New GT and first oil change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
New GT and first oil change

I've got 2900 miles on my car and was wondering when everyone was doing their first oil change? I feel like it's probably a good idea to go ahead and have it done soon since it is new. The dealer threw in 6 oil changes for free but am also a little reluctant to have them do it too. I'm really picky about my cars and honestly don't trust the kids in the shop. It's a group of guys that the dealer hired to free up the Ford techs and all they do is oil and tire rotations. None looks a day older than 18. Thinking that I'll just do it myself and save me the worry and know it's done right. Anybody changing their own oil and if so where's the best jacking location for that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015
Apprentice

Mine is already up to 2500 miles in only five weeks (GAH!), and I'm debating my first oil change at either 3k miles or 5k miles. The oil that they use in new engines typically has special additives to help break in the engine, so I'd like to do it sooner, rather than later. With the holiday next week, I'll probably hit 3k miles in two weeks, and I'll change it, then, but I won't trust anyone to do it, plus, my three-year-old son has been BEGGING me to help change the oil on 'Red Vroom Vroom'.

I haven't gotten under the car to check out a jacking location, so I'm interested in that, as well.

I've been using Mobil 1 with K&N filters for years, but reading more and more about how XOM has decreased the quality of Mobil 1, I'm thinking about trying out Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. The Ultra is billed as being made from natural gas, which is supposedly 25% cleaner, but both are full synthetics, and both are rated very highly, while still being below that Royal Purple/Amsoil price tier.

I'll probably stick with the K&N filter, though as they have high filter flow rates, and don't bypass the filter element at high flow rates like other, lower quality filters.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknifetoaswan View Post
Mine is already up to 2500 miles in only five weeks (GAH!), and I'm debating my first oil change at either 3k miles or 5k miles. The oil that they use in new engines typically has special additives to help break in the engine, so I'd like to do it sooner, rather than later. With the holiday next week, I'll probably hit 3k miles in two weeks, and I'll change it, then, but I won't trust anyone to do it, plus, my three-year-old son has been BEGGING me to help change the oil on 'Red Vroom Vroom'.

I haven't gotten under the car to check out a jacking location, so I'm interested in that, as well.

I've been using Mobil 1 with K&N filters for years, but reading more and more about how XOM has decreased the quality of Mobil 1, I'm thinking about trying out Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra. The Ultra is billed as being made from natural gas, which is supposedly 25% cleaner, but both are full synthetics, and both are rated very highly, while still being below that Royal Purple/Amsoil price tier.

I'll probably stick with the K&N filter, though as they have high filter flow rates, and don't bypass the filter element at high flow rates like other, lower quality filters.

JR
I called the dealer and they told me the same thing about the additives from the factory for break-in and said to leave it in for 5000 miles. I'm probably going with Mobil 1 or the Motorcraft synthetic blend.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015
Apprentice

The system has a 10k mile countdown. I did my first one @ 5k and will do my next one closer to 15 (pushing 13 already and car will only be 6 months on the 19th)

2015 Mustang V6. The 'Go' came from the factory. Working on the 'Show' part.
Concert Photographer for NashvilleBeats.net
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015
Apprentice

I actually looked into Amsoil last night. While almost prohibitively expensive from an auto parts store, if you pay the $10 for a six month preferred membership, you get 25% off, which brings the cost down to less than $8/quart. A gallon jug is $30, and shipping is only a few bucks, so it brings the price way down. Given that, I'm actually thinking about springing and becoming an Amsoil dealer. I know enough folks in my area that I could buy and sell over cost, but below what the retailers are charging, and still make some coin to cover my costs and time.

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015
Rookie

Hey Guys, thinking through same oil change thoughts. I put the steeda jacking rails on my car, easy enough to do! I didn't even jack the car up to install them. I was thinking of going the royal purple route with this one. I did trade in a 2015 GT for my 2016. For the 2014, honestly, I just let the dealer change and told them to use a synthetic. I wasn't picky. The 2014, was hit with hail damage in month 3 of it's life. I knew I wasn't going to keep it very long since it had so much damage to it. You couldn't tell, but I knew.

I was letting the dealer change the oil because I didn't have easy jacking with it, and it looked like I would have to take the plastic shield off under the engine. How do you guys work around that?

Thanks!
RW

Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane! - Steven Wright

1966 C Class Convertible, 289 4 Speed
2016 GT Premium Coupe, 6-speed manual, Dk Gray
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa-fatboy View Post
I did trade in a 2015 GT for my 2016.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go from a 15 to a 16? Not trying to derail this topic but I literally just bought a 15 3 weeks ago.

For on topic I just let the dealership put synthetic in it, I've never heard of additives added but usually go on the dealerships recommendation which is usually 3-5k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I just let the dealer do it. Good bunch of guys, been going there for quite awhile - I trust them.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015
PONY Member

I wouldn't let the dealer change my oil if they paid me.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
Apprentice

Garage
My car has 5,250 miles. Should I get the oil changed now or wait until 10,000k, what the oil countdown recommends. The car says I have about 49 percent oil life left.
PONY Member
5.0L Member

I found it hard to wait past 5k miles to change the oil. I just can't bring myself to do it. I changed the oil at 5k on my 12 GT and now on my 15 GT I do the same. I can't imagine that it isn't better for the motor even though the recommendation is 10k.

OracleHCR
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium; Performance Package 1:
MagneRide; Active Exhaust
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coop View Post
My car has 5,250 miles. Should I get the oil changed now or wait until 10,000k, what the oil countdown recommends. The car says I have about 49 percent oil life left.
Go by the OLM and you'll be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleHCR View Post
I found it hard to wait past 5k miles to change the oil. I just can't bring myself to do it. I changed the oil at 5k on my 12 GT and now on my 15 GT I do the same. I can't imagine that it isn't better for the motor even though the recommendation is 10k.
It's not going to hurt anything waiting to 10,000 miles if that's when it needs to be done. Ford isn't going to recommend something that would be detrimental.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Wait until 10,000 miles then if you want to. I just said I personally can't bring myself to wait that long. I always changed my oil in my other vehicles at 3500 miles before my 12 GT. It was a stretch waiting until 5k with it. Maybe in 5 years, when the recommendation is 15 or 20k, I'll be able to wait 10000 miles to change my oil.

OracleHCR
2018 Lightning Blue GT Premium; Performance Package 1:
MagneRide; Active Exhaust
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1ck_T0ck View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what made you go from a 15 to a 16? Not trying to derail this topic but I literally just bought a 15 3 weeks ago.
Sorry. I had a typo. I traded on my 2014 for a 2016.

Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane! - Steven Wright

1966 C Class Convertible, 289 4 Speed
2016 GT Premium Coupe, 6-speed manual, Dk Gray
Rookie

I did my initial at 2000 miles. Changed over to Mobil 1 and Wix filter. I plan on 5k interval, but I'm picky. Use the gallon zip lock bag trick for the oil filter. It's a bit tricky to do without a mess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page