Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 Mustang convertible tonneau caps

62K views 109 replies 25 participants last post by  Driver 501 
#1 ·
Hello, I purchased a new 2015 convertible 6 weeks ago and seem to be having a problem with Ford about the individual tonneau caps. At time of delivery, the dealer said they were an option, although on page 186 of the owners manual it clearly states, they come with the car. I said OK, let's go to parts and order them. Parts manager checks his computer and there is no part number for this item. In other words, I can not purchase them. They called Ford and the rep said they were on hold and would be shipped to customers by the 15th of February that didn't get them with the car at point of sale. Yesterday I talked to the zone rep and he said they have no idea when they will be shipped. Does anyone have the new covers at point of purchase with their convertible? If not does anyone have any information about them?

#80 ·
Here's a view of the rest of the car!

Attachments

#82 ·
OK, so it was bound to happen!

OK, so it was bound to happen. I was coming back from work the other night and decided to put the top up at the grocery store and forgot I had the caps on. But, guess what: The car knew! The top would not budge, the car sounded a chime and a message came on in the message center between the gauges that said :"Caps on , Top temporarily disabled". That is the coolest thing I have found out on the car for weeks! Other than how fast it gets to red-line running with a Camaro that is
:wink:

#83 ·
I think it mentions this safety feature in the manual. I have yet to use my caps though. Usually it's hot and sunny when I leave work and by the time I get near home it's cold & foggy (that's SF Bay Area for ya). Don't want to pull over on the freeway to mess with the caps. I just end up putting the top up when I pull off and stop at my freeway exit.

#84 ·
Yeah, I have only put them on a few times. Usually when I am gonna run with the top down all day, like a nice So Cal Saturday up & down the coast in South Laguna. My wife loves shopping down there & I love taking her. The drive is great and the scenery is nice, especially during the summer/bikini season!

#86 ·
Anyone in Canada received his caps yet?
Another question. In general the back seats are quite tight and no one sat in mine since I bought my convertible last April.
I discovered over the weekend a tear in the top fabric on the inside. The tear is on the passenger side just behind the small window.
I took the car to Ford dealership and they said it is not a manufacturing defect and that it is caused by the car user.

Simply put they blamed me indirectly!

Since all the members posting here are convertible owners, can you please check the interior of your stangs and confirm if anyone have the same problem?

I will post a picture later.

#95 ·
Hello all you convertible drivers out there. After a cold wet winter, it's just about time to air it out once the pollen clears up here in the south. I look forward to some top down cruising Hope everyone has their tonneau caps by now............ If not let us know!

#98 ·
The tale of these caps:

So I bought a 2015 pre owned and found that the caps were missing. I called Ford and they told me the caps were never shipped to the original owner with that VIN BUT since I wasn't that owner only the dealer could get them for me.
I go to the dealer, explain off of this to the parts manager, he tells me he will get back to me. Well a week goes by and no response. So I go back into the dealer (no mind you I bought this car, cash, no real haggle) and the parts manager tells me "sorry buddy, this is on you, you e got to call and get the part or you can buy them for $150 from us"
I again explained that since it was a dealers car, only the dealer can get the parts as the "original owner".
He then tells me there's no way he can help but I can buy the parts. So I say "well as a good customer and to keep a good customer happy, you could give me the parts and eat the cost."
To that he responds, "I don't know if you are a good customer or not, I don't know who the hell you are."
Now this is a small ford dealer in Pittsfiled MA, the parts manager Bucky was there when I bought the car and the owners son introduced me all around as a "new car buyer"
So that sort of ticked me off a bit so I went full "angry customer" up the food chain. I emailed and called Mark, I contacted the support number, I contacted my order repsfor my GTs both 2005 and 2017.
I made sure to mention Bucky's name to everyone in the sales and parts chain.
So fast forward three days later, I now have three sets of these things and I think one or two more are coming.
Upside I received a nice note from Mark as well as the form letters saying your car was a early production bla bla bla.
Was it sort of a jerk move to leverage existing relationships with Ford to get my stuff? Yeah prolly but the dealer's parts manager could have been decent about it and just gave me the covers.

#102 ·
I purchased a new 2015, Mustang, convertible in April 2016. Two days after I purchased I had to leave town for 6 months, so I put car in storage. Just got back in town, and had one hour appointment with tech guy at dealership so he could go over things I needed to know.

When he put the top down he noticed I didn't have tonneau caps for the car. He said they come with al convertibles.

I will be going back to the dealership tomorrow (11-25-2016) to straighten this out.

It clearly says in the 2015 Owner's manual, page 184, "Your convertible top includes two tonneau caps, one for each side of the vehicle. These caps stow in a bag inside the trunk."

Pretty clear to me. The problem with a customer like me, I can be a real ******* if required.

#108 ·
I had completely given up on these. I custom ordered a 2015 convertible before they were even available. I travel for work, and use National Car Rental, which is the best if you travel a lot. Pick any car and go, with frequent free upgrades. This week I got a 2018 Mustang Convertible, and what did I find in the trunk? You guessed it. Two caps laying right there. I put them on every time, and I love them. It's been almost 3 years since I took delivery of my car. I got the 50 Year package, and plan to keep this car forever. Now that I know these things actually exist, I'm going to see if I can get what should have come with the car in the first place. On another note, I like some of the refinements on the 2018. It's a nice car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.