So they want to appeal to the European market? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

So they want to appeal to the European market?

Ok maybe someone can help me figure this out. I get that Ford wants to expand the market of the Mustang given it's declining sales over the years. I get that Europe is a profitable market. I also get why they would incorporate a 4 cylinder to be able to the appeal to the European market.

But what I DO NOT get is why Ford decided to do such a radical re-design that resembles more of European sports car and less of an American Muscle car?

The whole appeal of Mustangs in Europe is because they look so different. You bring a 2014 Mustang over there with it's intimating muscle car features, roaring engine, appearance that looks like nothing else on the entire continent, and people will be staring at you like you're a movie star.

Ford actually brought a GT500 over to Germany last year and it was incredible how much attention they received. I bet every German wanted to own a Mustang that day.

Now it looks like everything else they're used to. Plus it's still a big car for European standards. So wheres the appeal? And why should they trust an American brand car that they're completely unfamiliar with that looks like a Fusion hybrid?

Maybe I'm just missing something. Not trying to bash the new car or Ford, but I'm clueless to this decision. Someone good in Economics or Marketing help me out here lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
Rookie

I agree with what you are saying. I'm disappointed in this design. There are features I like, but I don't like how curvature of the new design is like a porshe, audi, bmw combo.

2013 GT Premium: Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Hood Scoop, Side Scoops, MMD Quarter Window Louvers, Boss Quad Side Pipe Setup, Flowmaster Outlaws

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
PONY Member

It's an interesting question. I think the fifth generation mustang could sell over in europe but it sounds like Ford wants to sell in asia and china especially. The untapped markets it sounds like. Untapped by Ford that is. I think they're aiming for luxury + fuel economy at an affordable price and still have a lot of power. I would brand it as one upsmanship to european sport cars.

2014 Mustang GT 400A 6spd, Deep Impact Blue, Track Pack, Recaro Leather, Rear View Camera
Ordered:12/04/13 VIN: 12/10/13 Window Sticker Online: 12/19/13 Scheduled: 02/16/14 Built: 01/14/14 Original ETA: 01/13/14 Home: 01/29/14

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
Apprentice

It's too bad they couldn't have released it as two aesthetically different (but mechanically similar) models... They could have called the international version the Capri or Cougar, etc... By trying to please everyone everywhere, they end up disappointing the people who kept this car alive for 50 years.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmhowitzer View Post
It's an interesting question. I think the fifth generation mustang could sell over in europe but it sounds like Ford wants to sell in asia and china especially. The untapped markets it sounds like. Untapped by Ford that is. I think they're aiming for luxury + fuel economy at an affordable price and still have a lot of power. I would brand it as one upsmanship to european sport cars.
That makes sense, but giving that the tax rate for imported cars into China is so high, I don't see this car succeeding there with it's sticker price. When I was in China most of the cars were fake knock-offs actually, and other Asian countries I visited relied more on motor bikes and public transport. But they must know something we don't. I just hope this wasn't a desperate move to get the Mustang off of life support.

Maybe Ford is just getting cocky and taking risks since they're doing so well at the moment.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007GT/CS View Post
It's too bad they couldn't have released it as two aesthetically different (but mechanically similar) models... They could have called the international version the Capri or Cougar, etc... By trying to please everyone everywhere, they end up disappointing the people who kept this car alive for 50 years.
Good post, I agree. Why not just release an even lighter, 4 cylinder version internationally and limited here, while continuing the 13-14 look with some upgrades? All they had to do was barley alter the 13' model and the sales rose right back up to the Camaro. It's not like they're blowing us away.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangMatt View Post
That makes sense, but giving that the tax rate for imported cars into China is so high, I don't see this car succeeding there with it's sticker price. When I was in China most of the cars were fake knock-offs actually, and other Asian countries I visited relied more on motor bikes and public transport. But they must know something we don't. I just hope this wasn't a desperate move to get the Mustang off of life support.

Maybe Ford is just getting cocky and taking risks since they're doing so well at the moment.
No I totally agree. The China bit I read on CNN Money or WSJ or something. They are looking into China because it is a HUGE market and mainly dominated by knockoffs. Like they just built an F-150 look alike. Honeslty it's nearly identical.

2014 Mustang GT 400A 6spd, Deep Impact Blue, Track Pack, Recaro Leather, Rear View Camera
Ordered:12/04/13 VIN: 12/10/13 Window Sticker Online: 12/19/13 Scheduled: 02/16/14 Built: 01/14/14 Original ETA: 01/13/14 Home: 01/29/14
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
Apprentice
S197 Member

I love it, its just an update to the S197. Not sure why we are so hyper sensitive about Ford moving the fog lights and cleaning up the back end.

2015 Ford Mustang | Power for the Sports Car Obsessed | Ford.com
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV6 View Post
I love it, its just an update to the S197. Not sure why we are so hyper sensitive about Ford moving the fog lights and cleaning up the back end.

Because Mustang & Apple Pie & Baseball & GM vs. Ford

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmhowitzer View Post
No I totally agree. The China bit I read on CNN Money or WSJ or something. They are looking into China because it is a HUGE market and mainly dominated by knockoffs. Like they just built an F-150 look alike. Honeslty it's nearly identical.
Yeah haha you gotta see the knock-offs they have. They're either spot-on or a disaster.

Im also VERY dissapointed....Im even starting to question my current 2013 that I bought almost 2 month ago. I feel betrayed by Ford.
I was really seriously considering to jump on that hypo-2015 train....because everything thats been previously posted and revealed made me very courious...basically nothing but B.S.
What now? ...Here we are a very badly designed Aston, with 99-04 accents ( hood, fenders, headlights..) and the rear? OMG what an ugly rear! Im not kidding ...this thing sucks and Im really thinking about ( because Im pissed ) to jump into an F 360 and forget about the Mustang....it feels like a slap in the face for a true Mustang enthusiast. What you guys dont know they also said the basic version would be around 60.000 dollars in europe...what a freakin joke!
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013MustangMatt View Post

exactly. If ford wants to break into china they are barking up the wrong tree completely.

Some Chinese company will be marketing the "HuoMa51" in about 16 months. Ford will sue. China will say "what? Theirs looks nothing like yours. Denied"

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."
PONY Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV6 View Post

well the ugly bass mouthed fusion front isnt going over well.

2012 Kona Blue GT Prem, 401A (Charc + Blue), MT, 3.73, HIDs, Glass Roof, Electronics, Rear Sense + Security, Rear View Cam.
JHR bracket, FRPP, Steeda Sport Springs, Pro Action Dampers, adj Panhard, J&M Camber Plates

2004 Xterra (Sold) 2000 AltezzaRS (AKA-Lexus IS200 Sold)
"Mustangs are like good looking women. You can spend a lot of money dressing them up, but really they just look better naked."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page