2020 GT500 Price, Details, and Discussion - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Its all in the wording. Notice I cap'd the word DENSE because Ford is word-smithing. When comparing HP & Torque per liter, Ford packs more into the 5.2 than FCA does the 6.2. But overall FCA has more power - - and more weight.

So when you consider the Challenger is about 600+ lbs heavier than the Mustang, the weight-to-HP & Torque factor takes a little shift. I think Ford has a slight edge overall in that department but Ford for some reason wont release the true apple to apple comparison which is its performance numbers. I have little doubt that the GT500 will out-handle the Red Eye. But still, the ratios are not all that far off and it will come down to driver skill.

Having a Mustang bolted to a R2300, and the Scat Pack with its 485 hp and 475 torque, the performance and handling of both cars are awesome.

Maybe I'm complicating things because I could sit in a Yugo and find something thrilling about it. I'm not a super talent on the course so I know both the GT500 and R.E. exceed my skill level but I certainly would savor a run around the track in each of them.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member

Garage
I think it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out regardless of all the hype and creative word use.

Chevy is on the verge of releasing a mid-engine Vette as they're making plans to scrap the Camaro (again), FCA is pretty much the king of numbers right now and will stuff a supercharged Hemi into just about anything (hello Trackhawk), and Ford is increasing its ST line of vehicles.

The fact that Ford is giving everyone a run for their money using just 5.0 and 5.2 liters is impressive in and of itself. I agree that keeping so much mystery around the HP and TQ numbers and not having at least 800 is a bit of a letdown, but the GT350 and R models are holding their own nicely.

The prices all of this power and exclusivity though are starting to inch into territory shared with lower trim packages of Porsche, AMG, Jaguar and Aston Martin. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have ever envisioned a Ford, Dodge or Chevy competing in that range of vehicles.

As far as PR departments go, none can be as bad as Chevy's "Real People Not Actors" nonsense.

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post

So when you consider the Challenger is about 600+ lbs heavier than the Mustang, the weight-to-HP & Torque factor takes a little shift.
Has the weight of the GT500 been published? I wouldn't be surprised if it tops 4000lbs.

Dave

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Overall, it's all good, I am certainly enjoying the "new pony car wars" since I was just a little too young the first time around. I'd love to buy a GT500, and would probably opt for that over most of the others, if I had the cash. I took a quick look at Porsche, and their lowest price entry is about $70K and it's a completely different animal.

But realistically, my hope and wish is, that the GT500 release causes a sell-off of GT350's and the prices come way down! I know, not realistic, but I can dream . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post

...But realistically, my hope and wish is, that the GT500 release causes a sell-off of GT350's and the prices come way down! I know, not realistic, but I can dream . . .
You and I are thinking alike right here. I am sure hoping people dump the GT350 and GT350R like they dumped the Boss 302 when the GT350 and GT350R came out. I picked a Boss 302 up during all that and would gladly pick up a GT350 or GT350R during a sell off. I think this time around the sell off might be paired with a economy downturn which might further drive the price down. I would love to own a GT350 or GT350R, but just can't justify 40K+ for a used car almost out of warranty. They aren't holding value all that well as it is honestly as 2016's are starting to fall under 40K and 2017's are hovering around 40-44K I have seen in the past few months. NEW leftover 2018's best I have found was 56K pre all the taxes and fees. If I could get a 2019 optioned out GT350 for under 60K OTD I might just convince myself to make the wife mad and pull the trigger. haha

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Well over at https://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ml#post9239183 we see a salesperson at a dealer asking 25K over MSRP for a base model so that answers the question of what this could look like markup and OTD price wise. I sure hope it is an outlier and dealers sell these at 5K or less over MSRP as this is a super expensive car without a markup, but if not I will be left dreaming because I know I can't justify 100K for a Mustang. After I sold my Boss 302 I struggled justifying 42K on a 49K GT and actually didn't end up buying and walked away and ended up in a non mustang car for the time being.

(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
Has the weight of the GT500 been published? I wouldn't be surprised if it tops 4000lbs.

Dave

Hard to say what the actual weight is because is hasn't been published to my knowledge. But it comes standard with composite hood & front fenders. Can be ordered with rear seat delete. And can be ordered with carbon track pac which among other goodies has carbon fiber rear wing and carbon fiber wrapped wheels.

Fords only counter-punch to cars with more power is a diet plan.

GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

My 2014 GT500 hasn't even turned 17,000 miles yet. I drove it today, and I still like it a lot! I did not pay an ADM for it. I have told this story before: I was looking for a 2013 GT500 and dealers wanted between $15,000-20,0000 above the sticker. So I ordered my 2014 for sticker price. Being patient is an admirable quality...which most of us don't have including me at times.

$100,000 for a GT500? I wouldn't pay for it. The other issue is that there is no manual option. So, marketing is for those who either don't mind having the automatic, or Ford is bending to those who want a performance car and not have to actually know how to drive one. I'm not sure what they are thinking. Many younger drivers, but not here on AFM, are not interested in performance cars like this 2020 GT500 in the bigger scheme of things. And the roads are so bad all over the country, that buying a performance car has lost it's intrigue in many sections of the county. Here in Western MA, the roads still suck after they did their usual mediocre job of patch repair. I seem to be one of the few people here who actually drives a car each day. My daily driver is a 2016 Fusion and I drive through a sea of SUV's. After playing golf yesterday, I appeared to have one of the few cars in the parking lot, the others were pickup trucks and SUV's.

We shall see if the $25,000 markup on the 2020 holds up.

Pete

2014 Shelby GT500:Delivered 4/3/13, Black/Black stripes/Black interior, SVT Track Package, SVT Performance Package, JLT Oil Seperator, FRPP Resonator Delete, Syntha Max blue air filter, Revan Racing shifter bushing, Michelin PSS tires, Lloyd GT500 mats, and yes the stock Shelby seats.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grimaldi View Post
My 2014 GT500 hasn't even turned 17,000 miles yet. I drove it today, and I still like it a lot! I did not pay an ADM for it. I have told this story before: I was looking for a 2013 GT500 and dealers wanted between $15,000-20,0000 above the sticker. So I ordered my 2014 for sticker price. Being patient is an admirable quality...which most of us don't have including me at times.

$100,000 for a GT500? I wouldn't pay for it. The other issue is that there is no manual option. So, marketing is for those who either don't mind having the automatic, or Ford is bending to those who want a performance car and not have to actually know how to drive one. I'm not sure what they are thinking. Many younger drivers, but not here on AFM, are not interested in performance cars like this 2020 GT500 in the bigger scheme of things. And the roads are so bad all over the country, that buying a performance car has lost it's intrigue in many sections of the county. Here in Western MA, the roads still suck after they did their usual mediocre job of patch repair. I seem to be one of the few people here who actually drives a car each day. My daily driver is a 2016 Fusion and I drive through a sea of SUV's. After playing golf yesterday, I appeared to have one of the few cars in the parking lot, the others were pickup trucks and SUV's.

We shall see if the $25,000 markup on the 2020 holds up.

Pete
Right there with yah. I think a couple months in once the hype of being a early buyer dies off these GT500's will start collecting dust and they will be begging people to buy them. Looking around there are A LOT of NEW 2018 GT350's sitting on lots thousands off MSRP. I have seen a few 2019's start heading down that road already as well. I am watching with an open eye as when the price gets low enough I just might have to pull the trigger on one. Really want a 2019 with updates.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If everyone thinks the 2020 GT500 will be priced over the moon, you are probably correct. But remember its designed and being marketed to be a step up from the GT350 which starts at $59,140, or the GT350R starting at $67,135, or $71,279 if its nicely optioned.

Whatever the final MSRP will be for the 2020 GT500, we should expect dealers to add an excessive markup.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Dang the base model Corvette not only unlike Ford released all the details about the mid engine Vette, but the numbers they released are highly impressive considering the base model will be not only faster than the GT500, but much cheaper. Like Ford though it is a little disappointing it is only offered in auto...

Whats everybody's thoughts and options on the two being compared?

I must say and I hate to say it, but I think the "bang for buck" award leaves the Mustang and is awarded to the Vette. I am unsure how much I like the looks for what is supposed to be an American car as it looks to much like a exotic. I like that look just not so much on an American icon car. So the looks award stays with the Mustang for sure.

PONY Member

If i was in the market for a $60k+ car the Corvette would get my money over any Mustang. I would even chose a C7 over a GT350 or GT500.

Dave
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The C8 hands down winner.

For entry level performance the Mustang is still my fav

Rookie

A 2016-17 GT w/ PP, is best bang for the buck. IMHO
PONY Member

For the $100,000 they are really going to cost there are so many better, higher quality, and faster options. That said, I could never spend that much on a freaking car no matter how much $$ i had.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page