Yeah so 1,400 miles and my Ecoboost has a blown head gasket - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu13gt View Post
Also you can't blame the car quality for technicians not doing their job properly.

I spent the last decade playing with small displacement high horsepower turbocharged cars man. So they cost a lot to repair? Yes but 99% of the time a failure is due to improper maintenance, poor/improper modding, not performing correct services on time, or just overall poor ownership.

Also like I said in my first post there isn't enough data out yet to prove if the 4cyl ECOboost engine is going to be reliable or a lemon. I mean this is the first year of having it in the current configuration for the Mustang.

Agree with above but, if you look at the actual boost (delivered) boost (not just the "rating"), the Eco series engines are much higher and the throttle lag and overboost protection while great from a design/engineering standpoint allows a lot higher boost delivered than the referenced cars.......(20psi+ is not unusual to be seen).

With regards to the eco.....and this is from a MSE tech support chat room.....specifically diagnostics in regards to throwing the timing chain....

12/31/14

“at our dealership we haven't had one toss the chain but have had maybe 6 (this month alone) or so that ALL the front timing stuff was replaced. All ecoboost engines are junk. Lots of misfires, cooling problems etc….don't buy a new escape -PERIOD (garbage)”

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BOSS Member

There appears (over the last decade if you include the Lincolns) to be 2 consistant issues.....timing chains and mis-fires...this is just what I was able to scan in a couple of minutes...it’s starting to show…..

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s550-general-discussion/861994-yeah-so-1-400-miles-my-ecoboost-has-blown-head-gasket.html#post7606978

6-1-15, BLK50

“Yeah so 1,400 miles and my Ecoboost has a blown head gasket, I started it up at work today and drove out of the parking lot and look back and see this huge cloud of white smoke. Pull over and stop and look and there's what smells like steam coming out of the exhaust.” I took it easy on the car and never hit redline in the first 1,000.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1376361-engine-fail.html#post15317028

04-30-15, 04:16 PM bctimber

“Well I was driving it made a big bang/ puff noise then the no oil psi came on and runs like its on 2 or 3 cyl.”

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/ford-3-5l-ecoboost-engine-failure-117517/

04-04-2013, 03:23 PM EcoBoom

“When I went to the dealer I asked them to bring it in and look see what the issue was and what I had though it was. (turbo) they lifted it up and removed the skid plates to find a hole on either side of the block just above the oil pan rail. to shorten this up. They quoted me $12+ to install a new motor”

Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm inkryptic

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10429

...#5 was misfiring. It turn out there is a hole in the piston.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2012-f-150-king-ranch-blown-motors/

Engine number 2 blowing up within 3 weeks. Another new long block will be going in as well as turbos and whatever else I need. They found cylinder 3 and 6 had been flooding/running rich and blew apart. Same problem as before. He says they will be testing the fuel injectors and fuel system all around

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems/1599-2012-ecoboost-f150-engine-failure.html

08-22-2013 Blueflame12

I have a 2012 F150 with the Ecoboost engine and it has about 34k miles. As I was driving to work, which was only about 4 miles from the dealer, the tapping noise suddenly got very loud following a BANG. The engine began shaking and loosing power. The next day I get a call saying the engine suffered catastrophic failure and was going to be replaced under the warranty. They said metal chunks were found in the oil and the turbos were damaged too

http://www.f150online.com/forums/v6-engines-including-ecoboost/500924-blown-ecoboost-engine.html#post5116221

cburbee 11-04-2014

“I have a 2011 f150 ecoboost. 130000km on it. I was driving down a gravel road 2 days ago and the engine misfired…….went into limp mode……..Backed off on the throttle then gave it again and seemed fine. Got to a stop sign and heard the dredded ticking/knocking coming from engine. Drove straight to the dealership….told me engine is toast, metal filings all through the bottom end. No idea what caused it. I was quoted 15k for the replacement (canadian). Ouch……..don't buy one of these trucks used off warranty unless you have lots of money in case you need to fix it.

Mtnmanut 11-04-2014

“My POS ecoboost did that at 2000 mile. Ticking knocking and lots of shavings in pan and filter. New motor under warranty. first complaints to dealer was piss poor mileage,ticking and knocking. took blowing it up and ford rep to get them to look at it.”

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1345431-what-do-u-guys-think-of-new-ecoboost-7.html#post14955749

b bricker 12/31/14

F150 Ecoboost timing chain

“My 2012 F150 ecoboost just tossed its timing chain. Ford told me no recalls or notices. After I spoke with a master technician, there is a TSB on the timing chains. Cost me 8000.00 to repair (apparently I am not the only one). Ford did nothing for me. No warning or codes - just tore the valve train out. Thank you Ford for the Christmas Gift....

My experience : be VERY careful with the ecoboost V6

Oh yes, this was after when I first bought the truck and they couldn't find out why it was misfiring within the first year - Ended up replacing the wiring harness and all the coil” packs. At my cost...because guess what? An engine wiring harness is not covered by drive train warranty.

Buyer beware ....on this one. And by the way, I restore my own cars and mechanically inclined and maintain my equipment very well. Soooo....

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
I should have been more clear - the problem is not really the techs, it's the system. Most of the techs I've talked to do not like the flat rate system.

Really it only saves the dealership money because they know what they are charging the customer (who is Ford in the case of warranty claims) and they know what they will pay the techs. If a tech cuts corners and books more flat rate time than he actually works, the dealership makes more money. If there's no work in the shop then they don't have to pay the techs, so they don't lose there either. It simply guarantees more money for the dealership.

Then there are the great techs who just want the car owner to have their problem solved and be happy - the guys who really take pride in their work. Those are the guys getting screwed in the deal.

Really, it's just another form of commission sales, and it just reinforces bad habits and cutting corners. The guys know they can make money by pushing them out the door as quickly as possible and those that don't really care are rewarded for that style of work.

So all in all, the techs lose, the customers lose, and the dealership wins.
No harm no foul.

I completely agree.
And there's favoritism, shop writers that will hold bills for certain techs, or the foreman doesn't want someone getting too much, so passes it off to others.

It's a brutal system.
Don't work hard enough, get the axe.
Work too well, get shafted.

I worked at an independent shop for a bit, paid hourly, with incentives. So even on a slow day, I still made a living wage.
Granted it was lower than at a dealer, 12 flat.

But for getting things done well and quickly, my boss would cut me 40% of the job on top of my rates.

All four of us that worked there, were content as can be.

Ask any tech, old or young, reform is needed.
You push good techs out the door with the BS, and it also can foster a IDGAF attitude with many.

But like you said, it's about the dealer making the money.
And I completely agree, I HATED doing warranty work lol
Same brake job as any other at a third of the pay.

Oh well, that's the profession I chose.

I just do it at home now

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration

PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Send a message via AIM to blu13gt Send a message via MSN to blu13gt
ok well like I said before I have done turbo cars for a long time. Every referenced story there aside from the timing component issues is likely attributed to one of two things or a combination of both. Out of control boost, or knock retard not retarding timing enough when knock is detected. Either one would be directly attributed to poor programming in the ecu.

And if these problems are widely spread then I would absolutely avoid the ECOboost until they get it under control.

I don't however believe it is a hadware issue. These engines are built with solid quality components. Ford probably went too aggressive with the timing and not aggressive enough with the boost control.

And honestly it makes sense since the cars are only rated to 310 but dyno runs on factory unmolested cars show a good bit more than that consistently.

Basically it looks to me (assuming the stories you posted are common) like ford needs to spend more time on the tuning.

I have built 2.0 and 2.3 engines from stock 210 hp to 750-800 hp. The only time I see failures like holes in Pistons or blocks (assuming a sufficient and properly operating fuel system) is when the car had excessive knock from over boosting or too much timing advance that the ecu could not control enough.

I really hope this isn't a real big issue though. I was planning to buy my wife an ECOboost next year some time. But now I have to really think about that and some more research on the 4cyl engines. All the issues you listed were on the v6 right? Has there been any similar issues on the 4 cyl? Because honestly from what I have seen the only real relationship between the 4 and 6 ECOboost is the name. And 4 cyl turbos are a lot more common and proven than v6. So the design would be easier since there is a lot more successful designs to take from.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
2013 GT Deep Impact Blue W/ Brembos
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. More mods than I can remember.
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastStang14 View Post
No harm no foul.

I completely agree.
And there's favoritism, shop writers that will hold bills for certain techs, or the foreman doesn't want someone getting too much, so passes it off to others.

It's a brutal system.
Don't work hard enough, get the axe.
Work too well, get shafted.

I worked at an independent shop for a bit, paid hourly, with incentives. So even on a slow day, I still made a living wage.
Granted it was lower than at a dealer, 12 flat.

But for getting things done well and quickly, my boss would cut me 40% of the job on top of my rates.

All four of us that worked there, were content as can be.

Ask any tech, old or young, reform is needed.
You push good techs out the door with the BS, and it also can foster a IDGAF attitude with many.

But like you said, it's about the dealer making the money.
And I completely agree, I HATED doing warranty work lol
Same brake job as any other at a third of the pay.

Oh well, that's the profession I chose.

I just do it at home now
And this is why I left the automotive service career path and went to the aircraft maintenance career path. I still love working on cars. But at my pace and on my terms

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/mustang-s197-sale-classifieds/973497-factory-gt-flowmaster-axle-back.html#post8825354
Stock 2016 EB
FRPP GT500 axle back, MGW race spec, Koni yellows, Eibach Pro Kit, GC camber plates, BMR LCA & relocation brackets, MRR-M350 19X10 Piano Black Wheels.
2014 Smart for Two.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Guys there's no issue with mine afterall. I have no idea on the white smoke. But now I'm second-guessing this Cobb Accessport I just bought.

2012 Boss Laguna Seca #290 and 2015 PP Ecoboost (Daily Driver )
Previous: 2011 GT, 2000 Camaro SS, 93 Lightning
PONY Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Why? What is making you question the Cobb?

Stock 2016 EB
2014 Smart for Two.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Nothing soecific on the Cobb, just potentially having more engine issues and Ford voiding my warranty due to tune.

GT Member

Get it fixed under warranty and trade it in for a V8.....

2016 Ruby Red GT/CS 401a automatic with 3:55 gears, bone stock, but not for long!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I have a 12 Boss LS so this car is just my daily.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Update: not sure, but my car does blow smoke on start up still - it's done it twice since the original post. There's really no pattern to it. It's just a whispy steam-like smoke so I guess I'll keep driving the crap out of it until/if it breaks.

GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastStang14 View Post
Not to be argumentative. But I would like to throw in the defense of a tech.
Not saying all are truly passionate about their jobs,or god's gifts to fixing things.

But flat rate can be a rough system.
Not saying cutting corners to push more work through is good either.

But I had days where I clocked in, had one job, then sat on my ass for 6 hours.
So I got paid for 1.5 book time. Then the shop was dead and I was screwed for six unpaid hours.

But I will agree there are many who will cut corners to up production.
And while I disagree, I will also lament...
Until the system changes, people have jobs...and need money.

On a busy day with the usual issues, I could do great.
On slow days I wondered why I even came in to not get paid.

And sometimes....something would go wrong, and I only got paid book, after having to tear through a mess of "mods" which in turn made the simple task monumental.

But I digress.
Just saying there are good techs, who love the field, and just love wrenching, they want to fix it. They want it done right. And feel that personal satisfaction having done so.
And there are bad ones....

Sorry haha rant over

Sorry not all dealerships flat rate still don't mean tech don't get paid when there's nothing to do. Book time is what they will pay but it's not set in stone. I'm paid hourly no matter what I'm doing but in most cases I'm doing engine work or engine diag.
Sad part forums throw everyone under the bus but really sad part most don't have clue just like to complain makes them feel better
FastStang14 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page