Performance package or ragtop - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Performance package or ragtop

I drove a 2015 GT a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I've decided if I buy one it'll be a GT premium w/performance package. My better half thinks we need a convertible. Unfortunately you can't get a convertible with the performance package. What do you guys think ? Personnally I'd rather have the PP. I live in NE ohio and the days with the top down would probably be few. Thoughts on convertibles?

2012 Race Red GT/CS convertible. Ford Racing short throw shifter, GT 500 axle backs, 3.73 rear end, Ford Racing tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014
BOSS Member

Garage
Performance package for me but ultimately that's a decision for you to make. I don't think something like that is something others should make for you.

When the convertibles come out drive one of each them make a decision.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie S. View Post
I drove a 2015 GT a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I've decided if I buy one it'll be a GT premium w/performance package. My better half thinks we need a convertible. Unfortunately you can't get a convertible with the performance package. What do you guys think ? Personnally I'd rather have the PP. I live in NE ohio and the days with the top down would probably be few. Thoughts on convertibles?
I had an 11 Mustang vert and then a 13 Gt vert. There were a lot more "vert days" then there were "track days." You can always spend a little for new KONI adjustable shocks and struts and stiffer front a rear sway bars to tighten up the vert suspension. Besides, wife happy means "driver happy." Here is a video of my 13 GT vert on the Autobahn Country Club track. I was up to 115 to 120 mph before braking to 40 mph to make the turns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S5T...ature=youtu.be

2013 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
2011 Mustang V6 Premium Convertible - Gone

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014
Rookie

Why not have both?

I have an '07 V6 convertible and I love it. I plan on getting a '16 GT Fastback later, and keeping my convertible for topless days...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014
MACH I Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

As much as I love sliding around corners ...I like being comfortable even more. The current ride is hard...and that's ok. But I'm 41. Turns out that I'm a cruiser....no amount of hp is too much in my book, but I want a car that's also a comfortable highway cruiser. That means you end up with a straight line car and not much more...

Another way of looking at it is...a standard GT has the ride you want (and gives you a couple extra thousand left over for a supercharger? ?)....no extra charge necessary. If you go to track days etc....just completely ignore everything I just said and go PP

2011 Shelby GT 500: C&L CAI, Roush GT 500 Performance axlebacks, Steeda 2.65 Supercharger pulley with idler/belt tensioner, Ford SVT Custom Racing Tune, SVT package, Glass roof, Tech package
Gone: 2011 GT/CS Black
Gone: 2010 Sterling Gray GT, Track Pack
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
It's a matter of personal choice .I love convertibles, so my choice would be the 'vert.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

I know nobody can make up my mind for me. Just seems like that performance package is a pretty good deal and a shame to give up for a convertible. If I wanted the wind in my face I'd keep my motorcycle. Kind of strange, my wife doesn't like the bike 'cuz she says it's too cold. Go figure...

2012 Race Red GT/CS convertible. Ford Racing short throw shifter, GT 500 axle backs, 3.73 rear end, Ford Racing tune.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014
Apprentice
Classic Member
5.0L Member

I like a hardtop performance car.

1995 Mustang Cobra R
2019 Mustang GT350 K1868
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguy View Post
I had an 11 Mustang vert and then a 13 Gt vert. There were a lot more "vert days" then there were "track days." You can always spend a little for new KONI adjustable shocks and struts and stiffer front a rear sway bars to tighten up the vert suspension. Besides, wife happy means "driver happy."
^^ This!

...but I'm a bit biased.

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Problem Solved

Drove a '14 GT yesterday. 7200 mi. certified pre-owned. Unless something weird happens it'll be Merry Christmas to me

GT Member

Quote:
Drove a '14 GT yesterday. 7200 mi. certified pre-owned. Unless something weird happens it'll be Merry Christmas to me
Performance Pack or convertible?

Candy Apple Red, Auto, FRPP Tune, GT500 Axlebacks, KONI Yellow Sport (adjustable dampers), FRPP Front and Rear swaybars, Custom Removable 4 Point Roll-Bar, BOSS 302 Low Expansion Brake Lines, Roush side splitters, GT500 spoiler, Redline Tuning hood struts,18" Ford Chromed Aluminum Wheels (9R3Z-1K007-A), Michelin Pilot Super Sports - 235X50X18
PONY Member

Garage
Charlie S:

I've been married 25 years and one thing I understand is to keep the wife happy. If your wife is a kind enough soul to agree to help you secure a new 2015 Mustang, and all that she requests is for you to consider her desire for a convertible, the GET THE CONVERTIBLE!! Your wife will then take notice that you considered her feelings, when the time comes for "modding" she'll more than likely say go for it!

Use the Force!

Jedi Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2828.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1,012.1 KB
ID:	402513  

2014 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. Options include: California Special package, comfort package, navigation, glass roof, shaker pro system, 3.73 ratio limited slip axle, GT front grill/fogs, MGW race spec shifter, BBK X-Pipe, Corsa GT500 Quad Sport axle-back, Ford Racing ProCal tune. "If I wanted insane HP, I would have purchased a 2014 Shelby GT500!"
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy He who hesitates is lost

Was supposed to look at two GT's over the weekend. One sold before I even got there, the other, sold before I had a chance to talk to my credit union. Bummer. Both had low miles and were priced around 25K. Oh well.

Rookie

Quote:
Was supposed to look at two GT's over the weekend. One sold before I even got there, the other, sold before I had a chance to talk to my credit union. Bummer. Both had low miles and were priced around 25K. Oh well.
I'd rather have a base 2015 GT than a 2014. The new model is really nice. You can always order a new one to your spec, and join mustang club of america to get Xplan pricing if you don't already have it to get an additional $2000 off (on top of the current ford discounts) on the GT.
GT Member

Quote:
Looks like the 2015 isn't crowding the late model Mustangs out of the market. I doubt many people see the "big improvement" from IRS. The 2013/14 solid axle was pretty comfortable if you didn't "stiffen up" the suspension. Other stuff, including "the looks," are not "deal makers."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page