What will be the 15 Mustang look like, if you were the design team lead? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

What will be the 15 Mustang look like, if you were the design team lead?

If it were me, and I was told by my boss to design a sports car that will be sold globally, I would follow the direction of Corvette Stingray or Dodge Viper:

1) Maintain its distinctive exterior design from the rest of the corporation models. I would not design a Mustang that looks like a Fusion or Fiesta in the front.

2) I would make some revolutionary changes to enhance the aerodynamics of the car. A wedge shaped car isn't bad. This could potentially increase the drag based max speed, MPG, and even 0-60 and 1/4 mile performance.

3) Yes, I would also make the car lighter and smaller, although I will make sure its exterior is more spacious than that of a Miata.

4) I would design a transmission that is as smooth as that of a Miata or S2000.

The Stingray seems to be a big success. A friend told me that a lot of the Chevy dealers are selling Stingrays $5000 to $10000 above MSRP.

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
PONY Member
S197 Member

I'm fine with what they are doing with the '15 5.0, they can't make it like a corvette or viper or they'll have to up the price a lot.
What could do is remake a mach 1 or whichever they choose to compete with the z/28.

2011 Mustang GT black. Mods: JLT CAI, JBA Long Tube Headers Catted H-pipe, GT500 axle back, Bama 93 Race tune, Koni STRTs, Speeda Sports, GT500 mounts, BMR LCAs, relo brackets and panhard bar
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
GT Member

They should have kept the retro appearance in a smaller package with ecoboost versions of the same engines.

Making it look like a Fusion was the wrong way to go, IMHO. If I wanted a Fusion, I damn sure woulda bought one.

Each time they redesign the Mustang to not look like a Mustang is expected to look (Fox, SN95), it hurts the marque.

Sent from my toilet with Crapatalk v2
---------------------------------------------------------------

427w, Tremec Magnum XL, 3.73
Too many mods to list - go here: paddedwall.org/2012mustang/Default.aspx
(Intentionally pissing off badge Nazis everywhere)
Engine swap by Two Ten Performance (twotenperformance.com) in San Antonio

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
They should have kept the retro appearance in a smaller package with ecoboost versions of the same engines.

Making it look like a Fusion was the wrong way to go, IMHO. If I wanted a Fusion, I damn sure woulda bought one.

Each time they redesign the Mustang to not look like a Mustang is expected to look (Fox, SN95), it hurts the marque.
This months Car Driver stated that the new Mustang is no longer a stand along design team effort. It's a across the board design input from all divisions. I would expect as the years go forth the Mustang will look like all other Ford products. Up to 2013 the Mustang design team had full design authority, no more! GM did that for many years and lost market share big time. I can tell you for me if that's happens I will be looking at purchasing a Corvette very soon. Ford should no better!

Last edited by 2005 white s197; 11-02-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Wording
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
SHELBY GT 350 Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Talking

If I were the design lead what would it look like?

It would look like THIS:

But it would be smaller, lighter, and faster, with a proper suspension and brake package right from the get-go.

Hers:2012 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Kona Blue Exterior/Charcoal Interior, 400A, HID/Security Pkg ,Comfort Pkg.
[COLOR="DimGray"][B]His: 2014 Mustang GT Premium,6M,Sterling Gray Exterior/Charcoal Interior,400A, Reverse Sensing/Security Pkg, Comfort Pkg SMR# 3635
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
Sean Reilly

I don't really know what all the Panic is about .......The S550 will Look just Fine!......The latest renditions up in the 2015 Spec. Thread are probably Very Close........
Sean.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
PONY Member

Car & Driver Magazine has renderings that the staff believes are accurate depictions of the 2015 Mustang. Until Ford debuts the 2015 Mustang, I have a wait and see attitude. The 500 HP version of the Coyote peaks my interest, and it is the only reason I would buy a 2015; more affordable power.

Bobby B, a patriotic Long Island Senior Citizen who drives a 2011 5.0 Premium GT Coupe, all black, 6-speed MT82, 3.55:1 differential, Bama 87S Tune, 18" diameter wheels, Pirelli P-Zeros, Comfort & Security Packages, spoiler delete.
God, please bless the USA
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Reilly View Post
I don't really know what all the Panic is about .......The S550 will Look just Fine!......The latest renditions up in the 2015 Spec. Thread are probably Very Close........
Sean.
Oh Sean, our silly, beloved moderator.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I'm fine with what it possibly could look like. They'll have all the bases covered. You can get any type of Mustang you want. From 4 cylinder Eco boost to V6s and V8s in a wide range of body styles from different years. I'm more interested in something Sqidd mentioned, in another thread, that there might be a rebirth of the Cobra in a few years. And because of that, if I was leading the design team, I'd be pushing for a real close resemblance to the 70 Fastback along with the Eco-stangs.

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Don't worry, if Mustang is going that direciton, our S197 ones will become collector's favorite very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 white s197 View Post
This months Car Driver stated that the new Mustang is no longer a stand along design team effort. It's a across the board design input from all divisions. I would expect as the years go forth the Mustang will look like all other Ford products. Up to 2013 the Mustang design team had full design authority, no more! GM did that for many years and lost market share big time. I can tell you for me if that's happens I will be looking at purchasing a Corvette very soon. Ford should no better!

===
2014 Mustang V6 3.7L 6-spd manual, with MGW shifter, Airaid CAI, BBK shorty headers, Corsa Sport axle back, strut tower brace, JLT oil separator, GT500 differential cover, BG Synchro Shift II gear oil, Redline differential oil.
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post

My two favorite Mustang body styles.
I like the car and driver rendering. It looks great!

SOLD: Black 2011 GT 5.0.
1997 SVT Cobra Mustang
Full Steeda Suspension; OR X-Pipe; Flowmaster Exhaust; AMR wheels; Pro 5.0 Shifter, etc..
Sean Reilly

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
Oh Sean, our silly, beloved moderator.
Silly?....Maybe.... Moderator?.....Eh Not any more!......Take a CLOSER LOOK under my Handle (Name)......

Sean.
PONY Member

Don't admins still moderate? I mean can't you do all the same things they can do?
Shelby Gt 350 member
S197 Member

Moved to S550 section.

Waiting on 2019 GT500

2012 GT Vert Brembo - Stock-ish

2012 F-150 FX4 EcoBoost 4x4 406rwhp/522rwtq. The most powerful EB F-150 on the planet?

2007 GT-TSR/Stops/Turns/Custom Everything/3.4L Whipple Crusher/1000hp SOLD
Sean Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by <3_3.7 View Post
Don't admins still moderate? I mean can't you do all the same things they can do?
Yeah, we still can, and do Moderate ....Just Puffing my Chest Out a bit!
Thats All

Sean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page