Mustang GT - anyone put on a quieter exhaust? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PaperSniper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Mustang GT - anyone put on a quieter exhaust?

I have an Ecoboost now. I added an MBRP Street cat-back exhaust a month ago because the stock exhaust sounded like a Honda 50cc motorbike. The MBRP is terrific in sound and increased MPG. Nice purr now with a rumble when wanted.

I am thinking of getting a GT next purchase, but I do not want something that is LOUD. I've read several places where drivers were not happy with the stock GT sound. Has anyone added an exhaust to quiet the exhaust a bit? I want the power of a V8 next time, but I do not want to sound like a teenager; I'm 73 years old guys. <g>
I know there is the "active valve exhaust" option, which my GT will have for sure. I figure that will allow me to quiet the exhaust enough I'll not be "self-conscious".

Thoughts?

2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium AT
all stock but MBRP Street cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

At 73; don't you want the exhaust to be a bit louder, so you can hear that glorious V8? I know at 59, I do! :-)

half joking about the above . . . . I think you should test drive a GT before you worry about it too much, I think most of the people who were not happy with the stock exhaust wanted it louder . . . the active exhaust with "quiet" mode would probably do the trick.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
At 73; don't you want the exhaust to be a bit louder, so you can hear that glorious V8? I know at 59, I do! :-)

half joking about the above . . . . I think you should test drive a GT before you worry about it too much, I think most of the people who were not happy with the stock exhaust wanted it louder . . . the active exhaust with "quiet" mode would probably do the trick.

Thanks, ya smart alec whipper-snapper....
Pete Grimaldi likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperSniper View Post
I have an Ecoboost now. I added an MBRP Street cat-back exhaust a month ago because the stock exhaust sounded like a Honda 50cc motorbike. The MBRP is terrific in sound and increased MPG. Nice purr now with a rumble when wanted.

I am thinking of getting a GT next purchase, but I do not want something that is LOUD. I've read several places where drivers were not happy with the stock GT sound. Has anyone added an exhaust to quiet the exhaust a bit? I want the power of a V8 next time, but I do not want to sound like a teenager; I'm 73 years old guys. <g>
I know there is the "active valve exhaust" option, which my GT will have for sure. I figure that will allow me to quiet the exhaust enough I'll not be "self-conscious".

Thoughts?

Search using Google for "Mustang sound tube deletion kit"

What you remove is the sound tube that looks like this:

The removal kit supplies you with a rubber plug for the fire wall and a rubber cap and hose clamp for the air intake. This will quiet the noise inside the cabin.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
2.3L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post

What you remove is the sound tube that looks like this:

The removal kit supplies you with a rubber plug for the fire wall and a rubber cap and hose clamp for the air intake. This will quiet the noise inside the cabin.

On my 2018 GT, after I got tired of hearing the piped in noise, I just removed the tube from the intake tube, put a Quarter on the end of the nipple, wrapped some electrical tape around it to hold it into place, and then re-installed the tube. The tube is still there, but the piped in noise is gone. However, I think the OP is concerned about the actual exhaust noise at the end of the pipe.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post

What you remove is the sound tube

Interesting. I never heard of such a kit, thanks for passing that along to me. However, I'd want the outside sound tempered down a little also, not just inside the cabin.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Anyone know if the GT's "active valve exhaust" affects the sound that is "piped" into the cabin?

I did not know the Mustang GT even did that. I read somewhere the EcoBoost did that, but I thought that was somehow electronically produced? Seems like a weird thing for Ford to do, but then cars have gotten away from the basics many, many years ago! Both for the good and the not so good. I remember well the nice sounds the V8s made in the 1960s; pleasant rumbles, the engines sounded so powerful. Now of course we know they were not all the powerful compared to today's engines, but they sure sounded sweet to a "kid's ears". I was in my early 20s in the mid 1960s; not exactly a kid. <g>

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Anyone know if the GT's "active valve exhaust" affects the sound that is "piped" into the cabin? . . .
I don't think so -- as far as I know, there are no moving parts in the "sound tube."

The sound tube was added in 2010, when Ford increased the cabin sound insulation . . . I guess they thought we still wanted to hear the intake and other "noise" coming from under the hood.

Personally, I kinda like it . . . I miss the moan of an open 4-barrel carb and the sound tube makes up for a little bit of that . . . but I have never tried removing it so don't actually know if I'd like it better with or without; and there is probably a big difference between 2010 and 2018.

you're welcome,
"whipper-snapper"

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
My new 2020 GT/PP has the active exhaust system which give you 4 options. It has a quiet mode which makes the car sound like a sewing machine - horrible option.

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
My new 2020 GT/PP has the active exhaust system which give you 4 options. It has a quiet mode which makes the car sound like a sewing machine - horrible option.

Well yeah, but what about the other (3?) options?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Well yeah, but what about the other (3?) options?
The Normal Mode makes me smile, the Sport Mode gives me a bigger grin and the Track Mode makes me laugh out loud.

2020 GT/PP - Previous GTs (2000 - 2005 - 2012 - 2016)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyshepherd View Post
The Normal Mode makes me smile, the Sport Mode gives me a bigger grin and the Track Mode makes me laugh out loud.

Ah, sounds wonderful <pun intended>.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

The newer mustang gt with full stock exhaust is super quiet you will not have any problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page