5w20 oil in the 2015 Mustang GT V8 - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3
 
5w20 oil in the 2015 Mustang GT V8

I'm a new member of the forum and seriously considering getting the 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 V8 with the Performance Package. Very impressed with this car. Have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you with this set up may be able to answer:

1. I've never had a performance car that used 5w20 oil. I know some of the current Jaguars run this weight oil so I suppose there is a precedent, but I've always thought of this weight oil as a fuel economy oil best used in cars like a Prius or Toyota. Are there any concerns or problems that some of you may have encountered (so far) using the factory spec'd Motorcraft 5w20? Anyone done a used oil analysis on this oil in their Mustang using the factory oil change interval? If so, how does the viscosity stand up?

2. Does Ford allow the use of 5w30 synthetic oil as long as it meets their oil spec, WSS-M2C 945-A?

3. I'm guessing the factory fill is the 5w20 synthetic blend. What is the factory oil change interval for this oil? What is the factory recommended oil change interval if you use the Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20?

4. What is the normal operating oil temperature (for those of you that have an oil temp gauge)?

5. I'm guessing that Ford uses an oil life monitor or oil condition sensor of some sort in the sump. Am I correct?

Appreciate any feedback. I've asked these questions of dealer personnel and of course they are clueless.

m6pwr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014
PONY Member
 
Jeepis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Orange County
Posts: 536
 
I had the same worries but you'll be fine. For what it's worth, my 2014 Track Pack 5.0 specs 5w50


Me: 2014 GT Track Pack
Wife: 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jeepis is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014
PONY Member
 
NoVa5.0's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Location: Arlington
Posts: 704
 
You've asked a bunch of questions, but what I don't understand is, what is your core concern? What makes you ask all of these questions?

Is there some specific concern you have?

Ford knows what they're doing. They spec 5W20, so that's what you should use. If you want better protection, buy higher quality oil.

2012 GT Premium, Brembo PP, MT82, 3.73s, Blk/Blk. Bama 93R, Koni Yellow Rear Shocks, Hawk Ceramic pads, Luxurious & Plush Floor Mats
NoVa5.0 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014
BOSS Member
 
Blazin72's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Union
Posts: 3,543
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
1. I've never had a performance car that used 5w20 oil. I know some of the current Jaguars run this weight oil so I suppose there is a precedent, but I've always thought of this weight oil as a fuel economy oil best used in cars like a Prius or Toyota. Are there any concerns or problems that some of you may have encountered (so far) using the factory spec'd Motorcraft 5w20? Anyone done a used oil analysis on this oil in their Mustang using the factory oil change interval? If so, how does the viscosity stand up?
5w20 has been recommended for quite some time now. I've done UOAs on both 5w-20 and (mostly) 5w-30 from Amsoil with intervals anywhere from 4,500 miles to 9,000 miles haven't had any abnormal results related to engine or oil wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
2. Does Ford allow the use of 5w30 synthetic oil as long as it meets their oil spec, WSS-M2C 945-A?
Even though it's not specifically listed in the owners manual don't hesitate to use 5w-30. That's the oil I normally use, unless I accidentally buy 5w-20. Either way you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
3. I'm guessing the factory fill is the 5w20 synthetic blend. What is the factory oil change interval for this oil? What is the factory recommended oil change interval if you use the Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20?
Either is acceptable. There doesn't appear to be any difference in the recommended intervals between the two. See link to owners manual below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
4. What is the normal operating oil temperature (for those of you that have an oil temp gauge)?
This would be interesting to know, as it's one of the ultimate deciding factors as to which viscosity is ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
5. I'm guessing that Ford uses an oil life monitor or oil condition sensor of some sort in the sump. Am I correct?
It does use an oil life monitor based on a computer algorithm. There is no oil condition sensor, despite what some people may think.

Most of your questions will be answered here:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo...US_07_2014.pdf

Very good oil thread. Better than any you will find here:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...302-UOA-thread
Blazin72 is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3
 
Blazin72: Thanks so much for your reply. Lots of good info, particularly the link to uoa's. Looks like the 5w20 works fine. I like it that some folks had the stones to run the factory fill to 10k and still lived to tell the tale. Thanks again.
m6pwr is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015
Rookie
 
NBrock's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2014
Location: My House
Posts: 50
 
I personally swapped the Amsoil 5-20 Signature Series in mine once I hit ~800 miles. I have had good results with previous vehicles in the past using it. I had my 2003 Lancer Evolution VIII for 7 years. When I traded it in for my 14 GT it had over 160k on it and had really good compression on all four cylinders (155 on all four...pretty dang good for that age and miles and how hard I drove it).
NBrock is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015
Apprentice
 
CriticalmassGT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville
Posts: 51
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
I'm a new member of the forum and seriously considering getting the 2015 Mustang GT 5.0 V8 with the Performance Package. Very impressed with this car. Have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you with this set up may be able to answer:

1. I've never had a performance car that used 5w20 oil. I know some of the current Jaguars run this weight oil so I suppose there is a precedent, but I've always thought of this weight oil as a fuel economy oil best used in cars like a Prius or Toyota. Are there any concerns or problems that some of you may have encountered (so far) using the factory spec'd Motorcraft 5w20? Anyone done a used oil analysis on this oil in their Mustang using the factory oil change interval? If so, how does the viscosity stand up?

2. Does Ford allow the use of 5w30 synthetic oil as long as it meets their oil spec, WSS-M2C 945-A?

3. I'm guessing the factory fill is the 5w20 synthetic blend. What is the factory oil change interval for this oil? What is the factory recommended oil change interval if you use the Motorcraft full synthetic 5w20?

4. What is the normal operating oil temperature (for those of you that have an oil temp gauge)?

5. I'm guessing that Ford uses an oil life monitor or oil condition sensor of some sort in the sump. Am I correct?

Appreciate any feedback. I've asked these questions of dealer personnel and of course they are clueless.
Although many people do run 5-30 or 10-30. Stick to what Ford wants you to run.

And read this:

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy
CriticalmassGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1