First time Mustang Owner - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question First time Mustang Owner

Hello Everyone, I am so happy to finally join the mustang community. I have always dreamed of buying a ford mustang as a child and finally got a 2019 Mustang GT with manual transmission.
This is my first american sports car and I currently own a BMW 545i and Mercedes E550.
I have a couple of questions:

1: I am not sure but I feel like the car doesn't rev as quick or feel as quick with about 460 hp compared to the BMW 325 hp v8. I am not saying its slow but it feel like I have to throttle it hard to make it rev quick. The transmission shifts beautiful and I am getting better at shifting the MT82. I do find the clutch has a long pedal travel but now I am getting used to it.
Are 5.0 engines less torqy at low RPM? I am not trying to go past 3500 rpm for the first few hundred miles of break in anyway. I am also worried about over revving and abusing my car.

2: The only mod I did was to get a weighted shift knob. It has made the shifting a day and night difference in terms of comfort. Mind you It has been almost 18 years I have driven a manual car and when I was trying to twist off the OEM shift knob it was quite hard to get it off. I only used by hands no tools. Maybe i am being paranoid but I feel like there is a little rotational play in the shift lever when I kind of twist the shift knob back and forth a little. I put the old one back and also noted that play and it may have been there before but I never noted it until now. I asked my dad and he said it was fine. Attached in the picture of 700 gram shift knob.
-Also if you can input on any harms a weighted knob can have on transmission.

I appreciate your input and again very happy that I purchased a mustang.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190619_203711.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	610357  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019
Rookie

Garage
I have a 2017 Mustang GT. The first thing I did to it was replace that 185 lb clutch helper spring with a 35 lb spring from Steeda. You can't feel the clutch engage with that heavy spring. My clutch feels more like I was use to with that smaller spring.

The torque curve on the new Mustang GT's is pretty low. Max torque is 420 at 4600 RPM. Your car will rev to 7000+ RPM. Surprised to hear you think the torque curve is less than your BMW. Did you order the Performance Pact option? That gives you a 3.73 rear end. That is what I have and it engages very well and quickly maxs out the RPM. If you didn't get the PP option then you probably have a 3.55 rear gear.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome!

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for replying: I do not have the PP option on mine. It is hard to describe but I feel like I have to rev the engine to make it go faster compared to the bmw it revs quickly to 2500 rpms and get to 0-60 pretty quick. Maybe the throttle response on mine needs to be tuned.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Welcome to AFM. If you feel your throttle response is delayed get a Throttle Commander. Google it up if you feel this will fix the sluggish response get one.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page