'12 GT or '15 Eco - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
PONY Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasticsprite View Post
All right. I went 2015 Eco. The dealer tossed me an extra $1000 off when I explained that I was hesitant and didn't know whether to go with his car or the other one. That took me off the fence. I pick it up tomorrow at 10AM!

In order to get that power, though, I'm going to pick up the Bama tune and the Air Raid CAI right away. I want that low-down torque they keep talking about!
I picked up the Bama Tuner and installed it yesterday. The Race tune was too much for a daily driver IMO (with the wife driving it as well). But, the performance tune is perfect. As for warranty, I had a tune on my 10' and took it to the dealer a few times... I just flashed it back. They would have to have proof that the tune caused damage to whatever issue you are having. Ford is coming out with their own programmer as well but no release date and it goes for 200 more than the SCT from Bama. Congrats!!

2015 Mustang Eco Boost- Current

2010 Mustang GT Premium-Traded

2009 Mustang GT Premium-Traded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSN95guy View Post
IMO it's not worth getting a GT without the track pack!!
why is that?

gears are a cheap easy change, the suspension is replaceable and better from the aftermarket, and 9.5 wheels in the back isn't enough. not knocking the track pack at all, I think it's great, but I' don't agree with your comment.

2007 Black GT Premium
JLT Series 3 CAI | Brenspeed 91 | FRPP 4.10 | Bassani Catted X-Pipe | Bassani Axle Backs | Steeda UDP | Saleen N2 Suspension | Steeda LCA | 18" 2010 GT500 Replicas | Front:Nitto Invos Rear:Nitto NT05s | Xenon Front Bumper and Rear Lip | Matte Black Emblems | Smoked Lights

2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca - Black
19" Forgestar F14 Wheels | Michelin PSS | Whiteline Rear Sway Bar | Boss 302S Oil Separator

Last edited by dakobster8; 05-07-2015 at 12:12 AM.
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakobster8 View Post
why is that?

gears are a cheap easy change, the suspension is replaceable and better from the aftermarket, and 9.5 wheels in the back isn't enough. not knocking the track pack at all, I think it's great, but I' don't agree with your comment.
Gears ARE a cheap and easy change (for me, and sounds like you too). But for the cost of the Torsen Diff, the gears, all the gaskets and such if not provided with the gear swap kit, the cool strut tower brace, the larger radiator, and MOST importantly, the Brembos!

All of what comes in the track pack, even if you were to buy all that stuff after the fact and put it in, it would cost you just about the same price....

When you buy the car with the track pack, you can just simply go back to the dealer if you have an issue with your gears/radiator/etc. when you start changing stuff, they tend to put the blame on you.

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)

Apprentice
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Gears ARE a cheap and easy change (for me, and sounds like you too). But for the cost of the Torsen Diff, the gears, all the gaskets and such if not provided with the gear swap kit, the cool strut tower brace, the larger radiator, and MOST importantly, the Brembos!

All of what comes in the track pack, even if you were to buy all that stuff after the fact and put it in, it would cost you just about the same price....

When you buy the car with the track pack, you can just simply go back to the dealer if you have an issue with your gears/radiator/etc. when you start changing stuff, they tend to put the blame on you.
hmm...yeah I guess I can see your point, I wouldn't go as far as saying w/o track pack is not worth getting, but hey, I'd go for a PP version, so what's that say haha.

2007 Black GT Premium
JLT Series 3 CAI | Brenspeed 91 | FRPP 4.10 | Bassani Catted X-Pipe | Bassani Axle Backs | Steeda UDP | Saleen N2 Suspension | Steeda LCA | 18" 2010 GT500 Replicas | Front:Nitto Invos Rear:Nitto NT05s | Xenon Front Bumper and Rear Lip | Matte Black Emblems | Smoked Lights

2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca - Black
19" Forgestar F14 Wheels | Michelin PSS | Whiteline Rear Sway Bar | Boss 302S Oil Separator
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Although, guys, tell me there is something wrong with me cuz i REALLY didn't like the ecoboost when i tried it. I feel like it rides similar to my GT, but it felt like i had to be around 4500rpm for the car to wake up!! where is the fuel savings in that??

maybe i'm just broken haha
It's a weird motor. After close to a month, my opinions are a little different than at first and I thought I'd come back and report on them. For one, short-shift this car. The powerband is bizarre. You get nice grunt down low, good torque (comparable to a V8 in my opinion), around 3000-5500 RPM you get boatloads of power. It builds up and, if it kept going, it would rival 5.0.

But here's the key: it DOESN'T keep going. Past 5800RPM or so, it just has nothing left to give. The 5.0s I test drove had a nice steady buildup to monster power. This has the same... until 5800RPM, then it's done. I use the paddle shifters all the time to keep it in the power band.

I applied a Bama tune, and that helps a bit. It pushes the drop off point to 6000-6100RPM and adjusts the shift points on the automatic to better reflect the power band. It also added MEGA torque to the low end. Before it felt close to a V8 in torquey-ness. Now it feels like it actually exceeds many V8s in that. My butt dyno says this is easily pushing north of 350 torque to the rear wheels.

But even with the tune, 6100 is the limit. You have a redline at 6800, and a limiter at 7300, but there's no point in going that high, ever.

Don't get me wrong. I still like this car. For saving almost $10,000 off a new GT, there has to be a catch SOMEWHERE, and I found it. Handling-wise, *all* the 15s are better than the previous gen, and that makes it great as my daily driver. 0-60 it actually hangs pretty well with 5.0 GTs, but drops off north of that (the 5.0 rules the freeways - don't embarrass yourself by challenging one). Tuned, it easily stomps the 4.6L and 3.7L cars I test drove. But if folks are looking for a 5.0 replacement, even tuned, this 4 banger ain't it.

The Ecoboost is its own animal and, if anything, actually reminds me of high-displacement, low-horsepower, big block V8 torque monsters of the past (which is a compliment for a little 2.3L 4 banger). Certainly, it doesn't feel like the smooth, powerful, consistent grunt of the 5.0 motor.

If anyone else here is going through the same decision process I did -- the best buy in the low-to-mid $20k range... here's my advice:

If you want a good handling daily driver, go '15 Ecoboost. It's respectable and feels like an older V8, even if it doesn't sound like one. In every other way except power it's a superior buy.

On the other hand, if it's power or bust, go used GT and don't think twice. This motor is NOT a replacement for a 5.0.

And if you have $35k or so, stop reading and buy '15 GT. Full stop.

2.3L Ecoboost Automatic
GT Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TigerSN95guy
Well, thanks for the review sprite! I commend the ecoboost for what it is, it just felt funny to me. Good review!

2015 Mustang GT Premium with Track Pack (i think calling it the performance package was just dumb)
Apprentice

OP...Congrats on your new ride! Although I would've preferred the look of the older 'Stang and the power of the V8, I would've gone for the comfort and the "modern" car. Love the color!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page