• 1 Post By rideflstn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Questions about my interior

2014 GT 5.0
13,700K miles

OK I went and paid for the leather seats in my car when I bought it. Before I take it to the dealer I'm hoping those "in the know" here can help me with some info so I can go in "loaded" with some facts. Yesterday's trip to fix my heating system had me leaving pretty pissed off. Don't ask.

Today's detailing of the inside had a few discoveries.
Keep in mind this car is babied to no end and it only has 13,700K miles on it.

Can someone tell me if all 4 seats are supposed to be leather AND bad enough parts of the front seats are thin, cheap (and yes cheap) cloth, but the backs are vinyl.

Also, the steering wheel was said to be leather.
IT IS NOT.

The driver seat is showing fraying too. So this discovery yields the fact the seat leather is not tanned to color but painted to color. Kinda pissed off about this. Is this normal wear for a car that is hardly used?

The "leather" panels in the doors are NOT leather.

How can I tell you ask? Several things... leather has a taste. Leather has a "nap" if you lightly, and I mean lightly scratch it. Leather wrinkles and wears and darkens. Vinyl does not. Vinyl tastes like Vaseline. LOL yes, I tasted the seats where I couldn't lift a seam.

I have worked with leather products for my entire adult life and I am well versed in it's care and quality as it was part of my daily routine to take care of it.

Now, lets go on to the plastic on the driver's door.
PLEASE keep in mind I am a tiny woman. My body is not big enough to have my shoulder touch the door while driving and I absolutely do not, under any circumstances wear a jacket while driving.

The image I'm including with this looks much milder than it actually is. It's really hard getting a good photo of this. it takes up an area of about 8" wide and 5" tall on the door panel.

There seems to be flaking going on with the plastic.
This is the only spot it's happening on (driver side). Is this normal? I'm thinking no and is it under warranty? I'll look that up as well, but I want opinions here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

apparently I put this in the wrong forum.

Mods - feel free to move it

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016
GT Member

Those seats are only real leather in the center the outsides are cheap vinyl!

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona stang10 View Post
Those seats are only real leather in the center the outsides are cheap vinyl!
I'm not so sure what you mean. It's obvious the seats are leather on the sides from looking at my first photo.

Are you referring to your own car? Can you clarify your answer?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchin Kitten View Post
2014 GT 5.0
13,700K miles
Buying a muscle car and expecting a good quality interior is like walking into a Chinese takeaway and requesting a Cabernet Sauvignon...if they did have some it's not gonna be good. That's the case with a Mustang and good interiors.

The mustang is a "low cost for high power" solution. They keep the price down by skimping on the interior and quality of materials. The interior is lacking quality even on the newer cars including the GT350.

I've seen people on here complain about the rear seats not being leather. The faux leather is actually more durable than the real leather so I like it.

I just cleaned my plastic doors and they look as good as new. Didn't have those marks you have but it's worth a try with some Turtle Wax Interior Protectant and a toothbrush-to get between the tiny grooves.

If you want power with plush leather and quality interiors go European-BMW, Merc etc. but expect to pay for the difference.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterang View Post
Buying a muscle car and expecting a good quality interior is like walking into a Chinese takeaway and requesting a Cabernet Sauvignon...if they did have some it's not gonna be good. That's the case with a Mustang and good interiors.

The mustang is a "low cost for high power" solution. They keep the price down by skimping on the interior and quality of materials. The interior is lacking quality even on the newer cars including the GT350.

I've seen people on here complain about the rear seats not being leather. The faux leather is actually more durable than the real leather so I like it.

I just cleaned my plastic doors and they look as good as new. Didn't have those marks you have but it's worth a try with some Turtle Wax Interior Protectant and a toothbrush-to get between the tiny grooves.

If you want power with plush leather and quality interiors go European-BMW, Merc etc. but expect to pay for the difference.
The doors are not going to be solved with the interior protectant. What you see is flaking, not schmutz between the texture.

Gotcha on the leather. Just wanted to know what I paid for vs the line of crap they apparently sold me.
Personally I don't like the vinyl because it's not going to wear and age the same as the leather.

Now I'm leaning greatly toward getting a rear seat delete kit. Those headrests on the back seats are so obnoxious anyway when I need to flip the seats down.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchin Kitten View Post
The doors are not going to be solved with the interior protectant. What you see is flaking, not schmutz between the texture.

Gotcha on the leather. Just wanted to know what I paid for vs the line of crap they apparently sold me.
Personally I don't like the vinyl because it's not going to wear and age the same as the leather.

Now I'm leaning greatly toward getting a rear seat delete kit. Those headrests on the back seats are so obnoxious anyway when I need to flip the seats down.
If you're doing the rear seat delete please go with the Ford Racing one Link

Expensive but worth it.
Twitchin Kitten likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
BOSS Member

Garage
Seating surfaces are the only parts that are leather, maybe the insert in the seatbacks too. The back of the seat and rear seats are indeed vinyl, as are the door inserts. That is part of the "premium" interior. I have 79,000 miles on my car and you should see some of the wear on my drivers marks seat. It doesn't look horrible but it definitely looks well used.

My drivers door has the same "flaking", although I think it is more likely from something rubbing against the plastic when entering and exiting the car. My passenger door doesn't have that marking.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016
Rookie

I just cleaned my plastic doors and they look as good as new. Didn't have those marks you have but it's worth a try with some Turtle Wax Interior Protectant and a toothbrush-to get between the tiny grooves. QUOTE.

I also prefer high quality vinyl.It is a much better product for a car seat than leather.There are plenty of '60's muscle cars with the original vinyl that still looks great. Easy to clean,long lasting and will show very little wear.
I have had 4 Mustang motorcycle seats that suffered WAAY more abuse than any car seat and they all still looked like new when traded. I dont get the whole leather seat thing.It is good for jackets though.
Masterang likes this.

'13 GT500,'15 Mustang GT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72 View Post
Seating surfaces are the only parts that are leather, maybe the insert in the seatbacks too. The back of the seat and rear seats are indeed vinyl, as are the door inserts. That is part of the "premium" interior. I have 79,000 miles on my car and you should see some of the wear on my drivers marks seat. It doesn't look horrible but it definitely looks well used.

My drivers door has the same "flaking", although I think it is more likely from something rubbing against the plastic when entering and exiting the car. My passenger door doesn't have that marking.
Well, I discovered the cause of the flaking, it's the seat belt being released. I'm short, so when I adjust my seat, it's way in front of that area I showed you by a good 10" or so. When the belt releases it whacks the door with the hard part of the connector. Not much I can do about that.

I still prefer leather. I love the smell of it, the way it wears and how even on the hottest days, it does not get as hot as vinyl. You don't stick to it either :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page