Ford Mustang Forum banner

2015 Mustang convertible tonneau caps

62K views 109 replies 25 participants last post by  Driver 501 
#1 ·
Hello, I purchased a new 2015 convertible 6 weeks ago and seem to be having a problem with Ford about the individual tonneau caps. At time of delivery, the dealer said they were an option, although on page 186 of the owners manual it clearly states, they come with the car. I said OK, let's go to parts and order them. Parts manager checks his computer and there is no part number for this item. In other words, I can not purchase them. They called Ford and the rep said they were on hold and would be shipped to customers by the 15th of February that didn't get them with the car at point of sale. Yesterday I talked to the zone rep and he said they have no idea when they will be shipped. Does anyone have the new covers at point of purchase with their convertible? If not does anyone have any information about them?

#5 ·
I pick up my Mustang last Monday and there were no covers. The dealer said that they were going to look into it and order them for me. I just happen to call them today just to check up on them and was told that they check at another dealer who had 4 cars there and none had covers with them. But said just wait and as soon as they find out where to get them they will get a set for me.

#6 ·
Sorry to disappoint you but they can't order what there is no part number for. Bluntly, they have your money and seem to care less about the covers. I've been dealing with this going on 7 weeks now and you are only beginning the run around. This is poor coming from Ford that they would allow the sales staff to blatantly lie about this to customers. There are no covers and don't seem to be any in production. They are releasing the convertibles without them.

#7 ·
My dealer told me that if they weren't with the car, they don't come with them. Then they told me that they had the tonneau covers in stock for $646. They didn't even know it now comes with "caps" and not covers and wanted me to send a picture of them. Since I called "BS", I contacted Ford corporate office and was told that they aren't available as yet and that they would be shipped to all new owners when available, which they did not know when that would be.

#9 ·
You are just beginning the Ford lie game they seem to playing with the customers. My lie total now is 9 and growing. Good luck but I can tell you after 7 weeks the BS just gets deeper. After all they have your money now so why care about delivery of the rest of the car you bought and paid for.

#8 ·
That sucks!

That sucks! I just ordered my Vert. and I sure did like the idea of having those little covers to clean-up the top-down look. I heard the salesman say something about being backordered. Wonder what's up with Ford showing these on all the pre-production cars and not having them with cars they ship.

#10 ·
That sucks! I just ordered my Vert. and I sure did like the idea of having those little covers to clean-up the top-down look. I heard the salesman say something about being backordered. Wonder what's up with Ford showing these on all the pre-production cars and not having them with cars they ship.
Tell the folks where you ordered it that you want a complete convertible before delivery or else you don't want it. See what they promise you.

#13 ·
This will not deter me from enjoying it with the top down as the probability of me using these caps is slim. Most of the time when I decide to lower the top will be while I'm on the road and at a stop light or sign. I'm not going to pull over and open the truck and install the caps then have to do the same in reverse if I need to put the top up, especially when I'm in a quick need to put the top up. Besides this is an accessory to the top and not a physical part of the car where some have been mistaken.

#14 ·
This will not deter me from enjoying it with the top down as the probability of me using these caps is slim. Most of the time when I decide to lower the top will be while I'm on the road and at a stop light or sign. I'm not going to pull over and open the truck and install the caps then have to do the same in reverse if I need to put the top up, especially when I'm in a quick need to put the top up. Besides this is an accessory to the top and not a physical part of the car where some have been mistaken.
I beg to differ with you. This is an integral part of the convertible. That's why it is suppose to ship with and be used in conjuction with the convertible with the top down. Read the owners manual and check out page 186. As remote as it sounds, let something fall into the opening with the top down and you damage the top mechanism. Kids do put the darndest things in the darndest places. Explain to Ford how it happened and get back with me on that warranty coverage. The liability here is tremendous and Ford is ignoring it! BTW how long have you worked at Ford?

#15 ·
While I agree that putting on the caps is not something we would do every time the top goes down, certainly this top goes down fast enough to do at a stop light, I would put them on for a Sat. drive up the coast. The 2015 top looks much better down than any other Mustang Vert has, and those caps finish it off perfectly. They should be much easier to put on than my 2012 boot cover too.

Bottom line, I will be pissed if my car doesn't ship with them and I will be a huge PITA to Ford until I get them, rest assured! After all, I want the whole car I paid for.

#25 ·
I'll be in my trunk the minute I get to my new car at the dealer's looking for them. If not there, you can bet I will be sending a PM to Deysha and gang when I get home. She has always come through with info as soon as she can get it.

#30 ·
just got delivery of my eco boost premium convertible in Toronto, Canada. And the cover caps were missing. Dealership had no clue they even existed.
Just emailed them this video and asked them to check minute 3:10 to know what I am talking about.
http://youtu.be/FSZ-zkkWRqs

Seems that I will also have to wait for this part by mail!!!!
Good luck on getting them. There isn't a set of these in America today. But you'll hear story after story as to why they aren't available.

#31 ·
My Ford dealership reply

This is the reply I got from my Ford dealership. Reply is fair and decent:
'Hi Moe,
I took a look at your video and it does show the end tunnel caps which did not come with you vehicle.
I’ve asked around about the caps and it looks like not one convertible that came to Canada came with those end caps. I believe the caps could be back order or not yet made when the plant started building the 2015 Mustang convertible.
I’ve ask my parts manager to look into the part, he did mention that if the caps are delayed they will either send you the part directly to your resident or to the dealership.
I will periodically follow up on your caps to give you an update.
Sorry, hope you don’t blame us for the missing parts. I will keep following up on the caps till I get that for you.
In the mean time you enjoy your Mustang!
Thank you,'

#32 ·
This is the reply I got from my Ford dealership. Reply is fair and decent:
'Hi Moe,
I took a look at your video and it does show the end tunnel caps which did not come with you vehicle.
I’ve asked around about the caps and it looks like not one convertible that came to Canada came with those end caps. I believe the caps could be back order or not yet made when the plant started building the 2015 Mustang convertible.
I’ve ask my parts manager to look into the part, he did mention that if the caps are delayed they will either send you the part directly to your resident or to the dealership.
I will periodically follow up on your caps to give you an update.
Sorry, hope you don’t blame us for the missing parts. I will keep following up on the caps till I get that for you.
In the mean time you enjoy your Mustang!
Thank you,'
This is what I was told 2 months ago. But this morning I received a phone call saying they promised delivery of caps by April 15th or they would publish confidential phone numbers at Ford so customers can call directly and complain. Long story short they are being pummeled by complaints from customers. Not 1 customer anywhere in the world has these with the purchase of their car. I'll post after the 15th or before if I get mine so others will know they are on the way.

#33 ·
I Was Told April 15th Also

I purchased my convertible on 3/15. Saw that there were no caps in the trunk. I asked the salesman, his sales manager and nobody knew anything about it. They finally said it was a part that I could order and pay for through the parts dept. After looking through the manual, I contacted Ford and a customer service rep. contacted my dealership. Now I'm promised the caps being sent to my home around the 15th. We'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.

#34 ·
I purchased my convertible on 3/15. Saw that there were no caps in the trunk. I asked the salesman, his sales manager and nobody knew anything about it. They finally said it was a part that I could order and pay for through the parts dept. After looking through the manual, I contacted Ford and a customer service rep. contacted my dealership. Now I'm promised the caps being sent to my home around the 15th. We'll see. I'll keep y'all posted.
I hope what you were told is true. I have been lied to so many times by Ford I am skeptical.

#35 ·
My Vert is scheduled to be delivered 1st week of May. I hope to find them in my trunk for sure!

#36 · (Edited)
I asked about the caps back in March and determined that Ford had never ordered them. There was no part number in the Master Parts Catalog. After the run around I was told that they would ship them to me by the end of April. Only time will tell. Better yet, read the owners manual about raising the hood high enough until the pistons support it. FYI, there are no pistons. I suggested they have someone who has actually seen the car proof read the owners manual. You know, the one that describes the caps on page 186.

#38 ·
I asked about the caps back in March and determined that Ford had never ordered them. There was no part number in the Master Parts Catalog. After the run around I was told that they would ship them to me by the end of April. Only time will tell. Better yet, read the owners manual about raising the hood high enough until the pistons support it. FYI, there are no pistons. I suggested they have someone who has actually seen the car proof read the owners manual. You know, the one that describes the caps on page 168.
That's page 186 in the owners manual. You and every other convertible owner has had the run around about these caps. Ford has tarnished their reputation with the numerous lies about these covers. Imagine a billion dollar company saying they are waiting on a small plastic injection molded part for all these new 2015 cars. For months they wait and wait and wait............ BS! there's more to it than that..........

#40 ·
I just purchased my 2015 Mustang convertable in March. My salesman also told me it was an option, but after arguing with him for 15 minutes he went and checked with somebody and found out the production line of the covers was faulty and none were shipped with the cars. Ford would be shipping them directly to the owners once the corrected covers were manufactured. Still not believing my salesman fully, I wrote Ford and asked the question. The answer was they are shipping them directly to the owners, but no ETA was given in the reply.

#42 ·
Have a little faith, being such a Debbie Downer sucks.
Dear Debbie I have been lied to repeatedly by Sales representatives and Zone reps at Ford . I have been promised delivery dates on these covers repeatedly with no covers as of today. Tomorrow is another delivery date I was promised by Ford reps. Will they come? I'll post here and let you know Debbie. Excuse the pessimism but the only bad thing about a liar is they will lie to you. Best wishes Driver 501

#47 ·
Hello! I wish you better luck getting yours than I have had with mine. No, I don't have mine yet. Nobody in the USA has them that I know of. I've been told so many lies by sales people and Ford reps, that I simply don't trust Ford on this. If I had it to do over, I would make them put anything about these covers in writing. Don't trust them! The other thing that worries me now, is if they will lie over and over about these, what if you have a problem with the car?

#48 ·
Tonneau Covers Delayed Delivery Until May 2015

My car was delivered over three months ago without the tonneau covers. Dealer doesn't have a clue nor a parts number. They have washed their hands of the whole matter. Calls to Ford Customer Service usually leads to a "made" up date that slips with each month. I even wrote to the CEO, other execs and got a letter from a customer service rep, Davonya Lyons, from Ford Customer Service in Dearborn Mich, who says that Ford has "confirmed that the estimated date to ship these covers is sometime mid-May. We unfortunately do not have the exact date, but they are expected in May."

What is interesting is that I am starting to see a few 2015's around town with the covers. One was a rental car. I asked the driver. Could it be that Ford has had a new OEM parts manufacturer make a limited amount and is doling them out to selected dealers. Two months ago, the parts manager told me in a fit of frustration that Ford had just 30 covers made and they shipped them to selected dealers. Could that be true?

#49 ·
Good morning. I have heard of rental units with the supplied covers also but have not seen any sent to owners. I have had my convertible for almost 3 months. It's truly disappointing to see how this issue has been handled by Ford and their representatives. Again I say, what if you had a problem with the car and needed assistance from Ford? Would they be truthful with you about fixing it? I'm tired of making them lie to me on this so I simply quit talking to them about it at the dealership where I purchased my car. Post here if you ever see them.

#50 ·
tonneau cap

Hi , I just receive my mustang 2015 convertible today and the tonneau caps were inside , and the dealer told me that even if he sold many mustangs , it was the first one that was having the tonneau caps incude at the arrival and now , all others customers should receive it by ford soon , they even not have it in the showroom on their mustang. and it is include with the car , do not pay for it .

#51 ·
Hi , I just receive my mustang 2015 convertible today and the tonneau caps were inside , and the dealer told me that even if he sold many mustangs , it was the first one that was having the tonneau caps incude at the arrival and now , all others customers should receive it by ford soon , they even not have it in the showroom on their mustang. and it is include with the car , do not pay for it .
That's great to hear. Ford dealer here got a new convertible in and it didn't have them. Go figure which ones will get them and when.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.