Ford Mustang Forum banner

Am I seeing things? Carbon fiber vinyl?

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  fordpro 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Think of this carbon stick-on trim for Mustangs as the lower class version of burled walnut venier stick-on trim for Rolls-Royce.

#4 ·
Expensive interior dress-up for sure. Same concept as exterior stripes, Spinners, Billet caps and covers for engine and interior items, undercarriage lightening, etc.

Why do people buy a new car and a month later buy new aftermarket wheels and tires for 2 grand while making finance payments on the wheels and tires they just took off their new car?

It comes down to personalization and I wouldn't begrudge anyone from that or spending their beer money doing it.

#5 ·
yeah, I guess it's one step up from the fake carbon fiber stick-ons

The product listing says it is real carbon fiber panels, which explains the price tag. I think you can get fake carbon vinyl a lot cheaper than that.

Apparently they stick-on, on top of the regular panels . . . sounds like a good way to make a thousand dollar mess of your dashboard.

But if you gotta have a real bitchin' carbon fiber dash, this is probably cheaper than having Dave Kindig make it for you.

#8 ·
If you are asking about the carbon panels in your link (Post #1); yes they are true carbon fiber, not fake unless the description in the link is false. And yes they are expensive.

Its just an adhesive backing on the preformed carbon panels.

About the aftermarket rims: The aftermarket rim part was not the point about being fake or not. Your original post mentioned benefit as well as cost. To those points, maybe you can tell me what the benefit is of 4 new factory wheels and tires sitting in the garage that just came off a new car that someone is making payments on. Even if they are sold on eBay or used as trade-in value they were part of the new car purchase someone is still making payments on. Its just an example of elective spending for something that most likely isn't needed but wanted to personalize their car to make it look better in the opinion of the owner.

Edit: I too, would not buy and install the carbon panels.

#9 ·
I’m just trying to comprehend y they cost $950 for some stick on that makes no sense when you get it cheaper. Real carbon fiber pieces I get why they are expensive but not this sticker type that doesn’t aid in the car being lighter. Why would anyone buy $950 fake carbon fiber trim piece when you can get them for $100 or less.

#12 ·
There are all kinds of tacky accessories for Mustangs. From chrome tailight trim to tire valve stem covers shaped like dice. Being able to express our tastes is one of the freedoms we get to enjoy in our Land of Liberty. Personally I don’t care for black rims, which are quite popular these days. It looks like someone hasn’t cleaned the brake dust off in several months. I have to log off now. I need to order some chrome screw-on tailpipe extensions from J.C. Whitney. Those babies are really going make those chrome tailight surrounds pop.

#16 ·
but why is it $995 though. That is insane for a fake carbon fiber look. There are already other fake vinyl cbf that cost less than $100. That is why I keep saying this that it is an insane price for a fake cbf look. I wish more aftermarket companies would make real cbf parts. Removing the back seat does help reduce the weight but I don’t want to completely gut my car but instead put real cbf parts on. I would have though t that some company would make real cbf parts by now. I hate fake parts on cars that doesn’t function. Just like stupid vortex generators and fake hood scoops and stupid exhaust on stupid little Honda’s. I mean I got a fake good scoop but and some fake vents at the side but that was from roush factory install and it’s the warrior edition so I don’t want to mess up the look from factory but a few carbon fiber real parts wouldn’t hurt. Like I mention I still want to comfortable and don’t want a complete gutter car. I am not trying to race anybody.

#18 ·
aha, I finally figured out what you are trying to say also -- I was thrown off by the word "fake" used to mean "non-functional"

there is lots of fake carbon fiber out there, meaning vinyl with a carbon-fiber looking appearance . . . these panels are not fake, they have real carbon fiber in them -- but they are non-functional, just like the "non-functioal" aka "fake" hood scoops and such

I agree, I do not want any non-functional or "fake" parts on my car . . . but lots of people do all kinds of things with these cars that are not functional, each to his own

#21 ·
Its "stick on" not "sticker". You place it on with 3M tape over the existing trim pieces for added strength since carbon fiber is relatively fragile. And since carbon fiber is thin, you really can't tell that it is on top of existing trim.

#24 ·
Remember my first post where I wrote "Think of this carbon stick-on trim for Mustangs as the lower class version of burled walnut venier stick-on trim for Rolls-Royce."

R-R cars with wood interiors are actually walnut cut to proper contour which has Burl wood vernier glued to it. Using your reasoning R-R owners are getting a sticker because it is an overlay and not 100% Burl wood. That might offend a few R-R owners and offend the craftsmen at R-R.

In the case of the carbon overlay you are getting true carbon material as well as the convenience of easy application. Its exactly the same concept as R-R but instead of using walnut as the base and burl wood, it is plastic base and carbon.

To me the question is would I buy the thicker carbon panels at $990 and pay someone $300 for the skills I lack to remove dash panels and install new carbon panels that do require some trimming. Or do I buy the carbon overlays for $900 and use my skill level to install them.

And the weight savings: that's really a non-issue unless its a body panel or hood. I can save more weight by removing the junk in my center console.

I really understand your point over this but put it in context. The carbon fiber trim kit is a cosmetic upgrade to someone who would want it.

I will tell you what is a fake carbon fiber look-a-like. It's the dash panels on my 2012 GT that are made of black plastic but patterned to resemble carbon panels.

#28 ·
I was an advanced composites engineer earlier in my career, and I love the stuff . . . . but I would not waste my money on little bits of it because the weight savings is not significant enough to be worth the money. I would consider larger parts like hood and trunk lid because there is some weight savings available there; and especially if there is another reason to replace those panels anyway (like the paint bubbling that I have on my hood now).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.