you push, the smaller the car feels. The suspension soaks up road noise without bouncing you from lane to lane..."

"I drove the GT in a group that also included the Porsche 911 GT3, the Lexus RC F, and the Italian-superhero Ferrari 458 Speciale. It confidently, casually held its own in that heady company."

"This is the best mustang ever, the best ponycar ever, a mutant with DNA from the Fox 5.0 and the BMW e46 in seemingly equal measure."

One negative comment: "The Mustang GT is soft and wallows... in this group, I feel like I'm driving mom's Taurus."

There were more comments about the 'meh' nature of the interior than I expected. I think the interior is perhaps its single biggest improvement among many. They spoke very highly of the brakes... something I didn't push during my test drive. Sounds like the 6-piston Brembos are a big hit.

Among the top 3 in this group of cars is awesome news.

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choate View Post
It also won 1st place in Car and Driver against the skat pack Challenger and 1LE Camaro. It was not a race but simply what is the best overall car between the three. Makes me want one even more
Motortrend Rated the Camaro SS 1LE as the best of those three.
Comparison: Camaro SS 1LE vs. Challenger R/T Scat Pack vs. Mustang GT Page 3

Also, if you equalized all of the "subjective ratings," in the Car & Driver evaluation, and kept the "objective ratings" the points were Mustang 216 - Camaro 214 - and Challenger 213 out of a total of 240. That is pretty much "too close to call." Bottom line, what do you like in terms of exterior looks, interior looks etc ---BUY IT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	403441  

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
MACH I Member
5.0L Member

[email protected] and Motortrend have ALWAYS favored European cars over American cars.

Yes, they give credence to US cars and this is a good placing, but get real...

The price out the door and the cost of ownership, not to mention the cost of mods, leave just about and American performance car in the lead.

Remember that these car rags are known for publishing articles and tests in the hope of getting more subscriptions...=$$

I love the pricey European fodder! Don't get me wrong!

Mustangs, Cameros and Challengers are within most American's price range and upkeep is not all that bad.

I know a bunch of mechanics at a exotic car dealership....they laugh at the reliability of European performance cars! Expensive to keep on the road to the extreme!

'95 Ranger 5.0 GT40X Tri-y GT40 Intake S-Trim Snow Stage 2 Lowered Baer Racing Brakes Viper Spec Tremec w/Hurst shifter Custom Interior Dakota Digital Dash Corbeau Toplines OZ Racing AM/FM/Mp3/CD/DVD/TV.

2014 GTIG 5.0 Vert Base. Sil Carb Fiber dash. Bama Race Tune. Gibson axle backs. STEEDA Springs KONI STR.T Adj. Panhard. Dynamatted. Audiocontrol LC8i Amps and Sub! Leather OEM seats. Custom Badging.
GT Member

While several cars got nice "favorable mentions," it is very impressive that the new Mustang got ranked with the Ferrari 288 and the Porsche 911. I would say it definitely is getting a "lot of fun for the dollar" rating

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone
Rookie

Nice! I don't know how I missed this. Thanks for posting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page