What Is This Thing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

What Is This Thing?

Apologies ahead of time for jumping on here just to ask a quick question, but I've found that sometimes the best info can be gotten on car forums.

Don't have a Mustang (anymore), but my mom ended up with one from Enterprise after her car was hit. She was driving it yesterday and she said she heard/felt something fall off. There was a black part hanging off the back so she took it back to Enterprise. They are saying she caused it (they say she hit a curb or something) and want her to pay for it.

Mom is old. Her car that was hit was a minivan. She doesn't drive hard enough to break anything. I went by on my way home and the car was still sitting outside so I took a look and tried to get a picture. It's a black plastic box. It looks like it sits up in a recess under the trunk so I'm not sure how you could hit it with anything without doing serious damage to the bottom of the car. The only damage I could see was on the one edge but that looks like it was caused by being dragged, not from hitting something. Based on where the part is, I'll add that it is a convertible in case it is something to do with the top.

Any idea what this thing is and if there are any known problems with it? Bad enough her car is totaled and she has to figure out how to get a new one, I'd hate for her to get screwed by Enterprise too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	435641  

Last edited by jeb6294; 05-08-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Attached better picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

idk what that is but hopefully her normal insurance (or credit card) will cover damage to the rental.

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

They said she had to pay them to cover her deductible so that's a few hundred bucks and then I wonder if that would bump her premiums up.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

they may, but that has the look of an expensive part. w/o insulting Mum I wonder if she hit a rock (or something) that bounced up and knocked that part down. The other hassle of damaging a rental car is you normally have to cover the cost of rental till it's fixed.

good luck

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015
Administrator
Classic Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Not positive but that looks likely it could be the fuel tank. The black cover looks like the tank cover and that sorta looks like the filler neck going down to it. If it is I'm not really sure how your mother could have caused it. Check and see if the pipe going down to it leads to where you put fuel in the car, if it does then its your tank.

Engine mods - all stock, trust me, wanna run??!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015
BOSS Member

Garage
I think that's part of the evaporative emissions system. I suppose it could have fallen off but it seems unlikely. It really shouldn't just fall off the car unless she or a previous drove over something and it was ripped off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015
Rookie

If she doesn't remember hitting anything, I'd tell them to pound sand and I'l see them in court. Car should be under warranty anyways.

2015 GT Premium with PP
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015
Apprentice

Hard spot to be in... I'll have to take a peak under my car tomorrow and see if I can spot that part and give you a better idea of what it is.

How old is your Mom? Is it possible she hit something and did not notice?

It is possible the car was damaged from the previous driver and it fell off while your mother was driving it. We can only speculate on what actually cause it to fall off as none of us (including you) were in the vehicle.

Go look under the vehicle and see if you can spot any points of impact or any signs that the part was actually hit/ripped off. Take more pictures as well..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspadoo View Post
If she doesn't remember hitting anything, I'd tell them to pound sand and I'l see them in court. Car should be under warranty anyways.
good luck with that....

With both the sand AND wtty parts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page