2015 Mustang GT 18" wheels on a 2012 Mustang - fitment? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2015 Mustang GT 18" wheels on a 2012 Mustang - fitment?

Has anyone put 2015 Mustang GT wheels on a 2012 (or similar) Mustang? I found a set of the 2015 GT upgrade wheels (18") that I really like, for sale, but want to ensure the fitment will work, and that my lug nuts (I currently have 19" Performance Package wheels) will work on these wheels too.
My reasoning (because people will ask) for going from the 19's to 18's is that I'm not a fan of the 19" performance package wheels I have, and 19" tires are ridiculously expensive, especially when they are only good for about a year. I like the looks of the new 18" GT upgrade wheels and think they'd look good on my silver Mustang.
Anyone know? thanks in advance.

Here's the wheels I'm hoping to get:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00d0d_SCpXsATa6N_600x450.jpg
Views:	8404
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	427146  

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015
GT Member

I

I looked up to purchase wheels from American Muscle and cross referenced the part# and they are the same wheel in description but different part#. That is what I know to answer your question and it looks like no.

The other thing I will do is look up racing wheels and see if ones that fit 10-14 will fit a 2015.

T Wayne

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015
GT Member

OK

OK I just did a cross reference for the Race Star Wheels 18X5 and the Manufacture Part Number is the same for the fronts on a 2011-2014 and 2015 (ALL) so the must have the same bolt pattern.

My question is the steering stop on your car??

I know that the 05-09 V6 had a different steering stop that the GT/P did with 18 inch wheels and is the same stop used in the
GT500. But if you have a 05-09 GT or V6 with 16"/17" wheels from the factory wheels then you had a shared steering stop and 18 inch wheels would rub. I think since you had 19 and dropping you should be fine but understand that a wide 18 tire may still rub up front.

So I think at this point they will fit the front I don't know about the rear do to offset and don't go to fat in the front if you decide on 18's even though it came with 19's do to steering interference.

T Wayne

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015
GT Member

Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_gecko View Post
Has anyone put 2015 Mustang GT wheels on a 2012 (or similar) Mustang? I found a set of the 2015 GT upgrade wheels (18") that I really like, for sale, but want to ensure the fitment will work, and that my lug nuts (I currently have 19" Performance Package wheels) will work on these wheels too.
My reasoning (because people will ask) for going from the 19's to 18's is that I'm not a fan of the 19" performance package wheels I have, and 19" tires are ridiculously expensive, especially when they are only good for about a year. I like the looks of the new 18" GT upgrade wheels and think they'd look good on my silver Mustang.
Anyone know? thanks in advance.

Here's the wheels I'm hoping to get:

I do like those wheels and the center caps. The Tri Bar caps are very nostalgic, but the Running Pony is simple and to the point.
They really finish the wheel nice but like the wheels not over stated or flashy.

T Wayne
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wayne View Post
I do like those wheels and the center caps. The Tri Bar caps are very nostalgic, but the Running Pony is simple and to the point.
They really finish the wheel nice but like the wheels not over stated or flashy.

T Wayne
Thank you for the help! I'm not sure about the steering stops .. but I do know that these GT wheels are half an inch narrower than the 19" wheels I have on my Performance Package and the tires are also narrower than what I currently have, so I'm sure there will be room.

2012 Premium V6 (manual) Mustang Club of America with Performance Package, comfort package, electronics package, backup sensors/camera, lava red leather interior
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I think the only sticking point may be that the lug nuts may not work from my current wheels (and I'll need to swap over my TPMS sensors)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015
GT Member

Well

Well if the wheel goes on then I would think that Ford for production and cost would use the same lug nuts. So start looking up lug nuts and see if the MPN mates up like the wheel cross reference that was used to determine the front fitment.

The TMPS?? I find those things to be more trouble that they are worth. But people like us check these things on a regular basis.
I just think it's a part of good maintenance.

T Wayne
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Yeah, I like having them.. my car is a daily driver/commuter that gets 22-25k miles per year put on it, while I have done a couple things to it, it's not a track car or anything where I'm frequently checking tire pressure, not to mention, I don't want to deal with having the dash light on all the time if I remove the sensors.
I picked up the wheels last night.. really happy with how they look on the car (I mounted on when I went to look at them to see how they looked, will swap the TPMS sensors over this weekend from my old wheels to the new ones). It was still on the jack when I took this photo ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11133646_10153165155781675_8219765485111048051_n.jpg
Views:	5845
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	427450  

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015
Rookie

I've been thinking about this same change on my '13 GT, and wanted to ask what you found with the lug nuts, did the old ones work?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

old lug nuts work fine! I ended up taking the new wheels/tires to Discount Tire, and had them swap the TPMS sensors from my original wheels to the new ones, and bought the road hazard warranty for all 4 tires - so they took care of the TPMS swap for free for me. Cost me about $112 out the door with 4 road hazard warranties, TPMS swap, and mounting new wheels on the car. Very happy with them.
https://instagram.com/p/1Y-a2znT5l/?...hybymarkbrooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page