Rust on 2015 GT convertible - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Rust on 2015 GT convertible

I have a 2015 GT convertible 50th Anniversary edition with less than 25K miles. Garage stored since purchased new and driven on pretty days. Never exposed to weather for more than a couple days on trips, etc.. Walked past the car the other day and noticed bubbling on the leading edge of the hood on both sides. Closer inspection showed some bubbling on the side edges of the hood. I haven't addressed this with Ford dealer yet and wanted some guidance and insight from those of you who have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
I have a 2015 GT convertible 50th Anniversary edition with less than 25K miles. Garage stored since purchased new and driven on pretty days. Never exposed to weather for more than a couple days on trips, etc.. Walked past the car the other day and noticed bubbling on the leading edge of the hood on both sides. Closer inspection showed some bubbling on the side edges of the hood. I haven't addressed this with Ford dealer yet and wanted some guidance and insight from those of you who have experienced the same problem. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to AFM. Unfortunately this is a very common issue and there are hundreds of threads on this subject so more reading than you will be able to do in weeks on this site. Take a peak through and hope you find some helpful info. Some have luck getting it covered under warranty and surprisingly some do not have luck.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It's not rust, the hood is aluminum -- it is corrosion and it has been a known problem with these cars for years. if you want to read up on it, search on "hood corrosion" across this forum and you'll find lots of posts.

Unfortunately I think your bumper-to-bumper warranty is over so it is not covered. . . but if you have a good relationship with your dealer and you approach them nicely they might help you.
my89foxbody and MustangLife like this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I hate to be the one to tell you but there was only one 2015 anniversary edition convertible ever made. Anniversary edition badges are just a option. If it was a anniversary edition it would have a number on the dash and be priceless as ford only made one

Last edited by Jackson3010; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:25 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
Rookie

This is really unacceptable. Ford has known about this for over a decade and they still turn a blind eye to it. I would be nice if someone, with deep pockets, could file a lawsuit against Ford to force them to fix this.

2014 GT Coupe Base manual, 3:55
JLT CAI, Custom Tune, Eibach Sportline springs
Whiteline LCA & Panhard Bar
Staggered Firestone Indy 500
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Belated welcome to AFM. I see you have been updated on the Hood rot issue affecting the Mustang and many other Ford vehicles with Aluminium hoods.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

there was talk of a Class Action Lawsuit a while back, but I guess it didn't go anywhere

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedknot View Post
This is really unacceptable. Ford has known about this for over a decade and they still turn a blind eye to it. I would be nice if someone, with deep pockets, could file a lawsuit against Ford to force them to fix this.
This is nothing new. Ford has many other problems with their vehicles that they don`t want to fix for the sake of money. Look up Ford dual clutch transmission problems, or freezing F 150 door handles, or F 150 exploding rear windows, or newer 5.0 engines using oil. & the list goes on.
To be fair, every other make and model have their share of problems, think VW diesel engines for one. It just should not take lawsuits to get stuff fixed..

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Down here in Los Angeles, there have been quite a few small claims court lawsuits regarding the corrosion issue.....that have been successful.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 3 Weeks Ago
GT Member
S197 Member

Garage
This has been an ongoing problem since 2005, and Ford has done nothing to resolve the issue. The only solution is to replace the hood with either one made of fiberglass or carbon fiber, and NO Ford will not fix it for you. Look at my garage, and you will see my solution to the problem on a 2006 that I had.

Howelldaddy
89 LX Notch: Floo-Tek 5.0X heads, GT-40 intake, B-303 cam, Dynamic 3800 converter, 4.10:1 gears & lots of suspension work. 12.50 @ 106.42 MPH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page