Have 2015 Mustang GT w/ PP manual. Does header void my warranty? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Have 2015 Mustang GT w/ PP manual. Does header void my warranty?

I went to the dealership after installed Bolra S type catback system.

It was okay. I'm looking into header for my next mod.

I wonder installation of header void my warranty or just void

header part only. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016
Apprentice

shorties or long tube?

2015 Mustang V6. The 'Go' came from the factory. Working on the 'Show' part.
Concert Photographer for NashvilleBeats.net
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
Rookie

The dealer cannot void your entire power train warranty for headers. If they find the headers caused a problem with the power train, then they can void that part of your warranty.

The bigger problem with LT headers is they move the Cats. That is illegal on any public road. Depending where you live this may/may not matter. I had LT's, a S/C and Meth injection in my last car and it would pass emissions every year because it was not throwing any codes.

Typically to get the most of LT headers you need to tune the ECM and that WILL void your power train warranty IF the dealer needs to authorize repair work from Ford.

I've never had Mid Length headers on a car so I can't comment. If they don't move the cats, they should be OK. I thought only shorty headers did not move the cat position.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016
PONY Member

Mid length headers will also move the cats. Because you're in California it's probably not wise to go down this road. Headers really should be tuned and then you can kiss any chance of having your car worked on if something goes wrong in the drivetrain.

2015 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2011 Mustang GT Premium Sold

2003 Mach1 Sold
2.3 Whipple, fully built motor with all the bolt-ons 718 rwhp/735 rwtq Sold
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016
Apprentice

Garage
pretty sure it will void the warranty
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Warranties are not that easy to void. The dealer must prove that the after market parts caused the failure. There is federal law out there called Magnuson- Moss warranty act of 1975. The act stated that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.

Preacherman
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016
PONY Member

A warranty is very easy to void by a dealer. They can just refuse to work on your car (which they will) and it's then up to you to take them to court. Chances are pretty good you'll lose. As far as the MM act, well, that's not going to help you in the case of a tune.

Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth - Mustang Evolution

2003 Mach1 Sold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmach View Post
A warranty is very easy to void by a dealer. They can just refuse to work on your car (which they will) and it's then up to you to take them to court. Chances are pretty good you'll lose. As far as the MM act, well, that's not going to help you in the case of a tune.

Mods and warranty claim denial- the truth - Mustang Evolution
Incorrect. The Magnuson Moss act very clearly states that it is up to the dealer to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that the modification directly caused the failure that they are trying not to cover. If you put headers on and drop a valve they are still going to cover that under warranty. If you over torque the header bolts when you install them and warp the mating surface that is on you. The dealer can't just say "eh you changed something, no warranty for you" Highly illegal and they have a lot to lose. That said, make damn sure your mods are done correctly and you know what it will effect.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016
PONY Member

The Magnuson Moss act was put in place to keep dealers from denying warranty on non OEM parts like fuel filters and spark plugs. It was never intended to help someone when they installed performance parts. I'll say it again it will be up to you to take the dealer or car manufacturer to court. And they have a lot more money to fight you on it.

2003 Mach1 Sold
Rookie

Quote:
The Magnuson Moss act was put in place to keep dealers from denying warranty on non OEM parts like fuel filters and spark plugs. It was never intended to help someone when they installed performance parts. I'll say it again it will be up to you to take the dealer or car manufacturer to court. And they have a lot more money to fight you on it.
Incorrect. The Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, there is no distinction for OEM and non OEM.

Law aside, it is always in the best interest of the dealer to cover warranty items. Primarily it is the good will to their customers, but secondary, Ford does pay them for the work and it is an opportunity to sell more work to the customer. If the modification clearly did not lead to the failure, Ford WILL cover it. The dealer does NOT want to go to court any more than you. The consumer also has the advantage of the office of consumer liaison that every manufacturer has in house to advocate for them.

Mod away, just be aware if your mod leads directly to another failure it may not be covered. other than that is is required by law to be covered.
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob View Post
Incorrect. The Act covers warranties on repair or replacement parts in consumer products, there is no distinction for OEM and non OEM.

Law aside, it is always in the best interest of the dealer to cover warranty items. Primarily it is the good will to their customers, but secondary, Ford does pay them for the work and it is an opportunity to sell more work to the customer. If the modification clearly did not lead to the failure, Ford WILL cover it. The dealer does NOT want to go to court any more than you. The consumer also has the advantage of the office of consumer liaison that every manufacturer has in house to advocate for them.

Mod away, just be aware if your mod leads directly to another failure it may not be covered. other than that is is required by law to be covered.
So much fail here.

2003 Mach1 Sold
Rookie

Quote:
So much fail here.
Yes, yes you do

Suppose we will just agree to disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
header , void , warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page