10 Speed <acronym title="transmission">Trans</acronym> Thoughts? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MustangLove228

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
10 Speed Trans Thoughts?

Hey Guys and Girls! So, I'm beating myself up a bit about my purchase. I am just not sure about this 10 speed automatic transmission. Sometimes I feel like it shifts a bit harder than it should, however, it could possibly be in my head. Sometimes, I don't feel like it's shifting when it should. Again, could be in my head. I'm just not sure. But I'm beating myself up for buying the car no matter how much I love it!

(We did eat a 1994-1996 Cobra alive over the weekend. He was def not running stock, and all I have is resonator deletes, but he never did get a nose ahead. I guess that's a plus, even though it was an older car!)

Thoughts about this tranny from those of you familiar with it?

Life is too short to drive boring cars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
Rookie
4.6L Member

Garage
Well you haven't said if it's a PP car or if it has the drive options ie sport mode, drag mode etc.

I personally have a 2019 5.0 PP A10 car and love it. It shifts hard when it's warming up but after that it's fine. I especially like the rev matching when it downshifts. These things are a beast and no manual is going to out shift it.

I put mine in sport mode and the shifter in S and have a blast.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2013 Taurus SHO PP LMS V11 Tune, 2006 F150 Harley-Davidson, 2003 Mustang GT Convertible, 1984 Bronco II. And a 1997 Jeep GC, 5.2 Grocery getter and Doberman hauler.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Garage
I love the 10r80. Drag mode is pleasantly violent and S+ is great for tearing up the streets. It took getting used to but I'm used to it now.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Sorry for the delay. So, I keep it in regular mode as it's my every day driver. Yes, sport mode and all that other stuff is fun, but it's not practical for every day. Not for me, anyway. So, now the transmission needs to be reflashed because it's lurching into drive from park, AGAIN. I've just been told it's going to be $115 to do that, even though it's a known problem. Ford has seriously screwed up! And I'm beyond livid!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
Rookie
4.6L Member

Garage
Is it still under warranty? If so it shouldn't cost anything if it's not tuned. If it's tuned, put it back to stock and it still shouldn't cost a thing.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

2013 Taurus SHO PP LMS V11 Tune, 2006 F150 Harley-Davidson, 2003 Mustang GT Convertible, 1984 Bronco II. And a 1997 Jeep GC, 5.2 Grocery getter and Doberman hauler.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLove228 View Post
Sorry for the delay. So, I keep it in regular mode as it's my every day driver. Yes, sport mode and all that other stuff is fun, but it's not practical for every day. Not for me, anyway. So, now the transmission needs to be reflashed because it's lurching into drive from park, AGAIN. I've just been told it's going to be $115 to do that, even though it's a known problem. Ford has seriously screwed up! And I'm beyond livid!

that's a safety issue and you shouldn't pay jack for that!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
I agree. I'm going to do some research and reach out on here as well to see if anyone else has run into this. I'll trade it and boycott Ford if I have to pay for it. I hate it, but it's not right.

PONY Member

For performance it’s very hard to beat. They are not as strong as the 6r80 so you have to keep that in mind. if you’re gonna go auto then it’s definitely somewhere around the top of my list
PONY Member

Have you gone down and spoke with your dealership. I don’t see any dealers charging for a transmission reflash. Only takes 5mins
PONY Member

Picking on a 90s cobra is like arm wrestling a 10 year old. If you lose you look stupid and if you win you look like a a$$ whole. So a bad idea no matter the outcome
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 14 Hours Ago
BOSS Member

Garage
I said it before and I'll say it again, I love this 10r80.

Shadow Black 2018 GT 10R80-355
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2 Hours Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco2fan View Post
Is it still under warranty? If so it shouldn't cost anything . . .
Unless the OP drives about 1,000 miles per day, I don't see how it could possibly NOT be under warranty . . . dealer should be addressing this, under warranty, for sure . . .

that is, assuming it does NOT have a custom aftermarket tune that altered the shifting (like you already mentioned) -- if it does have a custom tune, then that is the obvious culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangLove228 View Post
. . . . So, now the transmission needs to be reflashed because it's lurching into drive from park, AGAIN. I've just been told it's going to be $115 to do that, even though it's a known problem. Ford has seriously screwed up! And I'm beyond livid!
WHO says the transmission needs to be reflashed; who is quoting you $115 to do that; and if it is a Ford dealer, why are they telling you it is NOT covered under warranty?

how many miles are on the car?

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Okay, let me see if I can address everyone.

NOTE: I have since done more research and found that it is still covered under the powertrain. So, before it hits 60k miles, I'll just get rid of it and get another one or drive the GT500 sitting in the garage not being driven. Which is what I should have done to start with.

The car is completely stock with the exception of resonator deletes.

I have spoken with numerous dealerships. I spoke with the dealership I bought it from as well as my local, trusted dealership who I've been dealing with for years. I have an awesome service rep there. When I was told it wasn't going to be covered under warranty, I was speaking with another young man who I have since found out is very new. When I actually got in touch with the rep I've been dealing with for a while, he straightened it out.

Now, this is NOT an unknown problem. If you look, there are a lot of people having this issue. I found at least 20 forum entries on other mustang sites stating the same issues I'm having. I realize in the grand scheme of things, 20 entries is nothing, but who knows how many others are out there. The car lurches, almost violently, from park or reverse to drive. I've already been through this once with it so I know the reflash is what it needs. My service rep agrees. It's not a 5 minute job. The last time I had it done it took about 45 minutes. From what I have read about it, it's just like any other computer, nothing happens quickly.

The car has 36k miles on it. It's out of warranty with the exception of the powertrain.

I did not initiate the challenge with the Cobra, HE did, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to accept the challenge. So I guess I'm an a$$hole, and I'm okay with that.

So, all in all, this is going to work out. Like I said, I'll keep it until it gets close to 60k, then move on. It's just an inconvenience to have to get it to the dealership, and find another car to drive, etc.. Right now the GT500 is in pieces because my husband decided to do a full detail, and is now working 70 or 80 hours a week so hasn't had time to finish it up.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Like I said, it looks like it's all going to work out now.
Bronco2fan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2018 , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page