Warranty dispute - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Warranty dispute

So my 2018 GT wouldn't go into gear. Dealer said clutch/flywheel is gone. Car has 9k mi on it, 2500 of those miles were a single trip from San Diego to Miami. Car is mostly in storage except when I'm in Miami. Dealer is claiming warranty has been voided due to signs of racing. Claiming signs of heat aka blue spots on clutch and flywheel. Not gonna say I've never drove this car hard but no racing, no line lock used, never used launch control. Nothing done that could be construed as abuse. I don't ride the clutch. Been driving manuals my whole life and this is my 2nd manual mustang....so while there's always a possibility I'm doing something wrong I highly doubt it.

So question is what other causes could there be for signs of excessive heat other than misuse?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

just a SWAG: defective clutch springs -- springs not holding the plates together firmly enough, so they are slipping like you had your foot on the clutch; or misadjusted so it is not fully engaging, also causing it to slip

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
PONY Member

A clutch is generally considered a wear item, doubt they will warranty it unless a part/s failed due to a manufacturing defect.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I don't know if Ford has gone to the dogs and uses crap clutches, or maybe you had one too many hard launches but the clutch is pretty much excluded from the warranty.

Ford went to great extremes to include guidance relating to road course use such as replacing rear end lube and modifier, and transmission oil and engine oil after each event or timed limitation. But in the end they include their disclaimer that despite these added precautions, it might render a repair non-reimbursable (not covered).

So its no surprise they will not cover something they want to lump into the abuse because of discoloration.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
PONY Member
Mustang II Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

If it's true that you've never abused it then there should be no bluing on the parts. The only other way for excessive heat damage with the clutch would be it not engaging fully due to a defective part or misalignment. I'd have another garage look at it and have pics taken of it for proof along with a letter from the mechanic saying what the actual problem is. If there's no "signs of racing" then call Ford's main customer service # armed with the pics/letter and ask for reimbursement on any costs incurred thus far or tell them that you'll go thru your lawyer. I assume that the dealer documented this supposed bluing on the flywheel with pics?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBert View Post
just a SWAG: defective clutch springs -- springs not holding the plates together firmly enough, so they are slipping like you had your foot on the clutch; or misadjusted so it is not fully engaging, also causing it to slip
Thanks, this is type of info I was looking for

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
A clutch is generally considered a wear item, doubt they will warranty it unless a part/s failed due to a manufacturing defect.
Yes but it's not the reason they gave me for not wanting to warranty it

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEZ ST View Post
I don't know if Ford has gone to the dogs and uses crap clutches, or maybe you had one too many hard launches but the clutch is pretty much excluded from the warranty.

Ford went to great extremes to include guidance relating to road course use such as replacing rear end lube and modifier, and transmission oil and engine oil after each event or timed limitation. But in the end they include their disclaimer that despite these added precautions, it might render a repair non-reimbursable (not covered).

So its no surprise they will not cover something they want to lump into the abuse because of discoloration.
Never been on a road course, track, drag strip with this car. Used LC maybe once or twice, when I first got it. I'm not really a launch type of driver, prefer to bang on it from a roll. Again tho haven't don't it nearly often enough to justify overheating of anything.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajet67 View Post
If it's true that you've never abused it then there should be no bluing on the parts. The only other way for excessive heat damage with the clutch would be it not engaging fully due to a defective part or misalignment. I'd have another garage look at it and have pics taken of it for proof along with a letter from the mechanic saying what the actual problem is. If there's no "signs of racing" then call Ford's main customer service # armed with the pics/letter and ask for reimbursement on any costs incurred thus far or tell them that you'll go thru your lawyer. I assume that the dealer documented this supposed bluing on the flywheel with pics?
Thanks for this advice. I'm based out of San Diego, car is in Miami. I towed it to the dealer when I was there 2 weeks ago when it just went limp. Since it's an 2018 I assumed it was gonna be a shift fork issue like had been reported by so many people, but I guess it's not.

As of right now I haven't received documentation. The service guy just called me and told me about the blueing and that it wouldn't be warranty and asked if I wanted to pay for the repairs. I said I wanted to have the service manager call me back. I'll have one verbal discussion with him and then switch to email correspondence only. I told them to take a look at the tires since they're still from purchase and would show zero signs of racing.

Hopefully I can get it resolved over the phone as I'm not planning to go back there for a month or so, so getting it to another garage would be a pain. Not to mention the out of pocket expenses

PONY Member

As clutch discs and/or pressure plates fail there is a certain amount of heat generated and that causes the blue hot spots.

GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeco View Post
Never been on a road course, track, drag strip with this car. Used LC maybe once or twice, when I first got it. I'm not really a launch type of driver, prefer to bang on it from a roll. Again tho haven't don't it nearly often enough to justify overheating of anything.

The only thing left to ponder is the robustness of the stock clutch assy and the clamping load.

Ford wiggled its way out of including the clutch in the 12 month part of the warranty if you consider they included the brakes and rotors in the 12 month coverage. So maybe they know the clutch is not so robust or has a marginal clamping load and tends to generate more frictional heat before it bites. I have to throw my hands up on your clutch predicament.

If it needs to be replaced on your dime I would upgrade to a least a stage 1. If Ford relents and replaces it due to defective parts under the basic warranty then you're going to get an OEM or equivalent.

Edit: you can take it to arbitration too.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

Last edited by ONEZ ST; 17 Minutes Ago at 01:34 PM.
Rookie

When becoming a new customer with an insurance company, many will send you a device to track your driving. To name a few-hard stops, fast acceleration and speed to name a few.

Is it possible for Ford or another manufacturer to have installed something similar which would indicate your driving habits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in