First time driving a Mustang.. RPM - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

First time driving a Mustang.. RPM

Hey guys! So I just bought a 2016 GT (Manual) the other day and just wondering at what rpm should I start shifting gears? Cuz I still want the power when I step on the gas but at what certain point do I need to switch gears? I noticed its at 2,500 rpm? But at what rpm can I still hold on the gas?

Also downshifting.. From 6th to 2nd gear when I downshift I press on the gas but also waiting until the rpm hits 1k rpm then I lower gear.. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMustangGT View Post
Cuz I still want the power when I step on the gas but at what certain point do I need to switch gears? I noticed its at 2,500 rpm? But at what rpm can I still hold on the gas?

Also downshifting.. From 6th to 2nd gear when I downshift I press on the gas but also waiting until the rpm hits 1k rpm then I lower gear.. Any advice?
Congratulations on your new ride, post some pictures of it sometime!

Regarding your question, I'm not really sure what you're asking. Is this your first time driving a standard shift?

Every car is different and you just need to learn to feel when the best time to shift is. For me, I've found that every gear needs to be winded out to a different RPM. Listening to the engine is also very important.

Your car's particular gear ratio plays a huge role in finding when to shift. I have the 3.73 so I row the gears all day long.

That all being said, the 5.0 doesn't start to make noticeable power until about 3000 RPM, and it really come alive at 4000 and higher

Good luck and enjoy that new ride!

2014 GT Premium, MT-82, oxford white, Brembo brake package, 3.73, Roush A/B's

2008 Jaguar S-TYPE Satin Edition, one of last 750 built - Future classic!

2003 Jaguar S-TYPE R, V8 Supercharged - Sold
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015
Apprentice

Garage
For just daily driving, I shift my 13GT around 2k rpms. I also have 3.73 gearing so the shifts come quite frequently. There is still enough power at 2k rpm to move around with some authority. 6th gear to 2nd is quite a downshift. Normally I wouldn't be in 6th gear below 40mph. My 2nd gear tops out around 55-60. There isn't much wiggle room there. For big downshifts like that you'll want to rev match. 6th gear at 40 mph you'll be near 1100-1200 rpm and when to drop it into second you'll be closer to 5000 rpm. You'll need to give it gas before releasing the clutch in 2nd gear otherwise it'll engine brake hard. As mentioned, this is with the 3.73 gearing, so if you have a different diff ratio, you'll RPM and MPH will vary.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Okay thanks guys! And yes I'll post pictures here pretty soon.. Yeah I've noticed as far at between 2,500 to 3k rpm is when I need to shift and I usually just shift at 2,500rpm. When I downshift it's only when I need sto slow down or more power but rev-matching is what I need to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page