2019 Ecoboost very low mpg - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JBert
  • 1 Post By Nelsoncp21

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy 2019 Ecoboost very low mpg

Hello all, I recently got a brand new 2019 Ecoboost in Sept 19. It has around 3800 miles on it now and I've always filled it up with Shell VPower (93 octane). My daily commute is 35 miles out of which 80% is highway driving. Still I'm averaging just 18-19 mpg. I always keep a light foot on the gas. Is this normal? Not sure what's wrong with these figures. Would appreciate any help, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I think the MPG will continue to improve with added mileage up to 10K or maybe more, but in the meantime:
> reset the MPG computer to get a more current reading
> check it by hand the old fashioned way -- write down the odometer reading when you fill up, next time write down the odometer and also the gallons to fill, the difference between the odometer readings is the miles and the gallons to fill is the gallons; miles/gallons = MPG

and remember, all of the gas that you burn counts -- so if you leave he car idling for a long time and it burns gas while going nowhere, that adds gallons with zero miles

Beechkid likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcecoboost View Post
Hello all, I recently got a brand new 2019 Ecoboost in Sept 19. It has around 3800 miles on it now and I've always filled it up with Shell VPower (93 octane). My daily commute is 35 miles out of which 80% is highway driving. Still I'm averaging just 18-19 mpg. I always keep a light foot on the gas. Is this normal? Not sure what's wrong with these figures. Would appreciate any help, thanks!

I'd recommend manually calculating the next couple of tank fulls. That gas mileage is over 10 MPG less than I am getting. My odo reads 5k. It's completely stock except for a MBRP Street Cat-back exhaust system I had installed about 1k miles ago. Up until about 3k I was averaging about 30 MPG. I'm now averaging 34 MPG. HOWEVER, my mileage may not be that good; those numbers are from the car's readout. But I'd be surprised if the MPG is more than 5% less.

I am using regular unleaded fuel, and I am a very un-aggressive driver. My highway miles are probably 90%, mine's a 2019 EB Premium with AT and it's stock other than the exhaust.

2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium AT
all stock but MBRP Street cat-back exhaust

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Personal opinion is that is dismal mileage for an ecoboost. My 6.4 pushing 4400 lbs around gets better mileage in the city.

However, your car has barely had a chance to break-in over 4 months of ownership some of which is during late fall and early winter in the northeast driving how fast and how far before reaching optimum operating temperatures? Actually should be an exclamation mark rather than a question.

As others have said, do some manual calculations to at least bump against what the cars mpg indicates.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
Personal opinion is that is dismal mileage for an ecoboost. My 6.4 pushing 4400 lbs around gets better mileage in the city.

However, your car has barely had a chance to break-in over 4 months of ownership some of which is during late fall and early winter in the northeast driving how fast and how far before reaching optimum operating temperatures? Actually should be an exclamation mark rather than a question.

As others have said, do some manual calculations to at least bump against what the cars mpg indicates.
Unfortunately, the manual calculation may not help matters, as I have found that the numbers on the dash are optimistic. For me, about 0.5L/100km or just over 1 mpUSg.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

Garage
I agree with everyone else above. I bought a new 2019 in July and right away was getting 29mpg average. I drive 50 miles each way to work 90% highway. With the cooler weather I'm getting 28.
Couple things that may be skewing your numbers. When you reset your fuel estimator you have to let it go for at least a half of tank maybe even a full tank before it starts registering accurate averages. Also like someone mentioned above if your idling a lot it will skew the numbers. If you've addressed both of those and your still getting low averages I would be taking into the dealership cause there's certainly something wrong.
PaperSniper likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybeerotten View Post
Unfortunately, the manual calculation may not help matters, as I have found that the numbers on the dash are optimistic. For me, about 0.5L/100km or just over 1 mpUSg.

If your using 1/2 liter (0.13 gallons) per 100 kilometers (62 miles) that works out to 480 miles per gallon. 5.0 Liters per 100 km would be 48 mpg.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page