Trunk Damage - Stupid Mistake - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Apprentice

Trunk Damage - Stupid Mistake

So I bought the Ford Performance trunk deck lid replacement (without the GT logo), for a cleaner look. Seemed like an easy mod - and it should have been. Well, the deck lid is held on by four bolts and clips, and those clips are particularly difficult to remove. I didn't have a plastic panel removal tool, so i wrapped a screwdriver in a microfiber towel and pried the clips loose. My main concern was keeping the screwdriver from scratching the paint, but, stupidly, did not consider the the possibility of denting the trunk. Now I'm left with about 15 small dents on the section of trunk that runs below the backup camera.

I hate even admitting I did this, but looking for suggestions on how or if it can be fixed. I've looked into dent removal tools, but these dents are so small I'm not sure if that will work. If I want to replace the part, I would need an entire new trunk. The trunk is about $680 unpainted, so it wouldn't be cheap. Right now, the only option I see is buying a new trunk because I can't live with the dents as they are. I will also ask the dealership what options I have. Appreciate any suggestions.

Pictures of damage attached....

Watch at 1:30 if you're wondering how i did this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trunk_Damage.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	611893  

2018 GT Base | Black | Auto | Roush Phase 1 Supercharger | Roush Triple Adjustable Coilovers | Forgestar 19X10, 19X11 wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
S197 Member

I would try paintless dent repair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

May not be a way to get to that area with paintless dent repair tools. I would think a good body shop could fill in the dents with filler, sand and paint that area without having to repaint the entire deck lid (if I'm understanding where the damage is). Would require removing the panel you just installed, however.

2006 GT 5-sp Premium Convertible

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGrand View Post
May not be a way to get to that area with paintless dent repair tools. I would think a good body shop could fill in the dents with filler, sand and paint that area without having to repaint the entire deck lid (if I'm understanding where the damage is). Would require removing the panel you just installed, however.

You would be surprised what they could do.

I had them come out for a dent on my CTS-V. It was in a section where you couldnít get tools behind it.

They glued these prongs (for lack of a better term) in the dent and they pulled the dent out. I was trying to avoid repainting as the color on the car is Black Diamond Tricoat that has a heavy metal flake. If I would have had to paint it they would need to have shot the whole side of the car to get the flake to match.

Thatís how they fix hail damage on roofs.

Itís worth at least having them look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Roush Stage 3 Phase 2 (727hp) Convertible- Convertible bar, Roush (red) coil covers, blacked out tails, 20% tint
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

My one time experience with dent removal: if they can't remove the dent - no charge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

You are suppose to pry behind the plastic cover I don’t care what anyone says. The dents can be fixed at any shop just a matter of money. You can use your insurance just tell them the truth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page