• 3 Post By harveyshepherd
  • 1 Post By 07redstang
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Rotor Rust

So I set up an appointment with the dealership to have the wheels on my brand new 2020 GT powder coated. They have the car 3 days and I pick it up today - the wheels look awesome. On the way home I hear this god awful sound when I turn the steering wheel side to side. I turn around and take the car back to the dealership. After a little diagnostic work they tell me that from having the car sit there for 3 days with the wheels off the rotors have rusted so badly that they need to be resurfaced or replaced - which they are doing now. I'll have the car back in a few hours with no cost to me but is that really possible or are they covering for something else?

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

that does sound pretty extreme -- yeah rotors can rust up pretty quick, and they can make bad noise when the rust is rubbing against the pads, but usually the rust comes right off with some driving and 3 days really isn't very long . . . not sure what else the noise would be from your description, don't know why rusty rotors would make noise when you turn the steering wheel

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Ive never heard of a brake rotor rusting so bad in 3 days that it needs to be turned or replaced. It would have to sit in a salt bath to be that bad in 3 days. Usually its just brown rust that wears off in 15 miles of driving and light braking.

Its nice the dealer is repairing this but they have to if the warranty covers the rotors; typically 12mo or 12,000 miles. If they are covered I would ask them if rust embedded itself in the pads and if they are contaminated they might replace those as well.
my89foxbody and Beechkid like this.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Unread 11-28-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Well I picked the car up and it runs great. They claim that all they did was resurface the rotors but my BS meter is still pinging. Oh well - all I need now is to get a thousand miles on this puppy so I can drop the hammer. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

PONY Member

It’s not b.s go out and wet your rotors every day for 3 days without using the car and a lot of rust will build up. No not enough to require resurface but enough to cause bad noises. The dealership can’t just tell you to drive it until the rust comes off because they are liable if anything happens at that point. They have to know 100% that the car is safe. If you were told to drive it and that one in a million chance happened and you got in a accident you could sue the dealership. They can’t just take random changes like that
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread 12-06-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
It’s not b.s go out and wet your rotors every day for 3 days without using the car and a lot of rust will build up. No not enough to require resurface but enough to cause bad noises. The dealership can’t just tell you to drive it until the rust comes off because they are liable if anything happens at that point. They have to know 100% that the car is safe. If you were told to drive it and that one in a million chance happened and you got in a accident you could sue the dealership. They can’t just take random changes like that
Good to know however at this point I'm just looking for 1,000 miles on the OD and some open road. Thanks for the response.

PONY Member

I sold these cars for a living and they sat for weeks on the lot getting rained on and the surface rust wore off in a couple of miles. There was no reason to cut the rotors because as thin as they are new, cutting them will cause them to warp easier. You should have just driven it a while and it would have cleared up on its own.
Jeremy Weigel likes this.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread 12-09-2019 Thread Starter
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I sold these cars for a living and they sat for weeks on the lot getting rained on and the surface rust wore off in a couple of miles. There was no reason to cut the rotors because as thin as they are new, cutting them will cause them to warp easier. You should have just driven it a while and it would have cleared up on its own.
They didn't turn the rotors and remove metal. At best they got after them with some emery cloth - no worries.

PONY Member

Like I said the brake pads are designed to that on their own. What they probably did was just drive the car awhile and hand you the keys back.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
They didn't turn the rotors and remove metal. At best they got after them with some emery cloth - no worries.
A little burnishing of the rotors to remove the discoloration seems sensible, if not a drive around the car lot to buff them out.

As dismissive as Ford is about corrosion on the hoods it doesn't surprise me they didn't jump through their skin over surface rust on rotors. But at least its cleaned up and in the same condition as you gave it to them.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in