Racing Aluminum lug nuts - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kraig1957
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Racing Aluminum lug nuts

Hello, quick question for information or comments. I purchased some forged aluminum tuner racing lug nuts and they say the torque spec for them is 50-55 ft lbs. Our mustang stock lug nut torque is like 150. Has anyone used these aftermarket lug nuts and is it safe at the lower torque range? I searched but could not find the answer. thanks for any feedback.

edit: they say stock is steel and these after market are forged aluminum that's why it has a lower torque range.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019
Apprentice

Garage
They probably have a different torque spec. not just because they are aluminum but also because they have a longer engagement length (more threads in contact with the studs than on a steel nut).

If you are still using steel studs, you might want to use an anti-seize compound on the stud threads to prevent galvanic corrosion between the dissimilar metals.

Rpinaiii likes this.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

hmmmm . . . this is a new one on me, I never heard of aluminum lug nuts before, and it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me

the aluminum can't take the higher torque value without stripping, that's why they have a lower torque spec . . . but the correct torque spec for the wheels is based on preload in the steel studs, and should not change for the studs and wheels

my 2010 has the earlier lug nuts and the torque spec is 105 if I remember correctly; I think the 2015+ cars use a fine thread stud and that's why the torque value is higher (higher torque needed to produce the same preload with fine threads versus course, if I remember correctly)

so anyway, I would not be comfortable using 1/3 of the recommended torque; that's probably barely more than finger tight (small exaggeration)
Rpinaiii likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
hmmmm . . . this is a new one on me, I never heard of aluminum lug nuts before, and it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me

the aluminum can't take the higher torque value without stripping, that's why they have a lower torque spec . . . but the correct torque spec for the wheels is based on preload in the steel studs, and should not change for the studs and wheels

my 2010 has the earlier lug nuts and the torque spec is 105 if I remember correctly; I think the 2015+ cars use a fine thread stud and that's why the torque value is higher (higher torque needed to produce the same preload with fine threads versus course, if I remember correctly)

so anyway, I would not be comfortable using 1/3 of the recommended torque; that's probably barely more than finger tight (small exaggeration)

The 2014 and earlier also used fine threads for lugs and studs. The studs were 7/16 fine thread and were torqued to 105ft/lbs. The 2015 and later studs were changed to 14mm metric fine thread. 14mm is .55 inches, the torque for that size steel stud is 150ft/lbs. I have traction control devices (Spike Spider Sport) that use a steel lug/stud adapter. When I traded in my 2010 GT for a 2016 GT I had to get new steel lug/stud adapters to use with my existing traction control devices with the 2016 GT.

Most of those racing lugs are made to be used for just one race, so they don't worry about the corrosion factor. I wouldn't want to use anything other than steel either. I don't think the weight savings would be noticed in a 460 hp engine.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for y'alls input. So I purchased the forged aluminum lug nuts for looks really. They are gunmetal which match my gunmetal wheels. I searched again and found 50/50 results, some do not feel comfortable with other than steel and others have used the aluminum for many years with no problems. I am going to try them out. I took the advice to use anti-sieze lubricant. I put a small amount on the stud threads. I torqued exactly to 55 lbs as recommended. The mustang isn't my daily, but i will continue to check the torque often. I'll let you all know of any problems. If I could find gunmetal steel lug nuts for after market wheels, I would use them of course...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page