Do You Have to Change Your Oil Every 3,000 Miles? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
"Occasionally", the number of miles over-run, and even Ford's own recommendations are all arbitrary and subject to [hopefully good] judgment.

Say I was on a very consistent 5000 mile OCI based on service falling somewhere between 'severe' and 'extreme', never mind what kind of oil. For the situation where the oil had been in there for 4800 miles already and with a 1200, 1500, or even 2000 mile highway trip coming up, I wouldn't think twice about holding off until I got back home, as those miles would mainly be gentle miles as far as the oil degradation is concerned. On the other hand, if I was only 2000 miles in with a two-day road course track day event coming up this coming weekend, I'd probably be changing the oil and filter now instead of typing about it.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
'19 WRX, 6M (the "family sedan")
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (the spare and occasional winter driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

It is not oil degrading that is the issue, it is all the contaminates that get in the oil over time that eat away at engine seals and parts. What I am talking about is people who follow manufacture recommendations of 7-10 thousand miles between oil changes even for conventional oil. That is just way too long.

2010 V6 Convertible, Grabber Blue, Premium Package
PONY Member

Depends on oil type some break down after 1500 miles others can be good for 10k. As a tech, i recommend every 3k because Everyday drivers are used and abused hard at hot temps. The 3000 thing is not a myth or waste of money, its called proper upkeep. It's like saying you have to replace struts at 60k. May not need it but it wouldnt be a bad thing to do. End answer 3-5k intervals.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-the-Pony View Post
It is not oil degrading that is the issue, it is all the contaminates that get in the oil over time that eat away at engine seals and parts..
I would consider additional contaminate concentrations to fall within the definition of "oil degradation". After all, we go the the store to buy X number of quarts of oil, not X - Y quarts of oil with Y quarts of additive, right?

Do you agree that running up a couple thousand "too many" highway miles within the span of one week or less would not be the same as taking 6 months to run them up, all in trips of 3 miles or less around town?

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, a few suspension mods . . . still almost stock height
PONY Member

Very good point, but also if you dont hit the milage mark you want its recommended to be changed every 3-5 months. Just due to age. Personally a good syn or syn blend can sit all year and be ok. Im not sure about conventional. I worked at a Chrysler dealership. I was seeing rear main leaks and valve cover leaks under 50k miles! All because of those dumb automatic oil life systems that are set 7-10k out. In my opinion, its better to be safe than sorry.
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak88lx View Post
Very good point, but also if you dont hit the milage mark you want its recommended to be changed every 3-5 months. Just due to age. Personally a good syn or syn blend can sit all year and be ok. Im not sure about conventional. I worked at a Chrysler dealership. I was seeing rear main leaks and valve cover leaks under 50k miles! All because of those dumb automatic oil life systems that are set 7-10k out. In my opinion, its better to be safe than sorry.
Exactly, oil is cheap, engine repair/replacement is not. Anyone that doesn't care about their engine then by all means go ahead and drive as long as you like without changing the oil...lol

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I would consider additional contaminate concentrations to fall within the definition of "oil degradation". After all, we go the the store to buy X number of quarts of oil, not X - Y quarts of oil with Y quarts of additive, right?

Do you agree that running up a couple thousand "too many" highway miles within the span of one week or less would not be the same as taking 6 months to run them up, all in trips of 3 miles or less around town?

Norm
When you said "oil degradation" I was thinking viscosity, my bad. Going two thousand miles of any kind of driving past when an oil change is due is risk I am not willing to make myself.

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I agree, running 2000 miles over on dino oil of questionable spec - or running it all up in the mountains - would probably be pushing things, but no worse than going 200 miles too many in purely around town short trip driving.

I am assuming that 2000 miles of highway driving would not include much in the way of high revs or high load, where there would be more rapid degradation of viscosity. Aside from accelerating away from toll booths, rest stops, and on-ramps there just isn't any need to ever be much past 3000 rpm or be running at sustained revs above about 2500 rpm. That's barely 1000 rpm above fast idle.

I'm also assuming 3.55 or taller gearing (3.31, 3.15); if you're running 3.73 or numerically larger gears, changing your oil at somewhat more frequent intervals should already be part of your maintenance plan just because you'd be at higher rpms all of the time.

Norm

PONY Member

https://youtu.be/U_AnRyIxDhs
Not the best video, but has good info on oil. Take a look, shows oil flow at different temps. Syn vs conv. Etc
PONY Member

To me the filter is often overlooked. Buy youreslf a quality filter. I switched to wix a few years back and am very happy with the relults. On my work car my driving is for the most part the same type as I dont beat on it. I change my oil around every 7000 miles. But I also watch my gas milage.
If it starts to drop and tire pressure is ok I dump the oil even if it's at 2000 miles. Little things can tell you what is going on with oil and your engine.
My old honda would get a little noisy when the oil went south and milage would drop. It kills me that my new subaru does not have full gauges.

1987 5.0 LX ( sold in 92)
2011 GT/CS Convertible .Electronics package,
Security package,HID headlights,comfort package
PONY Member

Filter does a lot for oil too. I personally use motorcraft filters on all my fords. Some of the best out there imo.
PONY Member

as ford tech you don't know anything about oil
PONY Member

No need to be insulting...just because there are different opinions. This is a debate not a shoot down contest. Just because you change oil doenst make you a tech or mechanic. So if you wanna be negative go somwhere else. Any other valid opinions?
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife-stanger View Post
To me the filter is often overlooked. Buy youreslf a quality filter. I switched to wix a few years back and am very happy with the relults. On my work car my driving is for the most part the same type as I dont beat on it. I change my oil around every 7000 miles. But I also watch my gas milage.
If it starts to drop and tire pressure is ok I dump the oil even if it's at 2000 miles. Little things can tell you what is going on with oil and your engine.
My old honda would get a little noisy when the oil went south and milage would drop. It kills me that my new subaru does not have full gauges.
I just use the Ford Racing Filters for the 5.0. It's more expensive but higher flow / collects more pollutants. It's a bit larger than the standard Motorcraft filter.

I go with a 5k or every 6 month change. I have a short commute and put about 6-8k a year on my vehicles so I'm happy to call that "Severe". The Ford Service department wants me to do it every 3 months. I think not. I believe the owner's manual also stipulates changing the oil at least two times a year regardless of mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page