First Mod?!? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking First Mod?!?

Alright.... I've been busting my head on this one, and figured it couldn't hurt to hear opinions from the Mustang community. I'll hopefully have my GT here soon enough and I'll only have enough left over for one mod.

I've narrowed it down to two.... A CAI/Tuner combo (leaning towards the Steeda intake), or a set of axle back mufflers (Borla S-type stingers, catback too expensive). Can't afford anything more at the moment considering how much I'm already spending on the car, so these are the options I feel I'll get the most out of. On the one hand, I'll have that beautiful low level rumble coming from the car, on the other I'll have more power which is never a bad thing. Needless to say I'm torn.

Opinions?

-mnblah

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'd go with the CAI/TUNES I'm getting a tuner soon I already have a CAI best of luck to you

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016
Rookie

Garage
Id go for the CAI/Tuner first. I noticed the most initial gains from my CAI/Tuner. The axle-back was my 2nd mod, then an H-pipe.

'12 Mustang GT w/ Brembo Package 3.73s in Race Red, Boss Steering Wheel, Black Cobra Leather/Suede seats, GT500 axle-back, Heartthrobe Straight Piped h-pipe, Airraid CAI, Bama 91 SF3, Boss Brake Lines, Barton Shifter Bracket and Eibach Pro Kit

'64 Chevrolet Impala SS- frame off LowRod

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016
PONY Member

I don't think you'll see any power gain from a CAI...the FORD intake flows WAY MORE than the engine can use!!

Depending on the tuner you can gain up to 30 HP with or without a CAI but the "drivability" will greatly improve!!

Save your $$$'s for future mods!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2016
GT Member

The intakes on the 5.0s are pretty awesome from the factory, so a CAI isn't much of a gain. On the other hand, every Mustang I've heard with Borla Stingers turned heads, 4.6 and 5.0 alike. That's where I'd start. If you have a manual, don't forget a Barton or MGW shifter.

As long as you're N/A, I'd definitely recommend Brenspeed and an SCT tuner, but if you end up going FI, a dyno tune is a must.

If it's in the budget, my personal choice would be a set of LTs, Borla Stingers, a few mods to curb that IRS wheel hop, and a dyno tune and call it quits. That 5.0 would scream.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 302 stroker 6060 swap, 3.73 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, Bilsteins, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
DOB GT450 with VMP Gen II 2.3 TVS | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 hat & DW340s | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp 113 Springs & Retainers | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents | PTFE Heat Barriers
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016
Apprentice

In the past, my recommendation would have been to do exactly what you're doing. The funny thing is that with my S550, my first mod was Steeda Jacking Jails, then a Steeda Clutch Spring, and a Bob's Oil Separator. I've also got a Steeda Heel/Toe accelerator pedal to install. No clue when I'll get around to the intake, exhaust, and tune. Probably later this year?

JR

2016 Race Red GT Premium Fastback - Performance Package, Navigation, Enhanced Security Package, Ebony Premier Trim
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016
Rookie

I'm looking to install a airaid CAI but on AM site after the video they ran a dyno and before the install it shows less than 400 horses. Why is there a big difference and what would be a good CAI to install and tune or no tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnblah View Post
Alright.... I've been busting my head on this one, and figured it couldn't hurt to hear opinions from the Mustang community. I'll hopefully have my GT here soon enough and I'll only have enough left over for one mod.

I've narrowed it down to two.... A CAI/Tuner combo (leaning towards the Steeda intake), or a set of axle back mufflers (Borla S-type stingers, catback too expensive). Can't afford anything more at the moment considering how much I'm already spending on the car, so these are the options I feel I'll get the most out of. On the one hand, I'll have that beautiful low level rumble coming from the car, on the other I'll have more power which is never a bad thing. Needless to say I'm torn.

Opinions?

-mnblah
Get the louder cans!

LOL my first "mod" was over the weekend - got myself a clutch pedal extension. 1 1/2" is a HUGE difference. I don't know why I never thought of this for ALL my past vehicles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016

A custom calibration and cold air intake is always the best choice if you are looking to start the modding process. A calibration in essence unleashes what this engine wants to do to but can not without the help of a great calibration. Not to mention you get an SCT X4 with the package, you will need one of these when you get addicted to the power and crave a lot more. cough* cough* (supercharger) or if you want to put in a different set of rear end gears.

Here is a link to what we would recommend to start with: 2015-16 Mustang GT JLT Plastic Cold Air Intake Custom Tuner Package

Please feel free to email us at [email protected] or call in to the number in our signature below if you have any questions. We have multiple sales representatives to answer your questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page