Will an 18" spare fit in the trunk well of a 2019 GT premium? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djl45

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will an 18" spare fit in the trunk well of a 2019 GT premium?

I would like to use a full size spare even if I can only use it on the front. I have 20" wheel option and no performance pack options, so standard brakes.

I have been able to exercise this option in my Subaru Legacy with stock tire/wheel size, as well as my GF's Kia Soul.

Don't have car in my possession yet. Anyone tried it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't know about any specifics for the 2019 model year, but the basics have not changed from prior years:

> any spare tire must be very close to the same diameter as the other tires on the car . . . so the spare tire well must be sized to fit the diameter
> not sure if your 20" wheels are an exception, they might have larger overall tire diameter that won't fit
> any spare you use, should match the overall diameter of the other tires pretty close (within about 1/4" or less if possible)
> my 2010 came with a "donut" that matched the diameter of my other tires pretty well, but it was much thinner and that's why it fit in the well
> any real spare wheel/tire that is wide enough to clear the front brakes, will likely stick up/out of the well -- so you'll need to decide if you need a flat floor in your trunk, or if you can live with the big lump caused by the spare sticking out

Easy way to test it: take one of your current wheels off, and see if it fits in the well

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I was hoping someone had tried it. I'd rather go with stock 18" tire, as it is 1" narrower than the 20" and will sit lower in the trunk, while the diameter/circumference are the same as the 20" tire. Otherwise, I am ok with the tire sticking up a couple inches. I live alone, so it is up to me what I carry in the trunk.
I had an experience a few years ago when my fully loaded Subaru ran over some sort of metal rod that poked a hole in my tire and wheel. I had to go 4 hours at 55 MPH on a temp spare while traffic went by me at 75. An inflator kit would not have worked in that situation. I vowed never to go without a full size spare if possible.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
Thanks, I was hoping someone had tried it. I'd rather go with stock 18" tire, as it is 1" narrower than the 20" and will sit lower in the trunk, while the diameter/circumference are the same as the 20" tire. Otherwise, I am ok with the tire sticking up a couple inches. I live alone, so it is up to me what I carry in the trunk.
I had an experience a few years ago when my fully loaded Subaru ran over some sort of metal rod that poked a hole in my tire and wheel. I had to go 4 hours at 55 MPH on a temp spare while traffic went by me at 75. An inflator kit would not have worked in that situation. I vowed never to go without a full size spare if possible.
Best way to tell is measure it out, measure the depth and diameter of the well

2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
Best way to tell is measure it out, measure the depth and diameter of the well

I agree, but I won't have access to the car until tomorrow. Tire Rack has some closeouts in 18" wheels and tires that I was interested in ordering today. I can order tomorrow after I measure.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

OK, put the 20"OEM wheel/tire in the empty trunk. It fits in the well, but I had to remove the rear trunk plastic trim, a quick job removing 4 plastic nuts and defeating 2 body clips. Otherwise, I would have to trim the tabs that hold up the cover that lifts off to reveal the well. The tire sticks up substantially, but I can work around that. I could just place it there for trips. Sorry, no pics. That is one heavy wheel/tire combination.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019
Apprentice

Garage
I use the space that the inflation kit was in to store a 1.5 ton Harbor freight tools Aluminum floor racing jack, tools, first aid kit and jumper cables. I made a cover for that space using 1/2 inch plywood. I stapled velcro hook fastener to the plywood. The velcro holds the grey trunk jute material I ordered from Amazon.com. The plywood supports the weight of the spare tire and wheel. I used wooden shims with attached velcro hook to hold the spare in place in a corner of the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190707_150033564 - Copy.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	709.9 KB
ID:	610533  

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie

A little pricey but will work front/rear and fits in the trunk space; I will pay for the convenience and no hassle tire change.

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc.c...nt=35757212297
Bronco2fan likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 1 Week Ago
Rookie

I bought a 2019 GT - not premium - but should be the same. Stock wheel will NOT fit in the tire well. So I bought a spare from Ford. It fits right in. Gotta get a lug wrench and jack though. I got the lug wrench. Looking for a small jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page