New user - 2015 Mustang Convertible - vibration 60-75 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy New user - 2015 Mustang Convertible - vibration 60-75

Hello all

Apologies if I'm writing this out of band or whatever, but I'm stressed out.

I did do a search for what I was looking for but didn't find anything.

I bought my first Mustang 3 weeks ago after years of driving Toyotas. Now, my convertible has a vibration between 60 and 75. It starts out as a pulsating vibration and gets worse as speed increases.
The dealer has replaced the driveshaft and rear differential (after 5 days in the shop) but the vibration still exists. They told me it didn't and it does seem to be oddly intermittent. Some days worse than others.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I do see where someone posted on edmunds.com with the exact same issue (2 people actually).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
Apprentice

Try tires. Mine does the same thing when I let it set for a while then smooths out as the tires heat up. If it sets too long they get flat spots..............

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Good thinking on the tires, but I would do 2 things before I spent money on tires. Have ford check to make sure wheels are balanced correctly and while your at it have them do an alignment. (Side note: They should cover both under warranty.)

Current Mustang
2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015
PONY Member
V6 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Had an issue like this on my old 08 Mustang after having new tires installed. The dealer found that the wheels were balance correctly but that the tires themselves had a "heavy side" that only showed up in like a road force test or something like that (I forget exactly) that they normally don't do for tire installs or tests unless it's requested, so they dismounted and re-mounted the tires according to the test results and the balance of the wheels and the vibration went away.

2015 Oxford White GT Manual Transmission
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Manual Transmission - Sold.
2012 Grabber Blue V6 - T-boned and totaled.
2008 Performance White V6 - SOLD!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015
Rookie

I'm having the same issue, so thought I'd post what I've been through. I've been working with a Regional Director, but have yet to get results. So far, they have:
- Road force balanced all 4 tires
- changed the Driveshaft
- Checked the front struts
- Blamed the steering mode -- apparently, if you are in Sport mode the car is designed to vibrate (per the Ford engineers)
- Changed 2 tires (a month after the road force balance)
- Found a misinstalled bearing in the differential case that shredded the inside of the case (1-inch long metal shavings and oil that looked like it had 100k miles). New case is on order but there are none available since the case is not being produced. Apparently, Ford is no longer producing Mustangs?? I seriously doubt that, but Ford will not provide a replacement part to the dealer.

The car is currently at the dealer torn apart, and the best they can offer is "we'll keep working with Ford and hope they can provide a part sometime. In the meantime, please enjoy your free rental F150 that is at least the same color as your Mustang."

I guess the next step is BBB, although it appears they will be of no help. Below are a couple emails to which I've gotten no reply from the Regional Director.

11/19:
Thank you, <Name>. I'm looking forward to driving a Mustang vice the many other vehicles I've been driving. And I will try to be optimistic that the problems I've had are not just the tip of the iceberg. On a positive note, every time I get to drive it it feels like I'm getting into a new vehicle I've never driven. I apologize for the lack of confidence and slight bitterness, but I can't remember ever having this number of problems in a new vehicle, let alone a used vehicle. Frankly, a top that cuts holes in itself and still occasionally pops (literally) when going up, a bad driveshaft (well documented in forums), two bad tires, a differential that wasn't far from a catastrophic failure -- all within 6 months -- do not lend themselves to create confidence in Ford's ability to deliver quality.

I know you can't do this with 100%, but I hope someone can provide me with something that improves my confidence that another failure isn't right around the corner. Again, I apologize for my tone, but I am seriously worried about "what's next", and am frustrated at the lack of quality in this particular vehicle. I feel like I paid Ford a Li if money to alpha or beta test a vehicle thru its development stages.

11/20:
I just spoke with my SM, and he passed on the bad news that Ford does not have any differential housings available and no plans to produce any. I'm very surprised since that indicates that Mustangs are no longer being produced. After all, these differentials are used on Mustangs on the production line. If there are no differentials, there must be no more Mustangs. Would it behoove me to find one on eBay, or is there another alternative available, please? As a retired Air Force aircraft maintainer. I understand that sometimes components of next higher assemblies are sometimes not available. When we ran into that situation, especially when it was important to our customers (US citizens) for a mission to fly, we ordered the next higher assembly. If the differential is not available, is the rear suspension assembly available? If not, is a different Mustang? It seems that there are options that simply have not yet been explored. Please let me know if these might be available, or if there is some other option I should explore. Thank you, and have a great weekend.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016
Rookie

Any Suggestions?

Hey fellas -

New user - but not new to Mustangs, Fords or auto forums. I came across this thread via online Google searching and wanted to add some beneficial info to it regarding driveshaft, drivetrain or driveline vibes or vibrations on the 2015 and 2016 Mustang.

I just wanted to pass along a huge thread that discusses the 2015/16 driveline vibration.

I have a 2016 EB Premium with Perf Pack and I've been having one hell of a time getting the driveline vibe corrected by my Ford Service Center.

I've documented my entire process so far - and others have posted up pics and vids as well from their same issues.

It's ridiculous that Ford does not have a TSB on this, because it's been persistent in not only the 2015 models, but exists in the 2016 models and MY17 will be in production very soon.

I emplore anyone with a driveline vibration to read through the thread to see what actions are being taken by Owners and Ford Service Centers.

Vibration between 50 & 70 mph - Page 54 - 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, Mach 1, Ecoboost) - Mustang6G.com

Some facts for those in this thread:

1) Consumer Reports documented the issue in their October 2015 article and specifically stated the "drive shaft" as being one of the issues with the new redesign (2015) Mustangs.

2) A documentary called "A Faster Horse", about the whole design of the new S550 Mustang has a part in the video where it was also stated about a driveline vibration.

3) There are folks who have lemon law'd their Mustangs, who are currently dealing with Ford Arbitrators, who have Ford Case Workers working as a go between the owner and Dealer and others who have had their vehicles bought back due to the issue.

4) There are numerous instances of folks having various driveline parts replaced due to the issue - however there's no Ford TSB and for unknown reasons the numerous complaints are not being logged in any Ford Systems, nothing is in OASIS and Ford acts as "they know nothing about it". The Ford Service Centers need to contact the 'Ford Hotline' because they too are in the dark and can't get proper direction from Ford.

Thank you,
Phil
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016
PONY Member

Sorry about your issues. But, as you can tell you're in the right place! Welcome.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016
Apprentice

sounds like the issue that pointed me in the direction I took in getting my 2011. New models released with are often " bugs" to be worked out. I always try and buy a model nearer the end of it's production run because of this. I may not be the guy on the block to be the first with the "latest and the greatest" but I can get a little payback through peace of mind

Let me be frank: Iím not a very good driver. Now, I donít mean that I careen from lamppost to lamppost like a drunken pinball, nor that I have to spend my afternoons picking teeth out of the bumper and pressure-washing old-ladies and kittens out of the undercarriage; no, Iím merely pointing out that Iím not a race car driver in real life, only on the podium of my own imagination.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016
Rookie

sounds like the dumbest decision I ever made, just bought a 2016 V6 and guess what.. vibrations between 65-80mph. the vehicle has 800 miles on it now, and the dealer service department acts as if they don't know anything any such problem. after driving a Camry for 7 years, this mustang is such a disappointment. For all the guys calling this as normal, drive any other vehicle for a week and then drive a mustang, you will see the difference.

Now that I got my frustration out of me, How can I make daily drive to office a little better ? I will never do a drag race or cross 75mph on this vehicle. I just need my 45 mins drive at 70mph vibration free. Please advise

Thanks

I bought my 2016 Mustang V-6 about 8 weeks ago and have the same vibration problems. Dealer replaced drift shaft twice and the car still has vibration at 40 mph and up. You can see the wobble in the pinion flange when its on the lift and in gear spinning. Now I'm being told that it is a characteristic of the car. How ridiculous!
Rookie

Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTDM View Post
sounds like the dumbest decision I ever made, just bought a 2016 V6 and guess what.. vibrations between 65-80mph. the vehicle has 800 miles on it now, and the dealer service department acts as if they don't know anything any such problem. after driving a Camry for 7 years, this mustang is such a disappointment. For all the guys calling this as normal, drive any other vehicle for a week and then drive a mustang, you will see the difference.

Now that I got my frustration out of me, How can I make daily drive to office a little better ? I will never do a drag race or cross 75mph on this vehicle. I just need my 45 mins drive at 70mph vibration free. Please advise

Thanks
Going through the same thing with my 2016 Ecoboost... The dealer is trying to make me believe this is a normal thing for this car... I will not except that and the car is still at the dealer... will update if something comes up...
Rookie

Vibration between 55 and 65 MPH

New user here - I picked up my '16 GT Premium on April 28th and noticed a slight vibration. You can hear it as well.
It's a constant drone at those speeds. Tried several things to diagnose it:

I get up to 60 MPH, windows up, air off, tunes off, 6th gear, feel and hear the vibration.
Down shift to 5th, maintaining 60 MPH and get the same results. I go through 4th and 3rd while doing 60 and nothing changes.
Still at 60 MPH, I push the clutch in, put it in neutral and coast. Vibration is still there.
It's definitely a balance problem or misalignment in the driveshaft. I read a post from a Ford tech who had the same issue in his own Mustang.
He said he noticed paint markings on the pinion flange and the driveshaft and they weren't lined up. He dropped the driveshaft and aligned the paint markings.
It solved his problem. I told the tech currently working on my car about it and he noticed I have 2 paint marks on my pinion flange and 1 on the driveshaft and none are lined up.
He's currently consulting with Ford engineers and they told him to drop the whole rear end and test it to failure. Looks like I'm getting a new rear end soon. I'll keep ya posted.
Apprentice

2015 Mustang convertible bought new over a year ago. 1100 miles no vibration, other than sitting so long creates flat spots on tires. After you drive a few miles they smooth out. Automatic transmission V/8 engine...............................
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 501 View Post
2015 Mustang convertible bought new over a year ago. 1100 miles no vibration, other than sitting so long creates flat spots on tires. After you drive a few miles they smooth out. Automatic transmission V/8 engine...............................
Same setup as me. I have a little over 8,000 miles on mine. Flat spots on tires that require a few miles to work out.

Is this an issue with all 2015-17 Mustangs or just the PP Mustangs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lemon law , new 2015 , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page