S550 5.0L 1st Oil Change and Oil Consumption - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

S550 5.0L 1st Oil Change and Oil Consumption

Hello All,

This is my first V8, I purchased the car new and basically followed the break in procedure exactly. RPM's varied but never went above 4K for the 1st 1000 miles.

After 1000 miles engine still has never been bounced off of the red line but it has seen the upper end of that rpm range especially after getting a roush exhaust

What is the recommended mileage for the first oil change. I am currently at 2450.

Also, I noticed the Oil level which was previously almost at the top level is now reaching the mid point of the measuring hatch. Is it normal to consume a little oil?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015
Apprentice

It is normal for them to consume a small amount of oil. Especially if you drive them hard. I do my oil changes every 7000kms so I guess 4000 miles but mine isn't a daily driver. Depending on what you do with your car I recommend synthetic and a good filter. I use the ford racing filters. Upon taking numerous maintenance courses for work it always comes down to the filter is the most important part.

[SIGPIC]2013 GT/CS with FRPP 624 supercharger kit, Ford racing 3" catback, Barton short shifter and 2post bracket, aluminum one piece drive shaft, Ford Racing Laguna Seca wheels, Ford racing SVT Brembo front brakes, GT/CS door sil plates, Chrome shifter ball, Ford Racing boost guage in Roush vent pod
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015
Apprentice

Garage
The manual says the mustang oil should be changed at 10k. Let me know if I'm incorrect..

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015
MACH I Member
S197 Member

It sure wouldn't hurt to do first one at 3000=5000 miles and then do the regular schedule. Get rid of them first wear particles.
Dave

2015 Stage 3 Roush
'66' Ranchero w/almost done 302 T-5 swap
2000 4x4 Ranger
2003 4x2 Ranger
'69' Fairlane Cobra, 428 4-speed waiting for work
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member

Up to 10K/1yr depending on driving. You'll find different opinions I'm old school and prefer the 1st one early (1k) but admit it's just opinion and it helps me sleep. The other suggestion is I like to pull fuel pump relay/fuse to allow 2 10 second crank cycles after each oil change to allow the pump to prime. Once again just my .02 OP, glad you check it not every one does

2012 V6 traded in for a 2017 VW GTI.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I would do an early change, like now, and then follow the oil life monitor -- it will tell you when an oil change is due.

For "extra protection" use an extra good oil. I like Mobil 1 Extended Performance because it is a good synthetic oil and reasonably priced at Walmart in 5-quart jugs.

You can also get the motorcraft filter at Walmart, though the Ford racing filter wouldn't hurt.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page