Ford Mustang Forum banner

Ask me anything about 2021 Mustang Mach E

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  ONEZ ST 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just saw the 2021 Mustang Mach E at a dealer preview and figured I'd answer any questions people may have about the vehicle.

Ask away!!!

---------------------
my takeaways.
-way better looking in real life. long wheel base, low roof.
-1000 lbs battery between wheels for low center of gravity
-some models have 4 wheel drive

-first edition has nothing worth any real money done to it. (in my opinion)

-no door handles on back doors
-6foot 6in person can sit in back seat with head room.

-40,000 units being made in 2021
-front and passenger door handles are Odd and i hope it not on the production

Just ask me questions and ill answer

See less See more
#3 ·
nope, Ive already got a 2005 mustang GT and a F150 so im not in the market right now.

Its $500 to reserve one at your ford dealer. You can reserve it now and you have the ability to change your spec before production starts. Your dealer will be notified to contact you to confirm the order when the date comes closer so you can do things like change your color or hold off your order for the GT model if you don't mind waiting for production to start on it.

#4 ·
Our Home Page News on the main news forum has about 4 RSSfedbot stories on the Mach E.

We are a pretty much a hard core group of gasoline powered Mustang junkies here, but obviously there are changes brewing in the air in the automotive industry.

You are the first to post anything based on a in-person experience from attending a review so I was naturally curious if anything persuaded you to place an order or not.

Lastly, welcome to AFM and thank you for offering to answer questions. At some point in time I think our site will need to make a new Forum for the Mach E.

#6 ·
I'm a ford sales man so I was invited to learn about the product and see it in person. I do like it, and depending on how my life is going in a year from now I could see myself driving one. But I'd just wait until I have one in the show room, have a better understanding of the tax insensitive here in RI, and apply my discounts, and see if we will be leasing. The first editions ones have like 2 small changes to them so im not worried about having that. This will not be a low production vehicle so would not jump on the boat early myself.

#5 ·
Depending on where specifically the batteries are located and how much physical protection is provided for them …..if they took a page out of Tesla....good luck in finding a AAA tow truck that will tow you....yup...their policy is "No"...and Tesla will tow it for you but...of course...there is a charge (read the small print in your 30 page agreement - grin)…… and no they won't apply it (the fee you pay them for towing) towards repairs, etc.

#7 ·
the main battery will be between the wheels as the floor. There is also a smaller battery in the front trunk that is separated by a battery isolator to supply power to the locks. if the main battery dies they clam the small battery will not and it will let you into your vehicle to access the inside and trunks.

they copied Tesla floor battery and yes towing will be an issue :(

#9 ·
@07redstang,

IMHO Ford smacked the Mustang moniker on the 4 door to push sales. Federal tax incentives apply to the first 200k units sold and then prettt much ends. To claim the credit, form 8936 is checkednoff on the 1040. However, as the OP stated they are waiting to see what incentives RI offers before they make a decision on purchase. That says a lot about what will push these off the lot.

Sadly, the Fed tax man and the States pretty much have to incentivize plug-ins to move them. So I imagine the initial production run of the Mach E might sell based on using the Mustang moniker and tax incentives.

At the heart of this in my personal opinion that Ford is up-badging an electric 4 door using the good name and reputation of a 2 door sports model that sells itself.

I do not hesitate saying this is a branding tactic Ford will regret. You simply don't hijack the good name of one of the longest continuous production historic model car without repercusions.

#10 ·
Yeah I am just not sure of the market. I mean they are coming in cheaper than Tesla, but much less performance based so they have to be cheaper. I think this is going to be a dud for Ford and honestly I am kinda hoping it is as if it takes off they may do away with the Mustang coupe and go with this crossover type deal as that is what automakers seem to be doing especially Ford as the Mustang is the only car left being made for the brand... hmmm

My wife "has" to have an SUV so if I could get a Tesla Model X for say 40K like this leaked price on the Mach E I would do it for her as the performance of the Model X interests me as with the ludicrous mode it 0-60's in less than 3 seconds. ha The Mach E's numbers aren't that impressive really though. Optioned out still slower than the Tesla so that was disappointing. Time will tell though.

I do second the though of we need to get ahead of the game though and get a separate section for the Mach E or we are going to have random posts scattered throughout.

#11 ·
@cpae6;

What is the spare parts outlook for the Mach E ?

Will owners be able to source parts on the open market?

If parts will not be available on the open market will Ford dealerships have spares in stock or will customers get MACH E parts in a timely fashion without delayed backorder.

#19 ·
In person it is way nicer. It is longer and lower roof than the pictures online make it seem. It got an aggressive look for what it is. I like it myself but I can see why people would dislike it. The outside has mustang style in the front and back but lacks it on the sides. Wish they made it more aggressive on the side profile.

The inside has no mustang feel other than the staring wheel. It has lots of missed opportunities. But for a first year its not horrible. it just need more iconic mustang style to justify the name. As a stand alone vehicle if they called it the Ford-E or something it be great. Its just it needs to carry the title mustang.

#16 ·
I would not be surprised if the beancounters are behind this. After they drop the 'regular' Mustang in favor of these, and then quietly let the "Mach-E" version fade into the twilight too, saying "Well, no one likes Mustangs anymore..."

That way they have plausible deniability for why they're dropping an American icon. They can blame poor sales and changing public interest, and not have to make any more cars, which is obviously a goal of theirs anyway.

#17 ·
Ford has created a sub divination within called the "Edison group" to take care of electric vehicles and modernize the line up. First we get the Mach -E and next is the F150. But the real truth is they don't hate gas and they are not downsizing that part of their business, its just they have green/sustainability goals they need to meet for the governments around the world requirements and incentives. The only manufacture I know that is going all in on gas/diesel is mazda.

#20 ·
So I presume 30,000 of the 40,000 units are destined for Europe if the domestic market gets 10,000.

200 units per State seems to be a dummy number like a dummy date on a court docket. It's just a soft number. CA , and a dozen other states that follow CA emissions standards are the states pushing plug ins.

The takeaway I get from the numbers is the MachE, like the S550, is targeting the EU.

Reactions: Grimbrand
#24 · (Edited)
If you own an electric for daily work commute that's one thing. I use a golf cart in our small city to get groceries. Limited use vehicle is all it is in my case.

But down the road when you really start to see electric prices skyrocket at charging stations to off set the loss of revenue from gasoline and road taxes dont be surprised. That cost savings you see today is already starting to get smaller and smaller.

Tesla is thinking about eliminating free hookup soon at their charging stations for new EV owners because of revenue needs. And some are charging $1 a minute sitting fees if you think about hooking up and walking away to leave your EV connected after its charged because they dont want folks delaying other EV any more than they are when plugins are all occupied. Bottom line is the cost savings of an EV today will vanish.

Even in Texas we have the most wind farms and it's just a small percentage of power generation. Natural gas is the largest fuel used to generate power here, and Calif. But it's usually extracted with the oil and therefore natural gas is sold off real cheap. When oil takes a hit in production (goal of going green cars) that will drive up the cost of natural gas because now the cost to just harvest natural gas will require recovery of expense which will drive up electricity rates.

I know this is long winded but before I deep dive into EV i want to see how the logistic system of supportability develops so you can get parts. How the power infrastructure intends to develop. What the electricity rates are forecast to be when oil production is reduced though it will never stop. And what will city, state and federal agencies do to continue funding roads and bridges when revenue from gasoline decreases. Trust me, even though there is talk of increasing fuel taxes for gasoline that is only delaying the inevitable for inceased EV costs in the form of fees and taxes down the road in addition to increased electricity rates.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.