Exhaust Inquiry - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Apprentice

Garage
Did you go with the Roush Axle-Back Exhaust or the Roush Quad Tip Axle-Back? I'm getting my new 2015 Mustang GT on Wednesday! I watched a video on the Quad tips and looking to go that route.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice

Quad tips require a new rear bumper. Check cj pony parts video on youtube.

2015 Mustang V6. The 'Go' came from the factory. Working on the 'Show' part.
Concert Photographer for NashvilleBeats.net
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessethompson View Post
I like the roush axle backs. I had them on the 12 GT for a while before swapping to the flowmaster American thunders. I am a flowmaster guy, I do not like the 44 series though. I have been thinking about a set of original 40's on my 15. Why are people going with axle backs vs a set of mufflers installed by ga shop? It's much cheaper this way. Am I missing something?
People believe the hype that mufflers costing $500-1000 are better than those costing $100-200 installed. Go with the sound you like. Its not like a catback adds more than 1-3hp and pretty much zero for an axelback.

Rookie

Out of curiosity, what is "drone"? Sorry I am very new to Mustangs... lol

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic433297_1.gif
GT Member

Frequency noise through exhaust that buzz's or rings your ears
n1x1n likes this.
Apprentice

Make a monotone humming noise. I have it with mine, but its only an issue around 2000-2500 rpms with cruise on. If you drive by yourself, its ok. But if you want to talk to a passenger..... its really annoying
n1x1n likes this.

PONY Member
5.0L Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1x1n View Post
Out of curiosity, what is "drone"? Sorry I am very new to Mustangs... lol
Very annoying and will give you a headache for sure. I had my resonator out for 1 night and put it back in because it was too much with wife and kids. The guy at the local Mustang performance shop here did make a good point though. Drone and popping wasn't too bad until they started mounting the mufflers behind the rear axle. He did an S550 and put smaller mufflers before the IRS and the extra piping going to the rear greatly reduced the drone and popping.
n1x1n likes this.

2015 50th Anniversary Deep Impact Blue
Rookie

I'm surprised that the axle back roush exhaust is mellow around town until you step on it. I had roush axle backs on a 14 GT premium I just traded in for a 16. The Roush I had, wish I could remember the model, were extremely aggressive, all the time. I loved it. My family could hear me from half a mile coming home. On the highway, drone was unending at any speed. As much as I enjoyed that, for the 16, I am thinking borla street cat backs, magnate flow street cats, or flow master street cats.

Does the resignator in the 15-16 calm them down from the 10-14 mustangs that the roush is tamed? Did any of you use roush axle backs and install an x pipe?

Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane! - Steven Wright

1966 C Class Convertible, 289 4 Speed
2016 GT Premium Coupe, 6-speed manual, Dk Gray

Last edited by pa-fatboy; 10-25-2015 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page