Required fuel with 2015+ GT? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tido2k

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Required fuel with 2015+ GT?

I have a 2019 Mustang Ecoboost now. I am very happy with my mileage, about 33.5 MPG with regular unleaded fuel. I know I'd get a bit more performance with a higher octane gasoline, but I do not need that. I'm a fairly un-aggressive driver usually.

What about the GT? Does it require premium fuel? I know the HP and torque numbers are better with premium fuel, but for 90% of my driving I'd a very happy with less numbers but more money in the bank. But if Ford recommends only Premium, so be it.

If premium fuel is required, that's a deal breaker for me trading my EB for a GT in a year..................

2019 Mustang EcoBoost Premium AT
all stock but MBRP Street cat-back exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

I'd be more concerned with the price of tires...

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
For the GT, as far I Know, premium (91 and up) is recommended, but not required.
my89foxbody likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
I run 87 octane regular in my 2016 GT. I usually get my gas from Costco. One time the at the Turlock Costco the regular pump wasn't working and they let us pump premium for the same price as regular. I didn't notice the difference in performance in normal street driving with 1/4 of regular remaining in the tank and the rest 95 octane premium. I have never chosen premium over regular, and it hasn't caused any problems in 38,000 miles.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
PONY Member

If premium fuel is a deal breaker then you need to just stay in the minors.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
I run 87 octane regular in my 2016 GT. I usually get my gas from Costco. One time the at the Turlock Costco the regular pump wasn't working and they let us pump premium for the same price as regular. I didn't notice the difference in performance in normal street driving with 1/4 of regular remaining in the tank and the rest 95 octane premium. I have never chosen premium over regular, and it hasn't caused any problems in 38,000 miles.

Thanks for that information. So I gather from this thread's replies that regular is required, with higher octane recommended. That's good, so alternating grades, or mixing grades ought not be a problem.

Is that a CB antenna on the white Mustang in your photo? Or are you a "stealth cop"? <g>

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I'd be more concerned with the price of tires...

...can't be any worse than my wife's car.......very soft Pirelli tires on a 440i....and she has more of a lead foot than do I.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson3010 View Post
If premium fuel is a deal breaker then you need to just stay in the minors.

<sounds of silence.........>

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
Apprentice

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperSniper View Post
Thanks for that information. So I gather from this thread's replies that regular is required, with higher octane recommended. That's good, so alternating grades, or mixing grades ought not be a problem.

Is that a CB antenna on the white Mustang in your photo? Or are you a "stealth cop"? <g>

The antenna (Italian made Sirio 5000) is for a Ranger RCI-69FFB4 transceiver. It is sold as a 10 meter band ham radio or export Citizens Band radio.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

just in case it is not already clear from previous replies -- I believe it is the same as in earlier years: you can use any octane from 87 up; the computer will automatically self-adjust to the higher octane and will get more performance from higher octane, but it is not required; it will run fine on 87

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig1957 View Post
The antenna (Italian made Sirio 5000) is for a Ranger RCI-69FFB4 transceiver. It is sold as a 10 meter band ham radio or export Citizens Band radio.

Thanks for that, I was wondering. I rarely see many antennae like that around here except on large trucks. I think it adds a bit of mystery to your car!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page