Backup Camera - Ford Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
harveyshepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 439
 
Backup Camera

My backup camera is going weird on me intermittently. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes there are all kinds of wavy lines and you can hardly see anything. The screen for the radio is perfect so I'm assuming it's in the camera somewhere - lose wire?

I'm sure Ford would love to charge me a bundle to fix it but I'm looking for suggestions first? Any help would be appreciated.


2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
harveyshepherd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
 
Travis98146's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2016
Location: Seattle
Posts: 930
 
Garage
Hopefully, that would be covered on the warranty, if you're the original owner or got the extended warranty.

Travis98146 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
 
Kraig1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 120
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
My backup camera is going weird on me intermittently. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes there are all kinds of wavy lines and you can hardly see anything. The screen for the radio is perfect so I'm assuming it's in the camera somewhere - lose wire?

I'm sure Ford would love to charge me a bundle to fix it but I'm looking for suggestions first? Any help would be appreciated.

The first place I would check is the wire harness in the trunk. It runs along the passenger side trunk hinge. Wires might have broken inside the harness next to the trunk hinge where the harness makes a bend due to repeated opening and closing of the trunk over time.


I found a video on YouTube that shows what I'm talking about.




2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.

Last edited by Kraig1957; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:28 AM. Reason: Added YouTube video
Kraig1957 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
harveyshepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 439
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
The first place I would check is the wire harness in the trunk. It runs along the passenger side trunk hinge. Wires might have broken inside the harness next to the trunk hinge where the harness makes a bend due to repeated opening and closing of the trunk over time.


I found a video on YouTube that shows what I'm talking about.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4XllG17-p0
Thanks for the effort. I'm reluctant to cut into my wiring harness since my car doesn't exhibit any of the other symptoms referenced in the video. I've got a friend that has a car audio joint and deals with this type of stuff - I'll see what he has to say.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
harveyshepherd is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
 
Kraig1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 120
 
Garage
You could also check the wire harness without cutting into it first.


For an automatic transmission car.



Chock the wheels, set the parking brake and put the car in full accessory mode by pressing the start button without depressing the brake pedal.



With the car in full accessory mode, pop the trunk, depress the brake pedal without pressing the start button (because you want the engine off), put the car in reverse to turn on the camera.



Get out of the car and go back and giggle the harness along the passenger trunk hinge. Look through the passenger side window at the backup screen while giggling the wire harness. if the image on the screen from the camera changes, you know that is where the problem is.


2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Kraig1957 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
harveyshepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 439
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
You could also check the wire harness without cutting into it first.


For an automatic transmission car.



Chock the wheels, set the parking brake and put the car in full accessory mode by pressing the start button without depressing the brake pedal.



With the car in full accessory mode, pop the trunk, depress the brake pedal without pressing the start button (because you want the engine off), put the car in reverse to turn on the camera.



Get out of the car and go back and giggle the harness along the passenger trunk hinge. Look through the passenger side window at the backup screen while giggling the wire harness. if the image on the screen from the camera changes, you know that is where the problem is.

You are full of good ideas - I'll give it a try.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
harveyshepherd is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
harveyshepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 439
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
You could also check the wire harness without cutting into it first.


For an automatic transmission car.



Chock the wheels, set the parking brake and put the car in full accessory mode by pressing the start button without depressing the brake pedal.



With the car in full accessory mode, pop the trunk, depress the brake pedal without pressing the start button (because you want the engine off), put the car in reverse to turn on the camera.



Get out of the car and go back and giggle the harness along the passenger trunk hinge. Look through the passenger side window at the backup screen while giggling the wire harness. if the image on the screen from the camera changes, you know that is where the problem is.
Great idea however no amount of cable wiggling had any effect on the camera display (which of course today is working perfectly). Your post did teach me a bunch of stuff I didn't realize I could do with the car (turn on the accessories with the car off, activate the backup camera, etc.) so thank you for that. I'll drop by my buddy's shop today and see if he has any ideas before I cave to the dealership whipping.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
harveyshepherd is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Apprentice
 
Kraig1957's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: San Joaquin Valley
Posts: 120
 
Garage
At least you know where the problem isn't, yet. Just remember to turn full accessory mode off. It is toggled on and off by pressing the start/stop button without using the brake pedal. You can tell when it is off when the light in the button stops blinking.


2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Kraig1957 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member
 
harveyshepherd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 439
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
At least you know where the problem isn't, yet. Just remember to turn full accessory mode off. It is toggled on and off by pressing the start/stop button without using the brake pedal. You can tell when it is off when the light in the button stops blinking.
Unfortunately my buddy only works on after market equipment so it looks like a trip to the stealership. My new ride will be here around 10/15 and I don't want to sell this one with something funky - the rest of the car is cherry. Thanks for your input.

2016 GT/CS - Axle Back Flowmasters - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012)
harveyshepherd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1