2020 GT500 Price, Details, and Discussion - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
2020 GT500 Price, Details, and Discussion

Well now that FINALLY all the details are out like HP/TQ and MSRP lets discuss.

My first thoughts are man Mustangs are getting expensive. GT500's used to have a MSRP under 55K and now a fully optioned GT can have a MSRP of that or more. Just crazy... haha The new GT500 MSRP coming in at base price just under 74K MSRP is just crazy. If you add a few options like the track pack and etc you are pushing 100K or over. I might piss a few people off with this next statement, but 100K is just way to much for any Mustang or really any Ford. I might consider 100K for a Ford GT as it is honestly up there in the supercar area, but a Mustang come on no way... I think Ford doing a very limited run on the GT500 is smart as creating the exclusivity and rarity might be the only thing to help them sell any of these cars at this price and not to mention I am sure dealers will try to charge a insane ADM on top of the MSRP. I just don't see this going well, but time will tell. Am I alone here or what is everyones thoughts?

Also what are peoples thoughts on the HP/TQ? Happy with it or surprised they didn't try to compete with Redeye, or Demon? I am also shocked after all the fuss that they didn't come out or announce a manual transmission option yet. I keep hearing rumors of that is in the works, but nothing official.

Well I look forward to discussing and hearing others thoughts. Is anybody on here planning on buying one?

my89foxbody likes this.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
my89foxbody's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dracut
Posts: 1,305
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Well now that FINALLY all the details are out like HP/TQ and MSRP lets discuss.

My first thoughts are man Mustangs are getting expensive. GT500's used to have a MSRP under 55K and now a fully optioned GT can have a MSRP of that or more. Just crazy... haha The new GT500 MSRP coming in at base price just under 74K MSRP is just crazy. If you add a few options like the track pack and etc you are pushing 100K or over. I might piss a few people off with this next statement, but 100K is just way to much for any Mustang or really any Ford. I might consider 100K for a Ford GT as it is honestly up there in the supercar area, but a Mustang come on no way... I think Ford doing a very limited run on the GT500 is smart as creating the exclusivity and rarity might be the only thing to help them sell any of these cars at this price and not to mention I am sure dealers will try to charge a insane ADM on top of the MSRP. I just don't see this going well, but time will tell. Am I alone here or what is everyones thoughts?

Also what are peoples thoughts on the HP/TQ? Happy with it or surprised they didn't try to compete with Redeye, or Demon? I am also shocked after all the fuss that they didn't come out or announce a manual transmission option yet. I keep hearing rumors of that is in the works, but nothing official.

Well I look forward to discussing and hearing others thoughts. Is anybody on here planning on buying one?


No not alone on this one, at the end of the day it's a car, will it hold value? I'm sure if you don't drive it and at that price why wouldn't you drive it unless you have massive amounts of money and collect cars like Jay Leno



2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
my89foxbody is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by my89foxbody View Post
No not alone on this one, at the end of the day it's a car, will it hold value? I'm sure if you don't drive it and at that price why wouldn't you drive it unless you have massive amounts of money and collect cars like Jay Leno
Glad I am not alone. Yeah I never really understand why people buy cars just to look at, but then again if you have the money collecting cars is like collecting anything else I supposed so it makes sense when thought about that way. With that said I don't care what amount of money I have I will always drive and enjoy what I buy.

I think it will hold decent value like the rest of the Shelbys seem to do if it gets the same type following. This is what I am not sure on since they went auto only it might be a different buyer. Also with the price nearly double or more of the previous model GT500 I am wondering if that will cause them to be catering to new clients vs the old GT500 buyers were back on 2014 and prior. 50K for a supped up sports car is one thing that enthusiasts might be willing to stretch for, but 75-100K+ is something that might be out of reach for majority of the Mustang following I wonder. I mean at 100K it comes down to do I buy a house that provides me with a place to live or even rental income or a car? haha I also think this price range puts them in the comparison with brands that have long been in this range like Porsche and the like. I think if I had 100K to drop it would be hard to choose a Mustang over a nice Porsche, right?

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 8,825
           
I think there are enough people out there with more money than they know what do to with, that they will sell out quickly, regardless of price. And those folks don't really care about resale anyway.

It does sound like an awesome car in many ways, but for me it is just as out-of-reach as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

(On a side note, I am not sure exactly who this economy is NOT working for, I guess the Democrats standard is that everyone should be able to buy a GT500, a regular Mustang is not good enough . . . sorry, wrong forum, that is a topic for the Hot zone, LOL)
kenv and msirach like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
my89foxbody's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Dracut
Posts: 1,305
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I think there are enough people out there with more money than they know what do to with, that they will sell out quickly, regardless of price. And those folks don't really care about resale anyway.

It does sound like an awesome car in many ways, but for me it is just as out-of-reach as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

(On a side note, I am not sure exactly who this economy is NOT working for, I guess the Democrats standard is that everyone should be able to buy a GT500, a regular Mustang is not good enough . . . sorry, wrong forum, that is a topic for the Hot zone, LOL)
lol an Obama GT500


2014 GT Premium, Track Pack, Barton shifter, Borla S-type exhaust, Resonator delete, 3.73 gears, Airaid C.A.I., 93 Race Tune, JLT Oil Separator
my89foxbody is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
If this thread is any indication the interest level in the new GT500 Ford is up crap creek without a paddle because any thread I have done on the GT500 over the past few months is super fast to die out with low interest and posts...

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
JBert's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 8,825
           
^ LOL yeah maybe so . . . or maybe it is an indicator of the waning popularity of this forum . . .

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
JBert is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019 Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
I think there are enough people out there with more money than they know what do to with, that they will sell out quickly, regardless of price. And those folks don't really care about resale anyway.

It does sound like an awesome car in many ways, but for me it is just as out-of-reach as a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

(On a side note, I am not sure exactly who this economy is NOT working for, I guess the Democrats standard is that everyone should be able to buy a GT500, a regular Mustang is not good enough . . . sorry, wrong forum, that is a topic for the Hot zone, LOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
^ LOL yeah maybe so . . . or maybe it is an indicator of the waning popularity of this forum . . .
Hmmmm is the overall membership and posts on the decline? I am not around daily like I used to be as I am currently without a Mustang in my garage so I don't stop by as often as I should these days.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
ONEZ ST's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Iowa Park
Posts: 6,691
           
My jealous opinion is the 2020 GT500 is for the few willing to overspend for a Mustang. (Thought Bubble: Wish it was me)

It's one sweet looking ride with gargantuan rotors for track use.

However, at that price range I would rather buckle a Z06 3LZ around me.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
ONEZ ST is offline  
SHELBY GT 500 Member
5.0L Member
 
85andstillalive's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 10,090
   
Garage
I like it and if I had the cash on hand, I'd go for it. It probably wouldn't hold its value as I would most definitely drive the heck out of it.

If I had A LOT of cash on hand, I would do what I've done with my Hot Wheels for years in that I would buy one to play with and one to keep in the package for collecting.

I've seen a picture showing it may be offered with a 7sp Tremec, but it also showed that it was Ford Canada.

AND Ford Performance just released a video of it doing the hill climb at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.


ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
85andstillalive is online now  
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
ONEZ ST's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Iowa Park
Posts: 6,691
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLife View Post
Hmmmm is the overall membership and posts on the decline? I am not around daily like I used to be as I am currently without a Mustang in my garage so I don't stop by as often as I should these days.
I know this is off topic but want to try and answer your observation about membership.

Activity has waned since the peak S197 time frame. And there are other Mustang Forums with the equivalent activity which tends to bleed membership. But I think the drop in activity level is related to migration to other brands. No secret I have a 4 door Charger scat pack, and at 485 hp and 475 torque it is every bit as exciting to drive as my Mustang. As you can see by the sales numbers below, the Charger is outselling the Mustang so far this year. And Camaro sales are starting to lag which probably answers why I couldn't find sales data for them for April and May.

The Challenger which most of us Mustang owners view as the competition along with the Camaro, lags Mustang in sales, but when the Challenger sales are combined with the Charger sales in the R/T 5.7L, Scat 6.4L, and Hellcat 6.2L models it all makes a formidable sales challenge for Mustang which also speaks to forum membership across all Mustang Forums.


MUSTANG: 75,842 (2018). 32,203 (2019 thru May)

CAMARO: 50,963 (2018). 11,792 (2019 thru March)

CHALLENGER: 66,716 (2018). 23,601 (2019 thru May)

CHARGER: 80,226 (2018). 36,012 (2019 thru May)

What Ford is doing, or plans to do to increase sales is a mystery to me.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
ONEZ ST is offline  
PONY Member
 
dgc333's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 424
 
FWIW, I was a Barrett Jackson in CT a couple of weeks ago. Ford had a big display with two GT500s and a GT350. There was very little traffic looking at the either, much more buzzing around the Ranger. Plus Rouch was across the aisle and there was much more traffic around the Rouch Raptor. Over in the Dodge display there was a lot of traffic around the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. Over in Chevy all the traffic was checking out the crate motors and accessories.

Dave
dgc333 is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
This all really isn't shocking as performance cars seem to be pricing themselves out of their current markets really. Can't speak much for the other brands as the time I have spent in some of them I just didn't care for the large speedboat feel I got in the Camaro and Challenger. Mustangs though I mean 75K base model GT500 or roughly over 90K for popular optioned GT500 is just insane! I mean hell a GT Premium optioned with popular options pushes a MSRP of 50K+, but 8K off sticker is still 42K which used to be what GT500's sold for back 10 years ago. haha I mean inflation hasn't been that bad to cause prices to be this high... haha The prices are slowly creeping into exotic range and I gotta tell you if there is a NEW Mustang and a NEW Porsche close in price the no brainer is to go for the Porsche. haha I think these American cars need to bring prices back down. Even if they don't choose to they will be soon coming down to earth as brining only history and not political talk into this thread again a recession is bound to happen soon and that will bring prices down as demand for performance cars will take a big hit for a while. I have been saying they likely took way to long for the GT500 to go on sale as they are going to have a short time before the economy is bound to take a turn as we are historically speaking way overdue for a correction.

Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
ONEZ ST's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Iowa Park
Posts: 6,691
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
FWIW, I was a Barrett Jackson in CT a couple of weeks ago. Ford had a big display with two GT500s and a GT350. There was very little traffic looking at the either, much more buzzing around the Ranger. Plus Rouch was across the aisle and there was much more traffic around the Rouch Raptor. Over in the Dodge display there was a lot of traffic around the Challenger and Charger Hellcats. Over in Chevy all the traffic was checking out the crate motors and accessories.

Dave
Some of that traffic at the FCA displays might have been getting info on the Hellcat Redeye. While Ford is declaring the 2020 GT500 at 760 hp and 625 torque the most powerful HP & Torque DENSE production supercharged engine in the world, the mob at the FCA display is looking at info on the more powerful 797 hp and 707 torque production Hellcat Redeye with a declared 3.4 0-60, 10.8 quarter and 203 top speed - - - which is as overpriced as the GT500 in my opinion.

Blue Ovals PR department is not helping Ford, by withholding performance numbers on the GT500.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
ONEZ ST is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
SENIOR AFM MEMBER
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member
 
MustangLife's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,259
             
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Some of that traffic at the FCA displays might have been getting info on the Hellcat Redeye. While Ford is declaring the 2020 GT500 at 760 hp and 625 torque the most powerful HP & Torque DENSE production supercharged engine in the world, the mob at the FCA display is looking at info on the more powerful 797 hp and 707 torque production Hellcat Redeye with a declared 3.4 0-60, 10.8 quarter and 203 top speed - - - which is as overpriced as the GT500 in my opinion.

Blue Ovals <acronym title="Page Ranking">PR</acronym> department is not helping Ford, by withholding performance numbers on the GT500.

Yeah I am kinda shocked Ford claimed the GT500 would be the most powerful and all the other hype around it like venom kills demons and all that nonsense only to come out under cars already out. I mean Dodge didn't even have to redevelop a car to beat them. Why take years to develop and drag people along with all these secrets only to announce a less powerful car...? I think they are for sure setting themselves up for failure. I think and I have said it before keeping the production limited like it sounds like they plan to do might be the real saving grace for them honestly as people with loads of money eat up the exclusivity factor and overpay for it all the time...


Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9.)
2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT (I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
MustangLife is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1