Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 Mustang convertible tonneau caps

62K views 109 replies 25 participants last post by  Driver 501 
#1 ·
Hello, I purchased a new 2015 convertible 6 weeks ago and seem to be having a problem with Ford about the individual tonneau caps. At time of delivery, the dealer said they were an option, although on page 186 of the owners manual it clearly states, they come with the car. I said OK, let's go to parts and order them. Parts manager checks his computer and there is no part number for this item. In other words, I can not purchase them. They called Ford and the rep said they were on hold and would be shipped to customers by the 15th of February that didn't get them with the car at point of sale. Yesterday I talked to the zone rep and he said they have no idea when they will be shipped. Does anyone have the new covers at point of purchase with their convertible? If not does anyone have any information about them?

#55 ·
Oh no! I can't imagine buying a new Mustang convertible and not being able to drive it because the top cover didn't come with it. I mean, that's a serious safety issue and something bad could happen! Ford should seriously be worried about getting sued over this because that's a safety hazard. A child could throw something into the opening and mess up the top if the caps aren't installed as per the instructions in the Ford owners manual.

#57 ·
There is one post here that says they got theirs when they took delivery of their convertible on April 24th. A "NEW" zone rep for Ford called me today on my cell phone and said he's been in touch with Ford and still can't give anyone a firm delivery date. Why? Because he can't get one from Ford. He did say it was a factory problem and is still holding up production. So will there be different ones from different manufacturers? Will they all look the same when they ship? It'll be interesting to how this unfolds.

#59 ·
Great News Terrapin

That's great news Terrapin! I sure hope that bodes well for the rest of us. My special order was built on 4/17, due into my dealer any day now and I sure hope it has them too!

#62 ·
OK guys, I got my car yesterday and guess what was in my trunk! Thank God, they were there! I will say they look great on and are much easier to install than the boot on my 2012 or on my 2000. And that top looks fantastic down even without them. My only worry is that one day I will go to put the top up with them snapped in and destroy them. Hope we can order replacements in parts some day!

#63 ·
Love those caps

Hopefully, you all will get them soon. They are so easy to put on and really complete the look. I will get a picture of them tonight. For now, here's my new baby.

Attachments

#68 ·
Received My Ford Tonneau Caps Postcard

I got my postcard in the mail today also:

Dear 2015 Mustang Convertible owner,

Your Mustang was one of the early-production units delivered without tonneau caps, which improves the car's appearance when the convertible top is down.

The tonneau caps have been shipped to you free of charge via UPS and will arrive in 1-2 weeks. Installation instructions are included with the shipment and they can also be found on page 186 of your owner's manual.

We regret this inconvenience, but please be assured that your car is perfectly safe to drive with the top down without these caps in place.

Please call our hotline at 800-367-3788 if you have any questions or concern.

#70 ·
I got the postcard today also. I have no doubt they will arrive soon and then be put in the closet. I have no intention of using them unless I put the car in a show or used in a parade as mustang convertibles often do. Other than that it seems really inconvenient to constantly install and remove the caps. I'm sure it gives it a nice finished look though.

#71 ·
Well, the postcard said the caps would arrive by UPS in 1-2 weeks. That was Saturday. Today is Monday. This morning I had a parcel locker key in my post office box. The caps were here, two days later! They were sent via USPS since Ford only has my PO Box address.

Be sure to put them in your trunk. They are in a bag, small, light weight and only take about 5 seconds or less to install or remove.

Picture coming as soon as I can figure how to upload it.

Ken

#72 ·
I too, took delivery of a new 2015 Mustang GT Conv without tonneau covers. I called Ford Marketing, they didn't know, I called my dealer parts department, they did not know, so just maybe Ford will get their act together and remedy this situation. Just think how long it has been since 2015 Conv. was shipped.. Maybe Elon Musk needs to intervene, then things will start to happen.

#79 ·
Driver 501, did you get yours?

Did you get your caps Driver 501? I sure hope so by now!
Here's a picture finally of the caps on. I really like them. But, only use them when I am going to leave the top down all day...which is just about every weekend here in So Cal coolbeans.gif

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.