Mustang Body Protection - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackson3010

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang Body Protection

I am interested in learning the specifics of how folks protect the paint on their Mustangs -- truthfully, I can be a bit anal in maintaining my vehicles.

My ride is a 2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible (color: Magnetic) -- a lot of fun and I'm loving it. I traded in a silver 2012 Mustang V-6 ragtop. Quite honestly, I am hesitant to drive my car for extended periods on the highway given all the crap that falls from dump trucks, is kicked up by 18-wheelers, etc. Unfortunately, short of renting a car to make my long drives between Washington, DC and Long Island to visit family I don't have much choice. I don't even like taking my car on local highways.

I've ruled out a strap-on bra as I believe that prolonged vibration and rubbing will mar the pain where the bra straps on. And, any grit that gets underneath could also cause scratches. I would only put the bra on for a long trip -- not for local driving -- but I'm not sure how easy it might be attached.

That leaves the prospect of having an invisible bra put onto the car -- the clear plastic set onto the most exposed parts of the front end.

What experience have you had with invisible bras?
Do they begin to peel off over time?
Do they turn yellow over time?
Has anyone removed invisible bras and seen a difference in the paint?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for protecting the car -- particularly the front end -- from getting pitted from high speed driving?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Have you thought about ceramic coat?

This is the product I use and really like it. Gyeon Q2 Mohs.

For rocks you need to install some type of applique if you don't want to use the Bra. Sooner or later no matter what you use on the front fascia, something will get through it or under it.

For general paint protection I recommend the ceramic coating.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
BOSS Member

Hi Shekelim! I have had the clearbra on my Mark LT for about 12 years... the good news is there has been no peeling, yellowing, etc. and I can tell you I am personally amazed at the physical protection it has provided....including rocks bouncing out of a dump truck running 70+ mph on SoCal freeway! Although there is no typical discoloration, in the past few years it has gotten a bit of what I would call a "haze" to it....kinda like water-spot white...which when I applied paint sealer to it initially it brought it back to life so to speak....but in the past year, I'm using oil (mineral spirits) to give it the nice appearance and yes, I will be replacing it.... but in all, 12 years of use is no bad at all! The newer materials are much less prone to this. BTW...my Mark LT sits outside FYI

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

There is a bunch of companies that sell the clear wrap that protects paint works pretty good it look fine. And if it last five or six years you got your moneys worth
Beechkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page