Ford Mustang Forum banner

10 Speed Trans Thoughts?

5K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Nelsoncp21 
#1 ·
Hey Guys and Girls! So, I'm beating myself up a bit about my purchase. I am just not sure about this 10 speed automatic transmission. Sometimes I feel like it shifts a bit harder than it should, however, it could possibly be in my head. Sometimes, I don't feel like it's shifting when it should. Again, could be in my head. I'm just not sure. But I'm beating myself up for buying the car no matter how much I love it!

(We did eat a 1994-1996 Cobra alive over the weekend. He was def not running stock, and all I have is resonator deletes, but he never did get a nose ahead. I guess that's a plus, even though it was an older car!:smile:)

Thoughts about this tranny from those of you familiar with it?

#2 ·
Well you haven't said if it's a PP car or if it has the drive options ie sport mode, drag mode etc.

I personally have a 2019 5.0 PP A10 car and love it. It shifts hard when it's warming up but after that it's fine. I especially like the rev matching when it downshifts. These things are a beast and no manual is going to out shift it.

I put mine in sport mode and the shifter in S and have a blast.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tenbrooks
#4 ·
Sorry for the delay. So, I keep it in regular mode as it's my every day driver. Yes, sport mode and all that other stuff is fun, but it's not practical for every day. Not for me, anyway. So, now the transmission needs to be reflashed because it's lurching into drive from park, AGAIN. I've just been told it's going to be $115 to do that, even though it's a known problem. Ford has seriously screwed up! And I'm beyond livid!

#5 ·
Is it still under warranty? If so it shouldn't cost anything if it's not tuned. If it's tuned, put it back to stock and it still shouldn't cost a thing.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Is it still under warranty? If so it shouldn't cost anything . . .
Unless the OP drives about 1,000 miles per day, I don't see how it could possibly NOT be under warranty . . . dealer should be addressing this, under warranty, for sure . . .

that is, assuming it does NOT have a custom aftermarket tune that altered the shifting (like you already mentioned) -- if it does have a custom tune, then that is the obvious culprit

. . . . So, now the transmission needs to be reflashed because it's lurching into drive from park, AGAIN. I've just been told it's going to be $115 to do that, even though it's a known problem. Ford has seriously screwed up! And I'm beyond livid!
WHO says the transmission needs to be reflashed; who is quoting you $115 to do that; and if it is a Ford dealer, why are they telling you it is NOT covered under warranty?

how many miles are on the car?

#13 ·
Okay, let me see if I can address everyone.

NOTE: I have since done more research and found that it is still covered under the powertrain. So, before it hits 60k miles, I'll just get rid of it and get another one or drive the GT500 sitting in the garage not being driven. Which is what I should have done to start with.

The car is completely stock with the exception of resonator deletes.

I have spoken with numerous dealerships. I spoke with the dealership I bought it from as well as my local, trusted dealership who I've been dealing with for years. I have an awesome service rep there. When I was told it wasn't going to be covered under warranty, I was speaking with another young man who I have since found out is very new. When I actually got in touch with the rep I've been dealing with for a while, he straightened it out.

Now, this is NOT an unknown problem. If you look, there are a lot of people having this issue. I found at least 20 forum entries on other mustang sites stating the same issues I'm having. I realize in the grand scheme of things, 20 entries is nothing, but who knows how many others are out there. The car lurches, almost violently, from park or reverse to drive. I've already been through this once with it so I know the reflash is what it needs. My service rep agrees. It's not a 5 minute job. The last time I had it done it took about 45 minutes. From what I have read about it, it's just like any other computer, nothing happens quickly.

The car has 36k miles on it. It's out of warranty with the exception of the powertrain.

I did not initiate the challenge with the Cobra, HE did, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to accept the challenge. So I guess I'm an a$$hole, and I'm okay with that.

So, all in all, this is going to work out. Like I said, I'll keep it until it gets close to 60k, then move on. It's just an inconvenience to have to get it to the dealership, and find another car to drive, etc.. Right now the GT500 is in pieces because my husband decided to do a full detail, and is now working 70 or 80 hours a week so hasn't had time to finish it up. :(

Thanks everyone for your responses. Like I said, it looks like it's all going to work out now.

#14 ·
from my understanding the car has a computer that learns ow you drive, mine was rough at first (2019 s550) but now is shifting like butter since it has had time to learn my driving style. Im not sure how long you have owned it, but mine took about 800 miles to start shifting smoother. goodluck

#15 ·
It absolutely does learn your style of driving. I’ve had 3 cars with that feature now. 2015 Jeep Cherokee and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee also. It was hard to get used to for all of them. And if my husband drives it, the poor car has no clue what’s going on.

I’m not concerned about the shifting. I expect that. But putting the car in drive from reverse or park sometimes feels like you’ve just run over a speed bump. It’s “lurches” or “lunges”. It’s hard to explain but you’ll know if you feel it.

#19 ·
Quick update.... It was reflashed Saturday while having the oil changed. There WAS in fact an update that needed to be done. So now I'm questioning why my car behaves this way when there is an update that needs to be done, while most others don't? How do the updates work? Do only certain cars need the updates? How am I supposed to know there is an update?

I went through this same type thing with my Jeeps, but the Jeep transmissions never really felt "off", for lack of knowing how else to explain it. But I would take it in for an oil change or some routine maintenance, and they would tell me it need updates and they would just do them. HOWEVER, I was never asked to pay for the updates with those Jeeps.

Things that make you go, hmmmmmm.......

It's shifting into drive perfectly now. You can't feel it at all.

As a side note..... There is a 2016 Roush Warrior edition sitting on the lot at the dealer I take my car to for maintenance. Only has 6k miles. $45,900..... I'm thinking about it, but I don't know how I feel about it being a daily driver. I feel like too many miles will hurt the value.

#20 ·
hmmmmmm . . . I really don't know, but I think the updates are like TSB's (Technical Service Bullitins) -- they issue them and then they sit dormant and waiting; they will not tell you that there is one (because it increases their costs) but if your car has a related symptom or if you ask/complain they will do it

about the Roush Warrior -- I am not familiar with those; what does it include? I wouldn't worry too much about the value, all of these cars will depreciate pretty quickly and I surely would not buy one as an "investment" -- better to buy it as a toy and enjoy the heck out of it (meaning: drive it) to get your money's worth

Reactions: my89foxbody
#21 ·
I've had my base model 2019 eco for 4 months now and almost 8k miles on it. I've never experienced the lunging feeling that the OP experienced. I did have it bang into reverse a few times but not recently. My son who's a Ford mechanic said that was the trans learning my driving. Hasn't done it in the past month but then again I just replaced the rear diff and put 3.73's in plus the tune I needed after doing that so that could also be why it stopped.
I will say though that under normal driving conditions the trans is not smooth at all. It's very inconsistent and almost feels jumpy like it doesn't know when to shift or not shift more so at slower speeds or when just at a casual cruise on traffic on the highway. Since I upgraded the gears that feeling had significantly magnified. However when I get on it this trans performs beautiful.
So for me personally I feel like this trans is like a sour patch kid. It annoys the crap out of me until I unlock the beast and then it's my best friend 🤯

#22 ·
. . . I just replaced the rear diff and put 3.73's in plus the tune I needed after doing that so that could also be why it stopped. . . . . under normal driving conditions the <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> is not smooth at all. It's very inconsistent and almost feels jumpy like it doesn't know when to shift or not shift more so at slower speeds or when just at a casual cruise on traffic . . . Since I upgraded the gears that feeling had significantly magnified. . . .
A bigger number is not always "better" -- I am not sure that the switch to 3.73 rear ratio is really an "upgrade" ; plus the tune almost surely has something to do with it.

The purpose of a transmission and rear end gears is to match the RPM and torque output of the engine to the needs of the driver and car. With a ten speed transmission, the transmission already has tons of options to choose from to do this. If it senses you need more torque, it can downshift to a lower gear. The 3.73 gears basically shift all the gears "lower" which probably makes first (and maybe second?) gear practically useless and might actually reduce the practical choices that the transmission has available to use.

What you are experiencing is called "hunting" -- the transmission is trying to find the "right" gear and it is having trouble picking one. I don't know if the "adaptive learning" will figure this out over time. When you are driving under light throttle, the transmission has more gears to choose from and there is no clear choice; it could use 3rd or 4th or maybe even 5th in a given situation with very little difference, and the 3.73 gears might make this even "worse."

When you get on it, the choice becomes more clear -- it holds a gear until redline (or close to it) and then shifts to the next gear; it doesn't have to "wonder' about which gear to use.

Reactions: my89foxbody
#23 ·
I figured there new gears had a lot to do with it but like I said the car has always done it even with the 3.15's that were in it it's just much worse now. I'm starting to get used to it though and I'm getting anxious to now get the next step done which is intercooler, intake, exhaust, BoV and Dyno hopefully after the first of the year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.