Am I seeing things? Carbon fiber vinyl? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Am I seeing things? Carbon fiber vinyl?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/carbo...5#ProductGrid4
They 950 for a possible sticker real carbon fiber? Is this an actual replace part or a sticker because from the description it seems like a sticker but then why is it $950? It don’t give any real benefits and the ppl that bought this vinyl I don’t feel sorry for them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Think of this carbon stick-on trim for Mustangs as the lower class version of burled walnut venier stick-on trim for Rolls-Royce.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Think of this carbon stick-on trim for Mustangs as the lower class version of burled walnut venier stick-on trim for Rolls-Royce.
but why... if it ain’t functional then there isn’t a reason to get it especially for $950.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Expensive interior dress-up for sure. Same concept as exterior stripes, Spinners, Billet caps and covers for engine and interior items, undercarriage lightening, etc.

Why do people buy a new car and a month later buy new aftermarket wheels and tires for 2 grand while making finance payments on the wheels and tires they just took off their new car?

It comes down to personalization and I wouldn't begrudge anyone from that or spending their beer money doing it.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yeah, I guess it's one step up from the fake carbon fiber stick-ons

The product listing says it is real carbon fiber panels, which explains the price tag. I think you can get fake carbon vinyl a lot cheaper than that.

Apparently they stick-on, on top of the regular panels . . . sounds like a good way to make a thousand dollar mess of your dashboard.

But if you gotta have a real bitchin' carbon fiber dash, this is probably cheaper than having Dave Kindig make it for you.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseeu1001 View Post
but why... if it ainít functional then there isnít a reason to get it especially for $950.
Why aren't all cars painted black?

Opinion on your part. There are some things people do to their cars that I just shake my head at, turn away and I hope they get enjoyment out of it.

No, I didn't by this and install it on my Mustang.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBert View Post
Quote:
but why... if it ain’t functional then there isn’t a reason to get it especially for $950.
Why aren't all cars painted black?

Opinion on your part. There are some things people do to their cars that I just shake my head at, turn away and I hope they get enjoyment out of it.

No, I didn't by this and install it on my Mustang.
unsure if there are any carbon fiber parts or not but trufiber used to make them real https://trufiber.com/shop/2015-2019-...g268-dash-kit/

And they were 1k compare to fake real carbon fiber stickers that cost $950. I could buy carbon fiber sticker for $100 that’s precut or even uncut fiber and cut the stickers myself. It just makes me scratch my head. Aftermarket rims are not the same thing though because your not trying to look fake and buy knock off rims.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you are asking about the carbon panels in your link (Post #1); yes they are true carbon fiber, not fake unless the description in the link is false. And yes they are expensive.

Its just an adhesive backing on the preformed carbon panels.

About the aftermarket rims: The aftermarket rim part was not the point about being fake or not. Your original post mentioned benefit as well as cost. To those points, maybe you can tell me what the benefit is of 4 new factory wheels and tires sitting in the garage that just came off a new car that someone is making payments on. Even if they are sold on eBay or used as trade-in value they were part of the new car purchase someone is still making payments on. Its just an example of elective spending for something that most likely isn't needed but wanted to personalize their car to make it look better in the opinion of the owner.

Edit: I too, would not buy and install the carbon panels.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
If you are asking about the carbon panels in your link (Post #1); yes they are true carbon fiber, not fake unless the description in the link is false. And yes they are expensive.

Its just an adhesive backing on the preformed carbon panels.

About the aftermarket rims: The aftermarket rim part was not the point about being fake or not. Your original post mentioned benefit as well as cost. To those points, maybe you can tell me what the benefit is of 4 new factory wheels and tires sitting in the garage that just came off a new car that someone is making payments on. Even if they are sold on eBay or used as trade-in value they were part of the new car purchase someone is still making payments on. Its just an example of elective spending for something that most likely isn't needed but wanted to personalize their car to make it look better in the opinion of the owner.

Edit: I too, would not buy and install the carbon panels.
I’m just trying to comprehend y they cost $950 for some stick on that makes no sense when you get it cheaper. Real carbon fiber pieces I get why they are expensive but not this sticker type that doesn’t aid in the car being lighter. Why would anyone buy $950 fake carbon fiber trim piece when you can get them for $100 or less.
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
. . they were 1k compare to fake real carbon fiber stickers that cost $950. . . .
yep, there is a huge difference between $950 and $1K . . . but some might call it "rounding error" . . . LOL

Quote:
. . . . Why would anyone buy $950 fake carbon fiber trim piece when you can get them for $100 or less.
According to the listing, it is not fake, it is real carbon fiber . . . and the tooling and material for that stuff is expensive. I guess maybe the TrueFiber ones were more "real" because they require you to remove and throw away the old panels . . . yeah maybe that's more "real" but it's also a lot more work for the same result.

I guess someone would pay that money if they really like carbon fiber, or if they are doing a super custom spare-no-expense build, or if they want to brag that their 'stang has the same carbon fiber as a million dollar Ferrari, or whatever . . . could be a million reasons why someone might do that; none of them are purely "rational."

If we were purely rational, we wouldn't be driving Mustangs at all; and we sure wouldn't replace our perfectly good factory wheels and tires with aftermarket ones, like EZ said.

That said -- my guess is, they haven't sold very many! They definitely won't be selling any to me, ha ha!

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
Quote:
. . they were 1k compare to fake real carbon fiber stickers that cost $950. . . .
yep, there is a huge difference between $950 and $1K . . . but some might call it "rounding error" . . . LOL

Quote:
. . . . Why would anyone buy $950 fake carbon fiber trim piece when you can get them for $100 or less.
According to the listing, it is not fake, it is real carbon fiber . . . and the tooling and material for that stuff is expensive. I guess maybe the TrueFiber ones were more "real" because they require you to remove and throw away the old panels . . . yeah maybe that's more "real" but it's also a lot more work for the same result.

I guess someone would pay that money if they really like carbon fiber, or if they are doing a super custom spare-no-expense build, or if they want to brag that their 'stang has the same carbon fiber as a million dollar Ferrari, or whatever . . . could be a million reasons why someone might do that; none of them are purely "rational."

If we were purely rational, we wouldn't be driving Mustangs at all; and we sure wouldn't replace our perfectly good factory wheels and tires with aftermarket ones, like EZ said.

That said -- my guess is, they haven't sold very many! They definitely won't be selling any to me, ha ha!
it’s not real carbon fiber because it won’t replace the weight of the original part instead add a very tiny bit of unnoticeable weight which is the reason I call it fake because it doesn’t benefit the car like real carbon fiber is suppose to. That’s like me getting a fake tat and saying look at my tat.
ONEZ ST likes this.
Apprentice

There are all kinds of tacky accessories for Mustangs. From chrome tailight trim to tire valve stem covers shaped like dice. Being able to express our tastes is one of the freedoms we get to enjoy in our Land of Liberty. Personally I donít care for black rims, which are quite popular these days. It looks like someone hasnít cleaned the brake dust off in several months. I have to log off now. I need to order some chrome screw-on tailpipe extensions from J.C. Whitney. Those babies are really going make those chrome tailight surrounds pop.

He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Yea Dave, go order your new bolt-on rusty exhaust tips. This is my new hood ornament.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new hood ornament.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	609899  

PONY Member

Quote:
Yea Dave, go order your new bolt-on rusty exhaust tips. This is my new hood ornament.
She looks like my wife if her hair was shorter.
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I was referring to the skull painted on the hood.

Cobra2572 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page