• 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By ONEZ ST
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By Kraig1957

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Any reason to not add TPMS to a spare?

I'm ordering a wheel/tire and it's $31 for a stem and TPMS monitor. Tire Rack notes that dealers may be reluctant to install a wheel without TPMS. Sure I can mount it myself, but if I call AAA or somehow end up in a shop with a bad tire, it could get complicated. My main concern is, does having a dormant TPMS in the spare have any effect on the system in the car? Are they motion activated?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019
PONY Member

Garage
Ford could have left it out of the spare for cost reasons or because the signal could interfere with the TPMS software. If you're running a donut spare, they're only meant to be used for short emergency drives.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
I'm ordering a wheel/tire and it's $31 for a stem and TPMS monitor. Tire Rack notes that dealers may be reluctant to install a wheel without TPMS. Sure I can mount it myself, but if I call AAA or somehow end up in a shop with a bad tire, it could get complicated. My main concern is, does having a dormant TPMS in the spare have any effect on the system in the car? Are they motion activated?

Get a TPMS sensor for your spare. I've done it and have had no problems or interference with the tires mounted on the car.

I ordered a full size matching 20 inch wheel from Ford when I needed to buy new tires. I took the best tire, left it on the existing wheel and with the original factory TPMS unit, and put it in the trunk for a spare. I had Costco mount the new tires on the other three remaining existing wheels, and add a TPMS unit to the new ford wheel when they mounted the tire. They set (relearned) the TPMS units for each tire and wheel on the car and the TPMS unit in the trunk on the spare was ignored by the car's computer. The spare with a TPMS sensor didn't interfere with the operation of the TPMS units of those mounted on the car.

Shortly after my new set of tires, I had a puncture in the side wall of a tire due to a road hazard. I mounted the spare, went back to Costco. I had to leave the blown tire while they ordered a new tire (for $1.00 prorated under the road hazard warranty). I also had them turn on the mounted spare TPMS unit. It worked without any problems.

My guess is that each TPMS unit has a different serial number associated with it, and the computer read only the serial numbers it has been relearned to read.

The spare air pressure should be checked occasionally, since the system only reads four TPMS units and not the the fifth one.
imps likes this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I ordered the TPMS, but 18" wheel/tire. Same circumference, an inch narrower, sits lower in the trunk..

What's with the whip in your siggy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
Get a TPMS sensor for your spare. I've done it and have had no problems or interference with the tires mounted on the car.

I ordered a full size matching 20 inch wheel from Ford when I needed to buy new tires. I took the best tire, left it on the existing wheel and with the original factory TPMS unit, and put it in the trunk for a spare. I had Costco mount the new tires on the other three remaining existing wheels, and add a TPMS unit to the new ford wheel when they mounted the tire. They set (relearned) the TPMS units for each tire and wheel on the car and the TPMS unit in the trunk on the spare was ignored by the car's computer. The spare with a TPMS sensor didn't interfere with the operation of the TPMS units of those mounted on the car.

Shortly after my new set of tires, I had a puncture in the side wall of a tire due to a road hazard. I mounted the spare, went back to Costco. I had to leave the blown tire while they ordered a new tire (for $1.00 prorated under the road hazard warranty). I also had them turn on the mounted spare TPMS unit. It worked without any problems.

My guess is that each TPMS unit has a different serial number associated with it, and the computer read only the serial numbers it has been relearned to read.

The spare air pressure should be checked occasionally, since the system only reads four TPMS units and not the the fifth one.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019
Apprentice

Garage
The whip is for an RCI 69FFB4 Transceiver mounted on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0189 - Copy.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	788.1 KB
ID:	610535  

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
PONY Member

You have to do a tpms relearn any time you change a tires location. You can buy the tool and do it yourself any time you want for about $20
imps likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019
Rookie

Good question, Iím learning. Iím thinking of getting real spare for my 20ís.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
You have to do a tpms relearn any time you change a tires location. You can buy the tool and do it yourself any time you want for about $20
This is not so on my 2004. It came from factory with a steel spare wheel, similar tire to the 4 on the car, except those had alloy rims. No TPMS sensor in the spare. I bought a boneyard '04 alloy rim and TPMS sensor at Ford, ordered the
programming magnet on Ebay, put the spare together on the alloy, programmed the sensor, and have 5-wheel rotated wheels many times with no trouble at all.

EDIT: I failed to explain, my 2004 is an Explorer, not a Mustang. Sorry!

Last edited by imps; 09-29-2019 at 12:54 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I didn't think they had TPMS in 2004, but I guess I must be wrong.

Pretty sure the system has evolved over the years -- on my 2010, the system does not seem to distinguish between the position of the wheels and it does not tell you which tire is low, just that one of them is low. So I'm not sure how it deals with a sensor in the spare . . . but I have a full size spare in my trunk right now and it does not seem to bother the system at all. Also I have noticed that sometimes -- seems to be with Ford OEM sensors -- it does not need to be reprogrammed when I move wheels around, such as when I switch from my summer to winter wheels.

Anyway yes, I would definitely put the TPMS in the spare and I don't understand why any shop would have a problem with that.
imps likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If you have a temporary use emergency spare don't waste your time or money on a TPMSensor. However, if you are going with a full size spare you intend to rotate on the car get a sensor.

To me the issue is where are you going to put the full size spare on cars that didn't come with them from the factory or have room for one in the trunk. Just toss it in the trunk?
imps likes this.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
. . . To me the issue is where are you going to put the full size spare on cars that didn't come with them from the factory or have room for one in the trunk. Just toss it in the trunk?
A full size spare will fit in the well on the diameter, but they stick out on the width . . . which kinda sucks because you have to remove the board and use some kind of flexible cover, but at least it isn't rolling around in the trunk

I was OK with the donut that originally came with my car . . . then I upgraded my front brakes and realized I could not use the donut on the front . . . oh well, worst case if I get a flat on the front, i would have to move a wheel from the back to the front, and use the donut on the back . . . then I upsized my rear rotors and the donut wouldn't clear on the back either . . . and I really hate being completely without a spare, so I use one of my winter wheels as a spare and I live with the hump in the trunk
imps likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I remember now that you mentioned that.

I never addressed that on my 2012 Mustang. I have 255/45-18 front and 275/40-18 rear. I still have the temp spare (185/55-18) and would probably still use it on the back for short distance to get a replacement I think. Currently the spare and rears have a height difference of .064" and the offset front to back has a .038" difference. So I'm not sure if rotating front to back and using the spare on front gives me any advantages for short distance.

However, my Dodge Scat Pack, w/o offsets, only came with the slime kit so I bought a temp spare from Performance Spare in AZ that will clear the Brembos but has a height delta that requires me to rotate rotate front back and use the Performance Spare on the front if a rear goes flat. A hassle it would be but worth the sweat to avert some expense for a new TPMsensor that will likely get gummed up if I used a slime inflator. And best of all the spare fits in the spare tire well tho its a tight fit with a battery next to it.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
If you have a temporary use emergency spare don't waste your time or money on a TPMSensor. However, if you are going with a full size spare you intend to rotate on the car get a sensor.

To me the issue is where are you going to put the full size spare on cars that didn't come with them from the factory or have room for one in the trunk. Just toss it in the trunk?

I have a full size wheel and tire in the trunk for a spare. I have had two punctures within months of each other in the side wall, right after I bought the spare wheel. The spare came in handy since you can't use the slime/tire inflation kit for punctures in or near the sidewall. Also both times it took until the next business day before they could get me another tire. I would hate to be on the road 500 miles from the nearest large urban area somewhere out west and have a flat.

To store the tire in the trunk, I took the factory installed plastic covered with jute piece out of the bottom of the trunk on top of the inflation kit and used it to mark a piece of 1/2 plywood. I cut the plywood with a jig saw and also made a slot where I could put my hand under between the rear of the trunk and the plywood to be able get my fingers in to lift it. When it fit just right I stapled Velcro hook to the roughest side of the plywood and glued velcro hook to the piece of plastic that is part of the passenger side sub-woofer that runs along the floor of the trunk. I bought a roll of jute and I cut a piece so that it would be centered on the plywood, but overlapped the plywood and completely covered the trunk from the back seats to the sides. The 1/2 inch plywood has structural strength and doesn't sag like the plastic covered jute. I hold the tire in place on the passenger side of the trunk up against the back seat using gravity and stacked glued together wooden shims with velcro hook that keeps it in place on the jute. I removed the factory supplied tire inflation kit and I keep a tool box, a torque wrench and a 1.5 ton Harbor Freight tools Aluminum Racing floor jack, and a spare set of belts and belt removal tool in the place where the kit used to be.

So far the shims have worked pretty well holding the tire in place. If they didn't, I could always drill a hole through the plywood and run a 6 inch long Carriage bolt up from the bottom and through a wheel lug nut hole and hold the spare down using a wing nut and over size washer.
ONEZ ST likes this.

Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I didn't think they had TPMS in 2004, but I guess I must be wrong.
TPMS was an option from Ford, at least on my 2004 Explorer, but in 2009, TPMS was mandated by the Feds on all new cars sold here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page