TPMS questions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

TPMS questions

Hi all, This is my first post. I ordered a Silver GT Premium for the wife a few weeks back(It's being built today12-16, as you read this), and I have a few TPMS questions: I am setting up a set of winter only tires and was wondering which of the mirad of sensors on ebay will work for this car? Will any of the 315mhz sensors work? Secondly, do I need to buy one those learning tools, or are the '15s self learning? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014
PONY Member

Have the shop put your sensors in the winter rims, no extra money, no relearn. They shouldnt charge for a switch over, my shop never did if the tires were bought from us. If you need a new sensor or simply want another set, find your part number, and google it or search the number on ebay. You can get a part number from ford.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-25-2014
PONY Member

I have switched from winter to summer tires a number or times and at each change of position (rotation) of tires, if the "new" wheels are not "Trained" you will receive a "Tire Presure Sensor Failure" notice on your dash board. I have occasionally had the tire guys tell me "NO NEED" but the warning always comes on if the "trainer" was not used to tell the wheel it is in a new location.
I guess I do not know why the other poster has not had this problem, unless he is replacing his wheels to their former locations.

I would figure the tire sales location would know which sensor to put on, though I purchased my winter wheels sensors over the internet and handed them to my tire changer who did not charge extra to train them. I have also never had to pay extra to have them "trained" on seasonal changes.

I might say my BLIZZAKS are GREAT in snow and in the cold, but are like BUTTER above 50 degrees F, in the rain which is not unheard of on Long Island in winter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014
PONY Member

Im just in this cause i have years of work experience with tires and rims, only reason for a relearn on the sensors is if there was a new one installed. Newer vehicles relearn the sensor position with approx 10 miles of driving. Chrysler has the easiest an most cooperative sensors though. But working at a dealer id do rotates and new tires on new fords,(was a Chrysler dealer, but had a ford for the same dealer group not too far away) and never once had to re learn sensors unless it was a brand new sensor. Never did a mustang though. A lot of 2014 and 15 vehicles though. Im not trying to argue just talking from what ive ran into.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I have first hand experience with this on my 2015 Mustang.

With the cold weather, below 40F, I decided to mount up my Ford Racing GT500 wheels with All Season tires on my 2015 (previously on my 2014 GT). On these wheels are Ford TPMS sensors for a 2010-2014 Ford, and not only have I not received any warnings for Tire Pressures after 100-miles of driving, but they actually report individual Tire Pressures per tire back to the 2015 TPMS system without any training of any kind, just as the factory 2015 wheel/tires did.

2015 Mustang GT PP 401A Black | Roush Supercharger
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Update: We picked up the car last Friday(Jan 02) and I had the dealer install the Goodyear eagle ultra-grips on the car before delivery. He also ordered my a set of sensors for my "summer wheels and tires" , but he was told by Ford that they wouldn't be available for 6 to 10 weeks due to "production demands". In other words, the supplier can't keep up. So, when they become available, I'll install them myself, and just have the summer set re balanced.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfiero View Post
Update: We picked up the car last Friday(Jan 02) and I had the dealer install the Goodyear eagle ultra-grips on the car before delivery. He also ordered my a set of sensors for my "summer wheels and tires" , but he was told by Ford that they wouldn't be available for 6 to 10 weeks due to "production demands". In other words, the supplier can't keep up. So, when they become available, I'll install them myself, and just have the summer set re balanced.
Don't wait until summer, you can use sensors for a 2010-2014, they work as well. I know the 2015 design is different, as in smaller and more compact, but the previous version are compatible without re-training needed. I know because they are on my wheels/tires that were on my 2014 GT before I traded it in for the 2015.

FYI - the TPMS sensors potentially saved my life one day. It alerted suddenly after hitting a small object on a rough piece of highway. I thought I had just rolled over it, as with the the low profile tires everything felt fine, but about 2-seconds later the Tire Pressure Warning came on. Fortunately the TPMS technology did its job and alerted me quickly, giving me enough time to safely move to the right, slow down, and exit the highway. When I stopped I discovered a completely flat and blown sidewall with a 3-inch gash.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
From what I understand, the earlier sensors will turn off the light but won't provide (or perhaps not provide accurately) the tire pressure in real time.

kn7671 - I'd be a little cautious about assigning too much credit to your TPMS for your episode with a tire that got cut down. I have a tire sidewall (all that I kept) from a similar episode on a car built over 20 years before TPMS was available. If your wheels are wide enough for the tire sizes you're running (read, slightly stretched tire fitments), a car can remain surprisingly controllable all the way down to zero psi. The site I have a picture on seems to be down, otherwise I'd post a picture.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
From what I understand, the earlier sensors will turn off the light but won't provide (or perhaps not provide accurately) the tire pressure in real time.
I have sensors for a 2010-2014 Mustang on my 2015 Mustang. Not only does the light not come on, but the Tire Pressure is reported and is accurate. I was curious about the reporting as well and was manually checking pressure before and after driving to see if the match was the dash readout was.

Something many people don't know is that you actually have to drive your car to get the sensors to report information. When I start my car, the pressure readout is from when I previously stopped driving the car, an before getting out of my neighborhood, the new and cold pressures are reported.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Something many people don't know is that you actually have to drive your car to get the sensors to report information. When I start my car, the pressure readout is from when I previously stopped driving the car, an before getting out of my neighborhood, the new and cold pressures are reported.
This much I am sort of aware of even with sensors that only report a low warning. Took about half a mile for my wife's 2010 Subie LGT to recognize that I'd added a little air as its warning lamp had just illuminated.

I'd be careful about driving through cold water deep enough to fully immerse the wheel at the bottom (say, 6" deep") as this might result in odd sensor behavior that takes longer to self-correct. Been there.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page