Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mustang GT - anyone put on a quieter exhaust?

11K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Blaque Diamond Wheels 
#1 ·
I have an Ecoboost now. I added an MBRP Street cat-back exhaust a month ago because the stock exhaust sounded like a Honda 50cc motorbike. The MBRP is terrific in sound and increased MPG. Nice purr now with a rumble when wanted.

I am thinking of getting a GT next purchase, but I do not want something that is LOUD. I've read several places where drivers were not happy with the stock GT sound. Has anyone added an exhaust to quiet the exhaust a bit? I want the power of a V8 next time, but I do not want to sound like a teenager; I'm 73 years old guys. <g>
I know there is the "active valve exhaust" option, which my GT will have for sure. I figure that will allow me to quiet the exhaust enough I'll not be "self-conscious".

Thoughts?

#2 ·
At 73; don't you want the exhaust to be a bit louder, so you can hear that glorious V8? I know at 59, I do! :)

half joking about the above . . . . I think you should test drive a GT before you worry about it too much, I think most of the people who were not happy with the stock exhaust wanted it louder . . . the active exhaust with "quiet" mode would probably do the trick.

#4 ·
Search using Google for "Mustang sound tube deletion kit"

What you remove is the sound tube that looks like this:

The removal kit supplies you with a rubber plug for the fire wall and a rubber cap and hose clamp for the air intake. This will quiet the noise inside the cabin.

#5 ·
Search using Google for "Mustang sound tube deletion kit"

What you remove is the sound tube that looks like this:

The removal kit supplies you with a rubber plug for the fire wall and a rubber cap and hose clamp for the air intake. This will quiet the noise inside the cabin.

On my 2018 GT, after I got tired of hearing the piped in noise, I just removed the tube from the intake tube, put a Quarter on the end of the nipple, wrapped some electrical tape around it to hold it into place, and then re-installed the tube. The tube is still there, but the piped in noise is gone. However, I think the OP is concerned about the actual exhaust noise at the end of the pipe.

#7 ·
Anyone know if the GT's "active valve exhaust" affects the sound that is "piped" into the cabin?

I did not know the Mustang GT even did that. I read somewhere the EcoBoost did that, but I thought that was somehow electronically produced? Seems like a weird thing for Ford to do, but then cars have gotten away from the basics many, many years ago! Both for the good and the not so good. I remember well the nice sounds the V8s made in the 1960s; pleasant rumbles, the engines sounded so powerful. Now of course we know they were not all the powerful compared to today's engines, but they sure sounded sweet to a "kid's ears". I was in my early 20s in the mid 1960s; not exactly a kid. <g>

#8 ·
Anyone know if the GT's "active valve exhaust" affects the sound that is "piped" into the cabin? . . .
I don't think so -- as far as I know, there are no moving parts in the "sound tube."

The sound tube was added in 2010, when Ford increased the cabin sound insulation . . . I guess they thought we still wanted to hear the intake and other "noise" coming from under the hood.

Personally, I kinda like it . . . I miss the moan of an open 4-barrel carb and the sound tube makes up for a little bit of that . . . but I have never tried removing it so don't actually know if I'd like it better with or without; and there is probably a big difference between 2010 and 2018.

you're welcome,
"whipper-snapper" :wink:

#14 ·
I have a 2020 GT (not Premium) and I don't think it has a "sound tube" like the earlier ones. Anyway, the exhaust is a little loud, though it's fine inside the car with the windows closed. I did measure the exhaust noise level with the proper procedure of the meter being 20" from the exhaust tips at a 45 degree angle from the centerline of the exhaust. Federal standards used to be 95 dbA (A-weighted scale) and I recall measuring a Mustang Cobra from the mid 2000's and it measured a mere 87 dbA. Anyway, my car on startup registered 93 dbA, then I slowly raised the rpm up to 2000 and back down again and checked my sound meter's max reading and it was 101 dbA. So yes, it is a little loud, but nothing like the Harleys with straight pipes!

#19 ·
The deep throaty sound that every one likes is a function of the engines displacement. The larger the displacement the deeper the sound. That is why the Hemis and LS engines sound better than a 5.0 and why the gen 2 426 Hemi sounds better than the gen 3 Hemi and LS.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.