Ford Mustang Forum banner

Rotor Rust

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ONEZ ST 
#1 ·
So I set up an appointment with the dealership to have the wheels on my brand new 2020 GT powder coated. They have the car 3 days and I pick it up today - the wheels look awesome. On the way home I hear this god awful sound when I turn the steering wheel side to side. I turn around and take the car back to the dealership. After a little diagnostic work they tell me that from having the car sit there for 3 days with the wheels off the rotors have rusted so badly that they need to be resurfaced or replaced - which they are doing now. I'll have the car back in a few hours with no cost to me but is that really possible or are they covering for something else?

#2 ·
that does sound pretty extreme -- yeah rotors can rust up pretty quick, and they can make bad noise when the rust is rubbing against the pads, but usually the rust comes right off with some driving and 3 days really isn't very long . . . not sure what else the noise would be from your description, don't know why rusty rotors would make noise when you turn the steering wheel

#3 ·
Ive never heard of a brake rotor rusting so bad in 3 days that it needs to be turned or replaced. It would have to sit in a salt bath to be that bad in 3 days. Usually its just brown rust that wears off in 15 miles of driving and light braking.

Its nice the dealer is repairing this but they have to if the warranty covers the rotors; typically 12mo or 12,000 miles. If they are covered I would ask them if rust embedded itself in the pads and if they are contaminated they might replace those as well.

#5 ·
It’s not b.s go out and wet your rotors every day for 3 days without using the car and a lot of rust will build up. No not enough to require resurface but enough to cause bad noises. The dealership can’t just tell you to drive it until the rust comes off because they are liable if anything happens at that point. They have to know 100% that the car is safe. If you were told to drive it and that one in a million chance happened and you got in a accident you could sue the dealership. They can’t just take random changes like that

#7 ·
I sold these cars for a living and they sat for weeks on the lot getting rained on and the surface rust wore off in a couple of miles. There was no reason to cut the rotors because as thin as they are new, cutting them will cause them to warp easier. You should have just driven it a while and it would have cleared up on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.