"It Doesn't Look Like a Mustang!" - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

That's just a sad statement. True, but sad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konabluev6 View Post
I grew up with the Fox and love them, and contrary to many here, even though it doesn´t "look" like a first gen Mustang or any previous one, it still is 100% Mustang, the body proportions are there, the way they drive and handle, the seating position, the fun to drive etc.
I agree! As long as the new car is 100% Mustang it'll be all good! I'm like you. I think every generation as a certain "Mustangness" to it.

Apprentice
S197 Member

The Fox worked because it had no real competition. The Chevy was overstyled too long, too flexible and too much overhang and was hundreds of pounds heavier. The Fox also had under-styling, it was simple and tough looking.

PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangInTexas View Post
Cars in the 90s had a much sexier look to them. Including the Mustang. Then in the last decade, cars started to have to be more aggressive looking. This got more and more so and today cars have to be very aggressive looking or they're ugly. Maybe Ford can bring sexy back. There's nothing wrong with a sexy pony car, especially if it can blow the doors off everything else.
Mustangs have been good looking and they've been, well let's just be charitible and say "less" than their best.

It all comes down to personal taste and which of the manufacturers have the "edge" in any given year.

I bought a '14 GT because, for me Mustang is the clear "winner" right now vs Chevy and Chrysler..... I considered waiting but was concerned for what the '15 may look like......... that said recent photos look "OK" and I probably was worrying too much.

Still, it has't been all that long since Mustangs were so weak on performance and appearance that I don't remember a time when I wouldn't have even considered buying a Mustang. The 1990s were a tough period for Mustang, IMO. The '95 my brother owned was incredibly weak in comparison to the '96 Z/28SS I bough just a few months later.

In the 1990s? Sexy is not how I'd describe the appearance of Mustang but that's just my opinion..... more objective? Mustang performance vs LT1 and LS1 powered Camaros performance advantage.....it was a tough time to be a Ford buyer. The Camaro handled better and was considerable faster.

2003-2008 left you with no options......it was Mustang or nothing.

2009 gave us the first competetive choice since '02.

These new Coyote powered Mustangs have both the appearance and power advantage over the Chevrolet offerings today. That's a wonderful change vs the '90s and it's likely to continue into the next generation!

About the only thing to recommend in a Camaro over Mustang now is the IRS. After 2015 even that may no longer be a debatable point.

Assuming they don't screw it up on appearance the 2015 could well be an awesome car......... might even make me regret not waiting!

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebrix View Post
its a simple matter of, nobody was hardly buying the 2011+. not in the numbers they needed to to support an entire factory to it. especially with milennials. they just weren't interested in the retro look.

theyre a business, they need to turn a profit. the simple fact of the matter is, if the majority of people out there wanted the retro look mustang, they would have bought one instead of genesis coupes, Camaros, and brz's
Pricing in a tough economy matters too.

I love my new car but loaded up and with the track package it had a $42,000 price tag attached.......even after negotiation and rebates........ it was still damned near $37,000 to take it home......and that was only accomplished by pitting 3 dealers against each other.

These cars have serious competition at lower price points. Many of us think of this as a GM vs Ford vs Chrysler world where RETRO rules but few of the younger buyers feel nearly so limited. The reasonable priced "performance car" market is pretty niche in appeal and there are a lot of competitors now. So yeah, genesis coupes......even Hyundai offer BIG HP numbers in a coupe with mid range pricing.

Ford has been offering a GREAT CAR in the Mustang recently........they just don't have the pony car market all to themselves as they did for 5 years or so in the middle of the last decade. I expect the big sales numbers will be harder than ever to get to or sustain if they do get there.

2014 Mustang GT-Black-Track Package
Apprentice

new Mustangs

The Mustang name needs to go on and as stated each generation will be custom to the new look in their current life. For me growing up in the 60' & 70's the vintage cars have the visual impact that drives my passion. The Fox bodies are simple and a cult classic and a Mustang of the times, As where the mustang II. But I just can't help cutting up and redesigning them as I see proper to my taste. here is my 89 GT that I chopped and widened back in 1990, and the REVERSION a 2011 GT that we torn down and reconstructed as a throw back Retro style. Oh their is one of my SWB Thunderbirds as well, I can't wait to get my hands on a 2015 to see what we can pull out of it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00838.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	283113   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00836.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	283121   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00888.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	283129   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00847.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	283137   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3029.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	283145  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3064.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	283153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3056.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	283161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04911.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	283169   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04897.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	283177   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	283185  

Apprentice

The only things certain about Mustangs over the years have been the pony car shape, the 2+2 capacity, sportiness (milage has varied here), affordability on the low end, and the ability to personalize from the factory and after market. I think it will always retain these attributes. At the 50th, I hope they get as close to the Wow! they got in '64 as possible. It's hard to make a splash in a genre that's seen it all and barely survived some really horrid designs...I hope they pull it off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2012 Boss Yellow Blaze, Recaros/Torsen, Cover/Mats
2012 MCA PP Sterling/Lava
Rookie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PW_Pony View Post
Kids today generally aren't interested in cars no matter what they are.
I see plenty of late teen early twenty somethings driving souped up cars where I live...I think it may be more of the sad economic reality of some parts of America these days...not a whole lot of free cash for pricey cars in the pockets of college grads in places these days. A lot of new Mustangs and Camaros around with 20-30 year olds driving...bunch of souped up Lexus, Mazda, Acura types around too. I sat behind two young guys in a sweet sounding 68 Camaro the other morning going to work...also sat behind some fellas in a hopped up late 60's Ford pickup yesterday coming home from work. I think it all depends on where you live and the job opportunities available these days...

2014 MCA 3.7L edition w/6 spd manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page